Author Topic: Is 9 mm any different than 45 ACP?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

Re: Is 9 mm any different than 45 ACP?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 08:10:15 AM »
...... I like the OAL measurement procedure. BTW, what is wrong with measuring factory ammo to get OAL?

Greetings.  If you did read and understand the stickie on OAL measurement (https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=103620.0) then you should understand why OAL of factory ammo - Or ANY ammo - can not be used when reloading ANY bullet.

If you don't believe that, then just load a 124 grain wad cutter to 1.169" (SAAMI max OAL) and use that in your gun.  Bet it wouldn't chamber.

All bullets (projectiles) are not the same shape!  A RN(round nose) from one manufacture is most likely very different from the RN of another.  The ogive will be different, possibly the length, etc.

EX: ACME bullet changed their profile - yet they are both RN:
http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/9MM-Lead-Cast-Reloading-Bullets?product_id=424

Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline eastman

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
I wonder why they designed the 9mm with a tapered case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

probably for reliable feeding and extraction, since it was developed from a bottle-necked case (7.65x21mm)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline DesertRatR

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
I like Missouri Bullet and SNS Casting. I load a lot of MB in 45 and SNS in 45 Colt (cowboy) and 44 SPL.  MB #HT-356125GL looks like a good pick to start out. The parameters are:
.356 Diameter
9mm Parabellum
124 Grain 9MM RN - Grooveless
Brinell 18
For General Shooting
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating from J&M Specialized Products P/L
Color may vary
NOTE: Seat to approximately 1.08"
NOTE: Small and consistent flattening at the nose due to lubrisizing friction

I can't tell about the ogive from the photo.

Thoughts?

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Let's see:

- NOTE: Seat to approximately 1.08" - well - that depends on your gun - get some and do the OAL proceedure (previously stated in this thread)  Don't forget to adjust powder charge according to your OAL vs load recommendations.

- .356  could work unless you need .357 to prevent leading (previously stated in this thread).  So slug your barrel and find out, or get a few and if it starts leading your barrel, you need bigger.

Looking at the Pic, it seems the shape (ogive) is similar to the old ACME mold.  Most likely for me I'd have to load a LOT shorter than 1.08  since I'm at 1.090 for the new ACME style.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:19:38 PM by Dan_69GTX »
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »
Thanks all for the above. I like the OAL measurement procedure. BTW, what is wrong with measuring factory ammo to get OAL?

Just a thought to make sure I had a round that would fit, while I sneak up on the real OAL.

I'm getting the impression that you think the described method gives you the final OAL. I want to make it very clear that our method only gives you the Max OAL. The Min OAL suggested by SAAMI for 9mm Luger is 1.000", so what you are really determining is the upper limit of an OAL range.

Unlike revolver cartridges, where the OAL is set by the crimp groove, auto pistol cartridges typically have a wide range of OALs they can be loaded to. Some auto pistol cartridges, like the 45ACP, have a 100 year history of "this works best" and so people don't do anything else, but that is not the case with 9mm Luger.

I'm loading different 9mm bullets OALs between 1.050 and 1.140", and you will be too pretty soon.

;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:42:08 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »
I have several Shadows, several 75 Shadows, and a few more CZs.   I needed to run 0.357 with lead or coated bullets, otherwise they would tumble.   Plated or jacketed were fine even down to 0.355, but most are 0.356. I shoot no lead or coated anymore, only plated or jacketed.

Unique is nice b/c as a relatively new shooter, if you double charge, it'll be obvious. with TG if you aren't attentive, you might double charge without spilling the case.

I started with TG in 9mm as a new reloader, and, despite that, if you are meticulous, you, like me, will survive that experience. But were I to do it again, I would (as always) follow Wobbly's advice to start with 45 ACP.

C
Temere phrase latine usus sum ut magna canetis

Offline Clint007

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »
I like Missouri Bullet and SNS Casting. I load a lot of MB in 45 and SNS in 45 Colt (cowboy) and 44 SPL.  MB #HT-356125GL looks like a good pick to start out. The parameters are:
.356 Diameter
9mm Parabellum
124 Grain 9MM RN - Grooveless
Brinell 18
For General Shooting
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating from J&M Specialized Products P/L
Color may vary
NOTE: Seat to approximately 1.08"
NOTE: Small and consistent flattening at the nose due to lubrisizing friction

I can't tell about the ogive from the photo.

Thoughts?

Just to advise, again, I'd buy just a few to make sure the 0.356 don't tumble in your Shadow. I always had to shoot 0.357 (and in one barrel 0.358) to avoid tumbling.

C
Temere phrase latine usus sum ut magna canetis

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
One longer, heavier bullet that does really well in CZ pistols is the coated IDP#8 Hi-Tek by Missouri Bullet Co.

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=334&category=5&secondary=26

This is a .357" bullet weighing 135gr. It's intended for 38Super. But you'd get your heavier bullet that needs a powder like Unique. And it's been fully characterized by our highly qualified and handsome staff.... HERE.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.