Author Topic: Good starting OWB holster for IDPA?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

Good starting OWB holster for IDPA?
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:10:46 PM »
Planning to get into an IDPA match that's closer to me now, and I don't have a proper holster for this kind of match. Cloth holsters aren't allowed, and leather is frowned upon, at from the guy that I've been in contact with. Any advice for this type of holster. I honestly have no clue as I've never really gotten into holster makers and brands until now. I'd be using either my 75B or 92FS.

While we're at it, any belt recommendations too that aren't too horrendous in price?

Offline bobjd

Re: Good starting OWB holster for IDPA?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:18 PM »
I have had good luck with the Blade-tech Classic. I have used it for IDPA with no issues. It is on sale for about $60.00, is adjustable, and seems well made. For a belt I have used "The Gunner" from HANKS BELTS for the past 2 years for IDPA and my range shooting 2 times a week and have been very pleased with the belt.

Bob

Offline 1KPerDay

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »
The basic kydex holsters from blade tech or comp tac are good. Pretty much any kydex OWB holster wj will work. Red hill tactical makes great stuff but you’ll have to wait a month. There are lots of small kydex holster makers that have lower prices. Kydex is good because it’s durable and easy to reholster one handed.

I prefer belt slides or tec lock style rather than paddles but you may feel otherwise. Ideally look for ones that say IDPA approved but anything will work as long as it fits the rules.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »
As mentioned most of the kydex holsters will work fine. Make sure you don’t get a drop off variant- those aren’t legal. I have blade tech but prefer Krounds kydex.

I SO our monthly matches and SO our state matches for the past 5 years. As an SO, I like to hear the “snick” when the gun is holstered- Indicates the gun is secure in the holster- something kydex provides and leather doesn’t.

That said, I prefer using quality leather holsters with proper molding and mouth reinforcement to enable one handed bolstering.  It’s just more comfortable for me. Brands I prefer are Privateer Leather or Warbird leather.  Leather is acceptable in IDPA. Key is the holster needs to stay open so you can holster one handed and not need to use your other hand to open the holster. Doing this lends to sweeping your other hand with the muzzle and a subsequent DQ.

Good luck, let us know how you do with your matches.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Beefeater

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
+1 for Comp Tac for price and quality. IT is one of the brands available on Amazon...

Enjoy!
The only thing I like better than a good steak, is two good steaks.

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
As mentioned most of the kydex holsters will work fine. Make sure you don’t get a drop off variant- those aren’t legal. I have blade tech but prefer Krounds kydex.

I SO our monthly matches and SO our state matches for the past 5 years. As an SO, I like to hear the “snick” when the gun is holstered- Indicates the gun is secure in the holster- something kydex provides and leather doesn’t.

That said, I prefer using quality leather holsters with proper molding and mouth reinforcement to enable one handed bolstering.  It’s just more comfortable for me. Brands I prefer are Privateer Leather or Warbird leather.  Leather is acceptable in IDPA. Key is the holster needs to stay open so you can holster one handed and not need to use your other hand to open the holster. Doing this lends to sweeping your other hand with the muzzle and a subsequent DQ.

Good luck, let us know how you do with your matches.

So that's why the guy I've been talking to about IDPA doesn't prefer leather holsters- the lack of the click during holstering.

I'm not sure if I can make it to the match at the end of this month, but the upcoming monthly match in July is what I'll probably go out to. I need to decide what gear to order, and I doubt it will arrive before June 28th with everything going on right now.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:02:59 PM »
NO SHERPA STYLE HOLSTERS! So the most any Kydex will work is not entirely accurate. Sherpa is the style where you push the button in on the outside of the holster to release the gun. The button puts your trigger finger where it can fall on the trigger WAY to quickly and WAY to easily. Pretty much everyone at an IDPA match is going to stop a Sherpa style holster. (And the IDPA has made them a definite no-no.)

Offline JBear1

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 11:56:14 PM »
Definitely like all-kydex holster and CompTac makes some of the most affordable. I try to keep everything as close to my carry setup, so nothing too crazy for me!

Offline 1KPerDay

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »
As far as cheap usable belts I’ve really liked the $25 Amish belts. Can’t remember which brand I got about 10 years ago. Still wear it every day and for matches. Black 1.5” wide full grain cowhide unstitched with stainless buckle and roller. Says Amish hand crafted made in the USA.