Author Topic: Stuck Barrel Nut - Model 15-2  (Read 1915 times)

Offline NeedCZ

Stuck Barrel Nut - Model 15-2
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:51:24 AM »
I recently picked up an old Dan Wesson Pistol pack and I can't get the barrel nut off of the installed barrel. 

The threading on one of the other barrels had some minor corrosion on it, so I'm assuming that this is the case for this nut too.  At the moment I've got the gun pointing straight up with a little pool of CLP on top in the hopes that some of it works its way down into the threads and loosens things up.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions?
There's no reason to think someone used Loctite or something silly like that, is there?

Offline eastman

Re: Stuck Barrel Nut - Model 15-2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
A penetrating oil like DeepCreep or Kroil might work a little better than CLP.

The barrel nut isn't supposed to be that tight.

The DW manual offers a couple of tricks. You can download it from the website. My version of Adobe reader isn't allowing me to grab the text from the "Changing the Barrel" section.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline hemiram

Re: Stuck Barrel Nut - Model 15-2
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »
More likely than rust, it's probably been red Loctited on. A little torch heat will get it off. I've had two used barrels come with Loctited nuts on them. The people who do this are the same not so smart people who claim they never could keep the barrel tight on their DW revolvers. Funny how the dozen or so I've owned never had any problems with the barrel nut loosening up.

anything