Author Topic: Bren 2 muzzle devices - 7.62x39  (Read 2012 times)

Offline MeatAxe

Bren 2 muzzle devices - 7.62x39
« on: July 01, 2020, 04:38:22 AM »
I was not overly impressed with the OEM open spiral flash hider that came on the Bren 2. Seemed to let a fair amount of flash get through.

I ordered two aftermarket devices based on previous use on AKs and Vz58s in 7.62x39:

1. Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Flash Hider / Muzzle Brake - 5/8x24: This actually did a great job at flash suppression (much better than the OEM flash hider) and a pretty good job of reducing recoil. Comparatively light weight, also.

2. Manticore Arms Night Brake 5/8x24 -- although these have worked very well for me on AKs and Vz58s for recoil reduction and have been pretty good for flash suppression, it was not so good on the Bren 2 - non-existent flash suppression / big muzzle flash, and although it did a slightly better job at recoil reduction than the Phantom, the shock wave from the muzzle blast to bystanders was pretty harsh.

The nod goes to the Phantom thus far.

Offline czfanatic_

Re: Bren 2 muzzle devices - 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »
I run a VG6 Gamma on both my 7.62x39 and 5.56 Bren 2's and the things are LOUD and super concussive.  Awesome recoil reduction, but both guns (especially the 9" 7.62x39) shoot 2 foot flames out the sides of the brake. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline RSR

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 03:17:53 PM »
What length is your barrel? 

Noveske KX5 is similar to the AK 4 piece brakes and available in 5/8x24 for reduced flash.

I'd also look at Precision Armament's EFAB that's available in 5/8x24 as well for reduced flash and comp function -- no idea how it'll perform w/ Russian powders, but if reloading w/ more consistently burning US powders w/ flash suppressant you should see similar performance to an AR using milspec ammo w/ flash suppressants.  I *think* Golden Tiger ammo includes flash suppressants, but only common Russian commercial offering AFAIK.

Obviously, confirm that full diameter 7.62x39 bullets will have sufficient clearance before buying.

Or you could always look into turning down and rethreading your barrel or using an adapter to 14x1 LH or RH to access AK or VZ58 devices...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:22:04 PM by RSR »

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 03:34:55 PM »
What length is your barrel? 

Noveske KX5 is similar to the AK 4 piece brakes and available in 5/8x24 for reduced flash.

I'd also look at Precision Armament's EFAB that's available in 5/8x24 as well for reduced flash and comp function -- no idea how it'll perform w/ Russian powders, but if reloading w/ more consistently burning US powders w/ flash suppressant you should see similar performance to an AR using milspec ammo w/ flash suppressants.  I *think* Golden Tiger ammo includes flash suppressants, but only common Russian commercial offering AFAIK.

Obviously, confirm that full diameter 7.62x39 bullets will have sufficient clearance before buying.

Or you could always look into turning down and rethreading your barrel or using an adapter to 14x1 LH or RH to access AK or VZ58 devices...

Mine's an 11" barrel. The thing about the Yankee Hill Phantom is that it's super thin and light weight. Seems like pretty high quality steel that (I believe) you can mount a sound suppressor onto. The 4 piece (Bulgarian-type) flash hiders (that I've used) are quite a heavy chunk.

The Phantom was doing a really good job of suppressing the flash of regular Tula fmj and hp, which are known for belching out big, bright fireballs.

Before I started shooting, both Yankee Hill and Manticore confirmed that their muzzle devices were @ 0.311" in diameter and I had no problems in that regard.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:41:37 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline RSR

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
Mine's an 11" barrel. The thing about the Yankee Hill Phantom is that it's super thin and light weight. Seems like pretty high quality steel that (I believe) you can mount a sound suppressor onto. The 4 piece (Bulgarian-type) flash hiders (that I've used) are quite a heavy chunk.

The Phantom was doing a really good job of suppressing the flash of regular Tula fmj and hp, which are known for belching out big, bright fireballs.

Before I started shooting, both Yankee Hill and Manticore confirmed that their muzzle devices were @ 0.311" in diameter and I had no problems in that regard.

Absolutely -- the 4 piece are HEAVY, but do a very good job with flash suppression for sub 13" 7.62x39 guns -- personally, I'd rather have a longer barrel, but in the AK world there aren't too many affordable AKs in the 12-14" range...  Mine's on a 10.5" M92 PAP.

The YHM Phantoms and Smith Enterprise Vortex are generally what I find to be the best in flash suppression. 

Precision Armanments muzzle devices are expensive, but the AFAB and the EFAB are by the far the best options I've found for both flash suppression and brake/comp performance -- concussiveness is also much less than most other brakes/comps.

PWS's FSC30 is a decent cheaper option and I'd personally go w/ that before manticore's night brake -- if only b/c the FSC's don't have any porting to the topside which puts flash directly into the shooter's vision.  It's optimized for .308 and larger than their FSC47 that's optimized for 7.62x39 (so probably more flash comparatively), but has the correct threading for your barrel.

Barrel length just noting that anything shorter than 12.5" or so you might have some overpressure considerations/limitations on devices but unsure of exact cutoff -- on 5.56/.223 guns some aren't rated for short barrels starting as soon as 14.5".  And that anything less than 16" on AKs will have at least some unburnt powder bits that generally will "glow" regardless of effectiveness of muzzle device on overall flash signature.  Even some 16"+ guns have more unburnt powder with some loads than I find desireable...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:30:04 PM by RSR »