Author Topic: new sp-01  (Read 1233 times)

Offline mkd

new sp-01
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:50:06 PM »
picked up my new sp-01 manual safety today and now i have some work to do installing the CGW pro pkg and doing the action work. When i picked it up i took my p-01 with me and wanted to see what the trigger pulls were between the two. i had done some mods on my p-01 8 yrs ago and wanted to measure the results
 and also see where the sp-01 was at before the work began. I have a lyman trigger gauge ordered but won't be here for another week and i couldn't wait. The p-01 has a 13 lb hammer spring ,reduced trigger return spring ,and the reduced firing spring pkg, ring hammer, and the polishing i did on the action.  i have about 800 rounds fired thru it and todays measurements single action were  2 lbs 10 oz, 2 lbs 7.3 oz. , and 2 lbs 8.8 oz. . the double action was 7 lbs 6.5 oz., 7.7.0 oz. , and 7.5.0 oz.  the brand new never fired sp-01 single action was 5 lbs 9 oz. , 5 lbs 7.5 oz. , and 5 lbs 4.5 oz. . the double action was 10 lbs 14.5 oz. , 10 lbs .7.0 oz. , and 10 lbs 8.0 oz. will be interesting to see how the pro pkg reduces the numbers. the gunsmith used the same lyman digital trigger pull scale i have on the way!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:38:10 PM by mkd »

Offline Alcoy

Re: new sp-01
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »
"the brand new never fired sp-01 single action was 5 lbs 9 oz. , 5 lbs 7.5 oz. , and 5 lbs 4.5 oz. . the double action was 10 lbs 14.5 oz. , 10 lbs .7.0 oz. , and 10 lbs 8.0 oz. will be interesting to see how the pro pkg reduces the numbers"

Sounds about right before I installed the CGW Ultra-Lite Kit on my SP-01 Tactical.

Keep us posted after your the mod is done.

Offline mkd

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
yes it will! my trigger scale comes in about a week so i can run the p-01 on mine to see how close the gun shop's was. he had very close numbers so he knew what he was doing!finished polishing the slide rails this morning , cleaned things up , and lubed things up! one thing i have to do yet is polish the slide ramp real good with the dremel and some metal polish. barbeque and cooking today so it can wait for now!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:53:26 AM by mkd »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
   Always good to see more data on the subject. I have the Lyman digital as well. It has an average function. I usually do 10 pulls and then hit the average button. There are allot of factors that can change the readings. One that sticks out to me is where on the trigger you position the pull arm of the scale. At the center of the trigger i tend to get higher readings then i do if i pull from the bottem of the trigger. I have made an effort to stay consistent with how i take the readings so at least i can compare directly to other reading that i have taken myself.

I pull the battery out of the scale after i use it. Though i am not sure how likely it is with the 9V batteries, leaking batteries have killed too many battery powered electronics, so i do not take the chance.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Greub

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 01:11:37 AM »
Do you have the extended fp on your p01? Or just the reduced fp spring? Man I need to get a trigger gauge

Offline mkd

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 01:53:53 AM »
extended firing pin came in the pro pkg.  the new lyman scales have 2 triple a batteries in them and the door  to get them out was easier than the wheeler scale. that one you had to take a screw out! all done with the kit but for the cleaning up of the rails on the slide and a good lubing. the set screws for pre travel and over travel went well! if you ever have to remove or install the two screws it is pretty easy to do with a short piece of round tooth pic jamed into the allen holes. put your thumb on one side of the trigger guard and your pointer finger on the other and you can turn it right in!  plus you can put a small dot on the tooth pick with a marker and use it for reference when you are adjusting the screws. even after you use locktite if you are quick enough. q tips in the dremel works good for polishing tight spots, with the cotton on the end or the shaft  without for the tight area of the sear.

Offline mkd

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 08:33:26 PM »
     pro package install with all the innards polished on my never fired brand new SP-01 . first readings were done at gunshop with their lyman digital 9 volt battery model on the sp-01 before i took it home......... single action average was 5 lbs  3.3 oz.,........ double pull average was 10 lbs 9.8 oz.                                                   
        the following  numbers are on my new lyman digital scale with the triple a batteries.  .....after installing the CGW pro pkg,polishing, cleaning, and then lube the numbers were 3 lbs 2 oz. single and 7 lbs 4 oz. double. pistol is unfired .
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:18:16 PM by mkd »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 08:47:13 PM »
Very nice.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Alcoy

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
Very nice indeed.  Good job MKD.

Offline mkd

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »
took a day off to clear my head and want to dive into it again!   I took it all back apart again! while doing so i payed particular attention to what areas i polished and what areas the gun started working in. the new trigger was scuffed up and was dragging on a small ridge on the left side of frame. got a dremel in from the top down and worked both sides of the frame where the trigger rotates and then sanded and polished both sides of the trigger. also stuffed the dremel down the hole where the hammer strut goes thru the frame and the curve of the strut and sharp edges on the curve. did the bottom of strut already where the hammer spring rides. not reall sure if the strut makes contact with the frame but if it does it's cleaned up. had trouble with the safety detent on the right side! could not get the safety on right side to rotate down once installed. tool the sharp edges off the detent and buffed it up a bit and that took care of the problem. upper end was all good! after todays three hour go around i ran another trigger pull test. i did 10 pulls single and double action and took the average. the results 3lbs 2 oz. single and 7 lbs 4 oz. oz. double.  test was done with slide held stationary with left hand upside down on bench and the scale in my right hand braced against my chest. Rather than pull the scale with my arm, i braced the side of the scale tight to my chest and leaned my whole body to break the trigger. much more consistent readings this way.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:17:29 PM by mkd »

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
You did work on your P-01 8 years ago and now you have 800 rounds through it?
Hopefully your new SP-01 will get the opportunity to have a few more rounds put through it.

The trigger on your P-01 sounds to be very nice!!!
looks like you really got the SP-01 to a nice trigger as well.
nicely played, now go make it not unfired anymore...…

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline mkd

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
 i have O C D so everything has to be thought out and done and redone and redone again. the Army and 32 yrs running crane for an electric utility near high voltage lines has my mind set as such!   recoilguy!    i brought 1600 rds with me when i moved to Florida a year ago. i wasn't in need of another pistol but i sold some Harley parts and figured i better buy something or it will be Pxxed away!

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »
Am I the only one the has weighted triggers with a crown royal bag full of known quantity of bullets?
It works...
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline mkd

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »
i have used a gallon jug and a string before! once i got just enough water to set the trigger off i weighed the jug on my Rapala digital fish scale!

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »
yup, close enough. I tried the fish scale first, but it was a crappy walmart spring unit so though... hmmm, how could I do this with things that I have on hand...
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..