Author Topic: Quality issues on new CZs  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Fishking

Quality issues on new CZs
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:53:36 AM »
Hi team, new to the forum but stalked heavily before my last 2 purchases. A little background, I have a stupid amount of guns for no apparent reason other than the wife keeps telling me I can’t buy more. Most of the non 1911s are strikers except for a few Sigs and a 92. Have never had an issue out of the box with any pistol until these CZs, one of which I bought to replace the G43 and had a UBG holster waiting for it when it arrived.

Was super excited to grab a CZ rami bd and an sp-01 tactical a few months back, both in 9mm. Broke them down and oiled them right away and went to the range the next day. During break in I go through 5-600 rounds of fmj running the gambit from 115-147 with whatever I have in the bag. Both pistols worked flawlessly with all mags (I bought two extra for each that are CZs).

The issues started when I tried to feed either gun a hollow point. Brought 124 HSTs for the Rami and 147s for the Sp-01. Ftf s at a minimum of once a mag. The front of the bullet is getting caught on the feed ramp. Sometimes the “top” and sometimes the “bottom” of the hollow point gets hung up with the occasional double feed on the rami. No apparent trend on which round count in any mag would have the issue but I tried short loading them by a few rounds just in case.

I have tried all grains of HSTs, gold dots and even some golden sabers, some +p to no avail. I’ve stripped the down and soaked them in oil to the point it’s leaking out the rails and mag well  when I shoot. I broke down and bought some wolf +10 mag springs. I shot another 400 or so rounds of fmj through each pistol with no issues but didn’t help at all when I went back to HPs.

In case it was me I had all my buddies, one of which is a fed that work at the fed reserve, shoot both guns and they’re having the same problems.

Basically this is a 3am venting on how utterly disappointed I am with my first foray into CZ pistols. I’ve spoken with customer support and they’ll take them in for warranty work. I know people say to polish the ramp or have your Smith reshape it and it’ll fix all your problems. Maybe I’m out of touch but I don’t see that as acceptable. The fact that 2 of these allegedly reliable guns need work out of the box is insane. I’ve never had to send a gun back to the manufacturer or use a smith for new guns outside of customizing.

Offline CCWLearner

Re: Quality issues on new CZs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 04:52:40 AM »
I own two CZ P-07's that have been 100% reliable with every kind of hollow point I have ever fed them.

From reading this forum, I gather that the RAMI sometimes tends to have reliability issues out of the box, and a trip back to CZ should help to resolve it.

I've had the same kind of issues with other guns in the past.  Especially smaller guns.  They either weren't as reliable with hollow points in general, or certain types of hollow points wouldn't feed at all.  I had a Glock 36 that wouldn't feed 230 gr Federal Hydrashoks.  It went back to the factory, and it still wouldn't feed them when I got it back.  I had to change ammo.  Currently I carry a Sig P290RS .380 that will not reliably feed 99 gr Federal HST's.  It feeds Gold Dots and Critical Defense just fine, though.  So I carry Critical Defense in it.  When it was new, it wouldn't feed anything reliably.  It went back to the factory multiple times, where the feed ramp and chamber were polished, the extractor was replaced, and I don't remember what all else they did.  Finally it was reliable enough that I felt like I could carry it with the right ammo.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 04:59:29 AM »
If you've never had to send a gun back you are the LUCKIEST gun owner in existence. I've sent Sigs, S&W's, Springfields, Walthers, and CZ's back. To their credit CZ is the only one who fixed the issues right the first time. The others all made 2-3 trips before they were right. I'll never own another Walther after my experience with them.
Seems odd to have a hollow point issue on 2 different models but not impossible I suppose. My 7 CZ's feed anything I feed them so if these guns have these feed issues the prudent thing to do is send them back and let them make whatever repairs are needed under warranty. That's why things have warranties.

Offline Fishking

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
Honestly I cant speak to customer support from any manufacturer as I have never had an experience with warranty work. The closest thing I have had was a gun that didnt like certain loads like CCWLearner mentioned. Not the end of the world as I just avoid running them in that gun. I havent tried Critical Defense or Duty in the CZs  but I dont really want to rely on tate polymer insert to get past the feed ramp hangup.

I'll be sending it back and ill update the thread. The main issue is these are two different models both purchased new that are having very similar issues. Pretty strange with two different models albeit from the same dealer (which i dont think should matter).

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 10:25:49 AM »
Yeah let us know what CZ has to say.

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
Can't comment on the Rami, but I have well over 2000 rounds on SP-01 (including about  150 rounds of Hornady critical defense and Speer Golddot JHP. Not a single malfunction).

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »
Welcome to a great forum and sorry to hear about your current issues. I owned a Rami BD 9mm a couple years back and never had an issue with reliability. Put about 1000 rounds through it before selling. I bought my SP-01 Tac 9mm right before the Rami in 2016 and have never had a reliability issue with it as well. Not sure if it makes a diference, but I polish the feed ramp on mostly every handgun I own.

As for customer service, if you do have to send guns back to CZ, they are great to work with. I have had to send guns back to CZ, Sig, S&W, Palmetto State Armory, Century Arms and FN. All have been good to deal with  overall. Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:01:47 AM by Claymore504 »

Offline midas703

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »
Just recently, my rami should be back to me from warrenty work, here is the issue I had

10 round mag works great, 14 round mag jams constantly. My understanding from reading on different forums is that this is a common issue.

Cz replaced 14 round mag, however same issue. So I sent gun back to Cz bc its still under warrenty. Here is what they did.

Work Performed: Adjusted and polished ramp, chamber and extended throat.
Polished breach face lead in. added extractor tension. Test fired good.

I should get the gun back by the end of the week and early next week give it a good work out. It's my EDC with the 10 round mag and home defense gun with the 14 round mag.

I really want to avoid putting in new Wolff mag spring +10% bc it's a newer gun with 1000 rounds and I shouldn't have these problems with a quality made gun. I also have new recoil spring assembly if needed.

Offline cleft_asunder

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
Can't comment on the Rami, but I have well over 2000 rounds on SP-01 (including about  150 rounds of Hornady critical defense and Speer Golddot JHP. Not a single malfunction).
Stock parts?

Offline Fishking

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
Just got off the phone with CZ support as their warranty form wasn’t submitting for me. Emailed everything over and in a day or two should have the approval to send them in.

Not the worst deal since it’s almost summertime so I’ll be carrying a G43 or Bodygaurd instead of the Rami anyway.

I’ll ping when I get them back and test them. Hoping for a single cycle of there and back for a fix.

Offline tomboyjr

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 02:56:06 PM »
 Over the years I had to send several guns back to the mfg also. A Smith 37 Nickel many years ago, and it came back fixed with a better trigger and a polish job. Last year a Kahr P380that wouldnt feed HP's, and it came back fixed also.
 Also last year I bought a NIB CZ75B made in 1994. The slide stayed open with 1 more round in the mag, every time. Even though I'm a tinkerer, I didnt want to mess with it so I called CZ. Because of the age and a different importer, they wouldnt take it back without charging me. I have to admit I was a little pissed.  After googling the issue, I figured it had to be the magazine follower, so I took my dremel to it and voila, problem solved.
 But jeez, ya think they could have told me that. Or to try a different magazine. Something. It wont keep me from buying more CZ's(I have 3) but I'm just a little disappointed in the way they handled it. I'll bet Sig or Smith and Wesson would have taken it right back.
 Rant over-lol

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
Over the years I had to send several guns back to the mfg also. A Smith 37 Nickel many years ago, and it came back fixed with a better trigger and a polish job. Last year a Kahr P380that wouldnt feed HP's, and it came back fixed also.
 Also last year I bought a NIB CZ75B made in 1994. The slide stayed open with 1 more round in the mag, every time. Even though I'm a tinkerer, I didnt want to mess with it so I called CZ. Because of the age and a different importer, they wouldnt take it back without charging me. I have to admit I was a little pissed.  After googling the issue, I figured it had to be the magazine follower, so I took my dremel to it and voila, problem solved.
 But jeez, ya think they could have told me that. Or to try a different magazine. Something. It wont keep me from buying more CZ's(I have 3) but I'm just a little disappointed in the way they handled it. I'll bet Sig or Smith and Wesson would have taken it right back.
 Rant over-lol
CRY CRY CRY! Seriously your going to come on here complain because you couldn't get FREE WARRANTY SERVICE ON A 25 YEAR OLD GUN. YOU HAVE NO COMPLAINT PERIOD!!!! I'm sure CZ would have been happy to service the gun but as they stated you would get charged.
Hate to come off this way but this is simply expecting far too much especially when you are not even the original purchaser.

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
 Rant over-lol

As far as Beretta-USA was concerned, the 92s pistols don't exist and they don't support them, since they didn't import them.

By the way, CZ-USA also won't provide support on the vz 52 pistols either.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 07:55:25 PM »
[...] but I'm just a little disappointed in the way they handled it. I'll bet Sig or Smith and Wesson would have taken it right back.
Put yourself in their shoes.... What would you say to Customer how to fix the firearm, which probably is older that tech who picked up the phone?
It is fully understandable they wanted to charge you.
Anyway, it's great you managed the issue.

I'll bet Sig or Smith and Wesson would have taken it right back.

O0 Are you sure about that?  ;)

Offline Psyop96

Quality issues on new CZs
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »
Always try different magazine...ammo....shooter...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anything