Author Topic: Messed up and bought the Bren 2S 7.62 instead of 2MS. Are all parts compatible?  (Read 580 times)

Offline czkyle1776

I know handguards are different, but what about barrels? I set it up on layaway through tombstone tactical. I messaged them 5 minutes after ordering the wrong one, but their terms seem pretty ironclad. They say no exchanges or refunds on layaway. I can cancel the layaway, but would be forfeiting $360. Is the 2MS worth losing that money? I'm really kicking myself here. Such a stupid mistake. I've been looking at pictures of this rifle for months, and within minutes I screw it up. Do I at least have full parts compatibility aside from handguards? I want a 556 conversion once they actually offer it. On the MS, do the extra screws for the handguards screw into the barrel? Thanks.

Offline MeatAxe

I know handguards are different, but what about barrels? I set it up on layaway through tombstone tactical. I messaged them 5 minutes after ordering the wrong one, but their terms seem pretty ironclad. They say no exchanges or refunds on layaway. I can cancel the layaway, but would be forfeiting $360. Is the 2MS worth losing that money? I'm really kicking myself here. Such a stupid mistake. I've been looking at pictures of this rifle for months, and within minutes I screw it up. Do I at least have full parts compatibility aside from handguards? I want a 556 conversion once they actually offer it. On the MS, do the extra screws for the handguards screw into the barrel? Thanks.

From a collector’s standpoint, the S is going to be worth a lot more for rarity (only @ 300 imported to the USA). Not sure why you’d want a 5.56 as 7.62x39 is a lot cheaper and more lethal and barrier blind, especially out of a short barrel.

How much did you pay for it?

Offline czkyle1776

It was right around $1700. Only 300? I wonder if their online inventory is wrong then, because it states that the S is in stock. Unless the S models didn't sell particularly well. I don't necessarily want 556, but it's nice to have the choice to change calibers if ammo of one type or another is unavailable. It's like having 2 guns for less than the cost of 2 actual guns. I do like the look of the MS with HBI handguards on it. I have the 805 currently. I dunno. I emailed them literally 5 minutes after placing the order to see if they'll make an exception, but I doubt it. Most gun companies I've dealt with don't make exceptions or try and work with people. Especially with the current climate as it is. Ah well. I've already resigned myself to enjoy the Bren 2 S. Aftermarket is going to be unfortunate though...

Offline Magsz

The good news is this:

The S handguard is long enough to work with.  You dont really need the HBI handguard so you're good to go there from an ergonomic standpoint.

As others have said, the collectors value of the S will be there.

This is not something to really worry about.  Get it, shoot it, enjoy it.  Buy another down the road. :)

Offline czkyle1776

The good news is this:

The S handguard is long enough to work with.  You dont really need the HBI handguard so you're good to go there from an ergonomic standpoint.

As others have said, the collectors value of the S will be there.

This is not something to really worry about.  Get it, shoot it, enjoy it.  Buy another down the road. :)

Do you know if barrels are S and MS specific? Thanks.

Offline Manticore_Arms

The only difference should be the forend.

I have both in the shop and will try and check tomorrow.

Sven
Manticore Arms

PS in my opinion the 2s forend is superior- lower profile on the sides as it doesnt need the mountimg system for the forend.

Offline czkyle1776

The only difference should be the forend.

I have both in the shop and will try and check tomorrow.

Sven
Manticore Arms

PS in my opinion the 2s forend is superior- lower profile on the sides as it doesnt need the mountimg system for the forend.

Dang. Definitely not making my choice any easier. lol. Not your fault, I appreciate the honest input, but now I'm going and second guessing myself yet again. Want of the MS is primarily aesthetic reasons, but you come in here with practicality and usability reasons that make total sense. I have the 805 and find the 2s to look similar, whereas the 2MS I love the forend. It just looks less boring to me. Again, all tastes are different and form shouldn't take precedence over function, but for a range gun it does for me. I was set on the 2MS, but I cannot decide now! lol. Thanks for the input!

Offline Aries144

Everything is compatible, except swappable handguards for the MS of course.

I have an S and an MS. After getting the military picatinny rails, I like the S more.

Offline czkyle1776

Just gotta say, Tombstone Tactical is Awesome! They allowed me to cancel the original Bren 2 S and allowed me to get the 2MS! Great people to work with! Thanks for everyone's input.

Offline Manticore_Arms

Just gotta say, Tombstone Tactical is Awesome! They allowed me to cancel the original Bren 2 S and allowed me to get the 2MS! Great people to work with! Thanks for everyone's input.

Sounds like a good outfit that you ordered from, and honestly I am shocked they had a 2S in stock at all! 

Offline TURRICAN

I would have kept the 2S. I wish I could find one.

Offline jruba

After reading this , I went ahead and looked for one 2s and ordered one . I hope is not an inventory mix up . It's been 2 days , order its been confirmed but no shipping yet .

Offline DrAK

Man, there are a lot of people that would have died for a 2S at that price now....including me.  There were only a limited amount brought into the country.....Like 50 of that version, 300 total.   You could have turned around and sold that for $2.5-3k instantly. 

Offline WickedSick83

Several retailers are showing the Bren 2s in stock. It appears to only be the 11inch 7.62x39.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/Bren%202s

The 2s not only has a better handguard(In my opinion), but also the proper lightening cuts on either side. It’s about 2oz lighter than the 2ms which has no lightening cuts.

anything