Author Topic: Czsp01 with cajun gun works vs shadow 2  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Chef1515

Czsp01 with cajun gun works vs shadow 2
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:18:48 AM »
I bought an sp01 tactical and was thinking of sending it to cajun gun works for a pro package upgrade. Im curious if it will shoot as well as a shadow 2 after ?

My other option would be returning my walther ppq match if i dont like it and buying a shadow 2.

I want a home defense gun And a range gun so its either
Cajunized sp01 and walther or
Sp01 and shadow 2.

All opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

Offline jnichols2

Re: Czsp01 with cajun gun works vs shadow 2
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
Any of the three guns could make an excellent range gun.
For home defense, look at a P-07, Glock 19, FN 509, etc.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
All I will say is that a factory stock handgun will retain more of its value when you want sell it than a non-factory modified handgun. 

Offline BarkingAnt

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 07:07:31 PM »
I only have experience with one Cajunized SP-01 tactical and one Shadow 2, none with the Walther. To me the SP01 has a crisper trigger than the Shadow in single action but the DA pull is smoother on the Shadow. The Shadow is factory. Both are more accurate than I can consistently shoot. Other than that, to me six of one half dozen of the other.

The SP01 fits my hand better but both are great, just the SP01 a little better.

I DO look like my avatar!

Offline Chef1515

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »
I only have experience with one Cajunized SP-01 tactical and one Shadow 2, none with the Walther. To me the SP01 has a crisper trigger than the Shadow in single action but the DA pull is smoother on the Shadow. The Shadow is factory. Both are more accurate than I can consistently shoot. Other than that, to me six of one half dozen of the other.

The SP01 fits my hand better but both are great, just the SP01 a little better.

This is exactly what i wanted to hear. Im going to cajunize my tactical and roll with the walther for home defense. Might also pick up a p09 for home. Thank you.

Offline Stafford

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »
I have an SP-01 that has had the Villain package from CJ Maven. It has a slightly lighter trigger than my Shadow 2 with a 13lb hammer spring.

I think that shooting freestyle with two hands, the Shadow 2 is still a better shooter due to weight, sight radius and I prefer the flatter trigger curve of the Shadow 2. However, I think that I might be able to shoot the SP-01 better when I have to shoot one handed in competition due to the feel and the lighter weight and shorter barrel. It is just a bit easier to control with one hand.

Of course, if I have trigger work on the Shadow 2, it will exceed the trigger weight of the SP-01. My SP-01 also now has target sights with a fiber optic front post and G10 grips. These add ons and trigger work really make it shine.

Offline ITSSOCZ

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
All I will say is that a factory stock handgun will retain more of its value when you want sell it than a non-factory modified handgun.

While I agree you will not likely get what you put into the gun back, it seems many guns have been sold here that are priced higher (and I assumed sold for higher) than stock due to upgrades (regardless of who installed them).  All of the upgrades I have installed (or had installed) from CGW or CZC involved parts that were equal or, in most cases, higher quality than the originals.  If you're selling to someone who is familiar with the CZ brand and options, I believe in most cases, they will recognize the added value. 

Just my two cents.  I'm curious to hear your rationale. 

Offline Rmach

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 02:58:21 PM »
In general, a factory stock handgun in great condition will fetch ~80% of it's original value (not MRSP), and  a modified handgun might only recover 50% of the extra mod. cost, minus 80% of the guns original value. That's been my experience with several sales and watching other sales.  I'm not including collectables.

Offline jdwmont

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
I actually shot both a Shadow 2 and a Cajunized SP-01 this weekend. I would say both were essentially equal as far as accuracy is concerned. My personal preference is for the SP-01, but I am biased because it is my gun and the Shadow is my buddy's. I will say, the SP-01 was heavily modified (Cajun pro pack, lok grips, TruGlo, TLR1 light), which makes it as expensive as the Shadow 2 in the end. The light actually makes a difference in reducing recoil for me and the Shadow didn't have a light.

I am a hoarder and don't sell my guns, so I do not worry about the resale value. The resale value of the Shadow will clearly be better than a modded SP-01. I've had a blast tinkering with the SP-01 to get it where it is today, so I don't care about resale. I'd say if you love tinkering, go for SP-01. If not, man, Shadow 2 is sweet right out of the box.

Offline Stafford

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 04:36:51 PM »
After spending some more time shooting my Shadow 2 with my upgraded SP-01, I can say the Shadow 2 is my preferred shooter. The Shadow 2 does have a 13lb hammer spring, but no other trigger work or polishing. The sight radius, added weight, etc.. just make it better for me. And after practicing with right or left hand only, it was still a bit better for me than the SP-01.

On the other hand, my son prefers the SP-01 to the Shadow 2, so it's going to come down to the individual.

Offline Talbott

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »
I went back and forth on this exact issue and ended up going with the sp-01, I handled both in store and I love to tinker so I knew the sp-01 would get the full Cajun treatment (which it did, 2 days after I bought it). They are both top notch and the main deciding factor for me was the sp-01 was the UG suppressor ready model and I wanted the option of putting one of my cans on it.

I didn’t send mine to CGW, I ordered the pro package, strut, grease and a couple recoil springs. All the videos linked here and on their site gave enough details on what/where to polish and how to handle the sear cage so doing the work myself wasn’t an issue at all. Saying all that to say, the added cost and wait time to send to CGW was a big factor for me as well so I’m glad I took it on myself, ended up with a 2.75lb SA pull and 7.75lb DA.

Offline Philipl

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »

I just bought 2 modified used CZ 75 compacts off of GunBroker. Going price for a new one is about $600. I paid $695 for 1 and $705 for the other. each had (new) TruGlow sites that cost $104, $80 grip upgrades, one had an extra mag and 3 $20 each upgraded mag bases and one had a Cajun trigger return spring and pin. I figure I save $100 on each

i have already put a Cajun pro package in one and will modify the other when it gets here.

Modifying a gun does not necessarily decrease its value.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »

I just bought 2 modified used CZ 75 compacts off of GunBroker. Going price for a new one is about $600. I paid $695 for 1 and $705 for the other. each had (new) TruGlow sites that cost $104, $80 grip upgrades, one had an extra mag and 3 $20 each upgraded mag bases and one had a Cajun trigger return spring and pin. I figure I save $100 on each

i have already put a Cajun pro package in one and will modify the other when it gets here.

Modifying a gun does not necessarily decrease its value.

Your buys confirm what I initially posted.  The original owner did not recoup the modded cost.

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
Well hell.. ill chime in. Ive got a tricked out SP01 shadow, stock S2 and CTS-LSP to compare. all pretty much the same trigger, grip and sight picture.  where they differ is the mass, the mass of the slide and the center of gravity.

IMO the S2 is nose heavy - the SP01 with a large magwell and either TS upper or bull shadow upper feels much more balanced in the hand, the BS upper is amazing compared to the stock sp01 slide - It really soaks up the recoil and cuts the muzzle flip in half. If I were to build a carry optics gun I think this would be the platform - SP01 BULL SHADOW - But I recall my first few days shooting the CTS-LSP on a CZC tuned 75SA frame - there was something magical in how the sights returned. In recoil / muzzle flip it felt like an SP01 but there was something else there.. I call it balanced. Perfectly balanced in the hand and with factory ammo. If I were to shoot production I think that is the path I would go.. but reload my own and match the springs to the load. Lighter frames are a thing. Bull barrels are a thing. Return to zero load/spring matching is a thing.  There is a reason the Tanfo Stock II is still very popular. Tanfo found that sweet spot.  Ditto Atlas Titan/Nemesis.

Unless you plan on carrying it IMO a SP01 just doesn't compare all that well to the CZ S2, Stock 2, CTS-LPS, or any of the CZC bull variants - but it would top the list as an all-around tool. Now the SP01 Shadow makes a great frame to start a build - but I strongly suggest trying an SP01 side by side with a Bull Shadow or Stock 2 with the same ammo to feel the difference.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 08:44:31 AM »
If you were only looking for a range toy, either would be a fine choice. But since you say you also want it for home defense, I would go with the SP-01, primarily because you get a full rail for mounting a WML & tritium night sights, both of which I think are important features on a home defense gun. With a starting price that's half the cost of a Shadow 2, you can easily turn the SP-01 into an excellent shooter, and I would argue, a pistol that is ultimately more versatile.

anything