Author Topic: Parts Breaking  (Read 1943 times)

Offline CZs_V8Volvos

Parts Breaking
« on: May 24, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »
I don't know if I titled this right.

Just went to a USPSA qualifier with a very good friend who is a Glock guy. He said that isomething breaks in my CZ sP01 Tactical, it couldn't be fixed on site unlike his Glock which can be disassembled and reassembled with simple tools and commonly broken parts changed.  Being inexperienced, i really didn't know how to respond but "Hey I know Glocks are reliable and easy to maintain. Good for you! I just love how my CZ shoots" A neutral answer.

What could break in the CZ 75 platform in a competition?

Thanks for all your responses.

The Polk County resolution includes  a clause
to the pro-resolution stance. It says,
“The criminal misuse of firearms is due to the fact that criminals do not obey laws, and this is not a reason to abrogate or abridge the unalienable, constitutionally guaranteed rights of law-abiding citizens."

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Re: Parts Breaking
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:57:37 PM »
The trigger return spring is the most likely candidate.  It is field serviceable but if you have a floating trigger pin it is easier.  A slave pin is required to aid in detail stripping.  I wouldn't want to be detail stripping a gun at a competition under pressure.  If your serious about competing then you need a backup gun.  That is the real answer to that type of situation.  If you just out there to have fun then why worry about it?

Regardless you should have a regular regimen to detail strip the gun and replace springs.  Like a annual service (depending on how much you shoot/dry fire) or every 5-8k where you detail strip the gun and inspect/replace springs and such.  If you do regular service, then you will catch stuff before it becomes and issue.

I would have spares of these:

Trigger return spring
Slide stop
Recoil Spring
Main Spring
Fiber Optic
Grip screws
Firing Pin Retaining Pin (from CGW)

I would have told him that I'd rather be able to hit A's and score points in comfort as opposed to the block that you'd be better off throwing at the target!  O0  Especially if it were a really good friend!  There would be some banter for sure.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline toteone

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
I had a firing pin retaining pin break and my firing pin and spring fall out in my P01.  It had about 6K rounds through it.  Now as recommended I try to check it every 6mos or so.  Kinda embarrassing!

Offline gmar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 11:55:39 PM »
I had a trigger return spring break on my P09 after several thousand rounds.  I ended up ordering 3 of them from Cajun which is supposed to be better steel and more durable.  I’d go head and just order done back ups if I were you.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »
If you shoot a lot, breakages are going to be inevitable.  Having a spare parts kit + tools, or a spare gun is a good way to safe guard against that.  Some parts are easy to swap out in the field, others are doable if you have the right tools.  I do own a few Glocks and would agree that Glocks are easier to service in the field.  More power to them, but there is a reason I don’t compete with one unless I have to. 

Some competitors have two guns set up the same.  One is used for practice, the other for matches.  Some folks stick to a schedule for replacement of parts known to break.  On my S2 I replace recoil spring every 5K-ish, TRS And FP spring once a year, extractor spring as needed, and lately I’ve been eyeballing my slide stop for signs of wear (I do have a spare in my parts kit).  Battery on my rds is replaced once a year on my b-day.

If you think CZs are hard on parts, try a 2011... 

anything