Author Topic: Who is using the Dawson 310-221 sights from CGW?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Knight3124

Who is using the Dawson 310-221 sights from CGW?
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:17:49 AM »
The only thing I don't really like about my new P-01 is the factory sights.  This is only the second gun I've ever bought that doesn't have factory night sights, and I find them very dim, even in daylight.  I'm looking at the Dawson 310-221 sights that are apparently exclusive to CGW, but since it has their exclusive “contrasting” sight design where the front insert is larger than the 2 rear inserts, I have no experience with this particular 3 dot setup.  So who is using these and what do you think of them?  I'll put a picture and link below.  BTW, I've looked at the TFX Pro and Trijicon offerings, and this is what I'm leaning towards for the moment.  Thanks for your input!

https://cajungunworks.com/product/320-221-trijicon-night-sights/

Offline BarkingAnt

Re: Who is using the Dawson 310-221 sights from CGW?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:15:51 PM »
I have two pistols with these sights which I use for carry. The sights are significantly better for me than factory sights. I wear trifocal glasses so for me the only sights that I can see really well are fiber optic. I'm also nearly 70. I have fiber optic sights on range pistols but they catch on everything so I use these Dawson sights on carry pistols.

The Dawson front sight is easier to pick up on than the factory sight but it doesn't pop up for me like a fiber optic does in daylight. On the other hand I personally don't want fiber optic sights on a pistol which will get some abuse over time.

In the dark I can pick up front and back on the Dawsons well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:39:38 PM by BarkingAnt »

Offline Knight3124

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
That's what I was hoping for.  Even in daylight I don't pick up the factory sights very well.  They just seem like the dots are more of a dull yellow than white.  I think I'll go with these Dawsons.  Thanks for the reply!

Offline mkd

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 04:12:29 PM »
knight. i got the tfx extreme with white ring on front sight, the tfx pro's were an option and maybe that is a better route? lot of it is what is important to you! one thing i might have opted for before i bought the extremes is the night sights with rear sight different color than the front sight. videos or reviews  on utube on the subject say it is possible to not have the center tritium front between the two tritium rear dots and be to the outside of the right or the left rear. a different color front would help in indexing the front color to the center of the two rear dots! if you have the luxury of two guns which is the situation i am in because of a new gun purchase you can outfit one for conceal carry best sight for you and outfit the other for home or range use. my p-01 was doing double duty and now will be my carry gun. i resprung it a bit heavier for safety and have bold night sights on it. not the way i want the sp-01 recent purchase, if i swap out the stock sights i will go fiber 1mm front and black serated tactical rear. i have a couple from the p-01 that might fit the new gun.

Offline puddintame

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
these are the same ones i have in the FS section

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »
I have these on one a CZ-75BD and similar sights (the Dawson 310-230) on a CZ-75D PCR.

They are easy to see, and much better than the factory sights, IMO.  I like the dominant front sight -- it is easy to pick up and see against different backgrounds and under various lighting conditions.

I put a set of Trijicon "Bright and Tough" sights (model CZ-02) on a different CZ-75BD, and like them too.  Both of these types of sights have a somewhat larger white ring surrounding the tritium lamp in their front sights, and that makes them very easy to see.   The Trijicons have a slightly shorter sight radius (distance between front and rear sights).  The Trijicons cost just a tad less than the Dawson sights; both types are top quality. 

I had CGW install the Dawson sights - they did a great job and both the CZ-75BD and the CZ-75D PCR came back in fairly short periods of time, perfectly aligned. 

I installed the Trijicons myself, working slowly and carefully, and that turned out fine.  I used a Dawson punch with a nylon tip to install the Trijicons -- https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sight-installation-tools/

The original front sight retaining pin could be re-used but was a bit smushed, so I ended up ordering an extra one ($1.00) so the job would look good. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:15:45 PM by RoverSig »

Offline Fastlane

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »
I am also looking at the same sights for my P01. I have several OWB holsters that the front area of the holster is very close to the top of the front sight. Does anyone know if the Dawson’s sights listed by the OP are physically the same size as the original P01 front sight?

Thanks OP for starting this thread. :)

Offline Knight3124

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »
I am also looking at the same sights for my P01. I have several OWB holsters that the front area of the holster is very close to the top of the front sight. Does anyone know if the Dawson’s sights listed by the OP are physically the same size as the original P01 front sight?

Thanks OP for starting this thread. :)

I had that same question but forgot to put it in there. I'm sure someone here has the answer. I haven't ordered my sights yet, so I'm glad you brought this up.!

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:25:03 PM »
The original front sight from my CZ-75BD, now out of the pistol, measures at .212 inches from the bottom of its base (which sits at the bottom of the dovetail) to its top.   

The Dawson 310-221 front sight has a slight taper, that is, it is slightly shorter in the front than in the back.  At the front, it measures approximately .260 inches from the bottom of its base inside the dovetail to its top (there is a small fudge factor here because it is in the dovetail as I measure it so I have to eyeball it a little bit). 

If someone has a Dawson 310-221 front sight that is not installed, they would be able to take a more accurate measurements at the front and back of the front sight blade. 

Offline Knight3124

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 09:27:47 PM »
I was actually curious about the rear sight as well. It's a pretty close fit in my holster.

Offline Fastlane

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
I emailed CGW, Scott emailed back and said that there is a slightly difference in the sight but not enough too effect a holster. I only asked about the height of the front sight. On my holsters I have plenty of room for the rear sight. From looking at the OP holster I can’t tell if the rear sight will rub against the side and back of the holster. Younger eyes might see it better than I can.  :)

Online Tok36

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
CGW PCR Night Sights Dims (from a previous forum thread.)

Front:  3 mm width x 3 mm height x 11 mm length
Rear:  Notch width 3.5 mm x 2.5 mm depth, total height 6 mm, total width 9 mm
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline SifuJesse

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »
My Cajunized P-01 had these sights on them when I picked it up used, but since I was used to a TFX style Fiber Optic/Tritium sights I switched over to those. Sold these to a friend who is running them on a PCR and he likes them quite a bit.

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 11:31:17 PM »
The only thing I don't really like about my new P-01 is the factory sights.  This is only the second gun I've ever bought that doesn't have factory night sights, and I find them very dim, even in daylight.  I'm looking at the Dawson 310-221 sights that are apparently exclusive to CGW, but since it has their exclusive “contrasting” sight design where the front insert is larger than the 2 rear inserts, I have no experience with this particular 3 dot setup.  So who is using these and what do you think of them?  I'll put a picture and link below.  BTW, I've looked at the TFX Pro and Trijicon offerings, and this is what I'm leaning towards for the moment.  Thanks for your input!

https://cajungunworks.com/product/320-221-trijicon-night-sights/
Using dawson night sights on a p01 for three years. They hold up well and are accurate. Have the tfx pro on a full size 75 they shoot low. They also take up a lot of the sight picture.

1+ for dawson night sights.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Offline jurek

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »
Another vote for TFX. Perhaps my eyes are worse than year ago, but "TFX" are much easier for fast acquisition than "Dawson Precision Tritium Night Sights".
The big plus for TFX - they work in EVERY light condition.

anything