Author Topic: question about mass case lubrication  (Read 216 times)

Offline detritus

question about mass case lubrication
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »
I have around 1k once fired .223 cases and need to find a way to streamline lubing them.
the case lube i have on hand is the LEE brand Alox based type. so does anyone know of a way make application of this lube to a truckload cases easier than dobbing a small amount on each case by hand??

TIA
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:18:40 AM by Wobbly, Reason: Mods fixed language »
All hell hadn't been let loose. It was merely Detritus. But from a few feet away you couldn't tell the difference. Terry Pratchett

Offline Rcher

Re: question about mass case lubrication
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »
I have around 1k once fired .223 cases and need to find a way to streamline lubing them.
the case lube i have on hand is the LEE brand Alox based type. so does anyone know of a way make application of this lube to a buttload cases easier than dobbing a small amount on each case by hand??

That's my recipe.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:19:19 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »
I use spray lube on pistol cases, but I always hand lube rifle.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »
Detritus -

First, Welcome Aboard !

Next, is this method needed because you use a case feeder ? If so, then the sprays by Hornady and Dillon are your commercial solutions. The Dillon is nothing more than the pre-made lanolin mixture highlighted in the video, but it works great. I suppose you could substitute a cake of Imperial Sizing Wax in place of the lanolin if you needed something with more lubricity.

If you're using something like a 550, then you could also roll 5-6 cases at a time on a lube pad. I did that for years until I stumbled onto the Dillon spray.

Hope this helps.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong?

Offline david s

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
I've not done 1000+ cases at once just a couple of hundred at a time with Hornady One Shot aerosol lube. It works well as long as you make an effort to get some in the majority of the case mouths so the expander in the die doesn't drag to much on the down stroke. It's not suppose to have an effect on powder or primers or increase bolt thrust. I tend to size and then tumble so can't really say weather or not those claims are true.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 11:19:19 PM »
I use the homeade lanolion with Red heet alcholol.
I use a big ziplock bag to throw about 3 or 4 good handfulls (~150) in and shake/settle them down on a hard surface so that some of them end up neck up. Then a good test mist against the inside edge of the bag (sometimes it streams at first = no good. Also shake the bottle before spraying).  Then a good 3 or four sweeping sprays inside the bag to get the inside of the necks. If you don't get the inside of the necks the expander will drag more on the upstroke and it just sucks. you could also dry lube the necks, I've never tried that. Zip it up and shake well for 20 secs, then dump in a cardboard box and load in 3 mins.

Just be aware that if you put it ON, you will have to get it OFF, most likely. I finish/dry tumbe in walnut to take the lube off. you can wipe off too. you can shoot with it on, but there is a noticible difference and seemed to gum up the action a bit more and attract burnt powder so I now cut it off all rounds.

I'm not saying this is the best route, but It seems to work for me. My biggest concern was contaminating the powder when spraying the necks, but as long as you don't super soaker the things, Ive never had a problem. I do rifle and pistol all the same. Ive reloaded about 5k rounds using this method and no issues related to contamination.
75B-mildly modded
SP-01-SAO, moderately modded