Author Topic: Advice on buying new CZ pistol  (Read 1494 times)

Offline terrapin

Re: Advice on buying new CZ pistol
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »
I have a hard time envisioning the need for more accuracy than my completely stock shadow 2’s for practical shooting competition (USPSA, 3Gun etc). 

If you are going to shoot a ton, I would buy two plain Shadow 2’s (or one and a couple thousand rounds of ammo), before I paid for additional raw accuracy.

If you’re passionate about shooting exceptionally small groups, or bullseye competition you might be well served by one of the more expensive versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline timmy75

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 02:10:29 PM »
my vanilla s2  shoots 67mm group, 10 rds, 25m (2.625inch @ 27.3y). it can probably do better, but I can not.  ;D

if you need better accuracy, buy TSO, or pardini.

if you want to learn practical shooting, buy stock shadow1 (even better if you can find used, you can spend more on ammo, gear, good instructor...), train a LOT, do dry fire drills, buy train wagon of ammo or start reloading.

where I live (Croatia) new S2 is $1400, many people getting rid of their shadow 1's with low round count, because they think they will shoot better if they buy new s2. you can get s1 (used) here for $750-800.

you can see what you can do with shadow 1 if you type "adam tyc" in youtube.

my friend was shooting xdm and won some stages against Eric Grauffel who was shooting tanfoglio at time. google who Eric is.

i am beginner also, and we all think the same "if I buy shadow2 I'll shoot better". it is simply not true, but you realize it when it is to late :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:32:09 PM by timmy75 »

Offline bang bang

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 03:44:56 PM »
my vanilla s2  shoots 67mm group, 10 rds, 25m (2.625inch @ 27.3y). it can probably do better, but I can not.  ;D

if you need better accuracy, buy TSO, or pardini.

if you want to learn practical shooting, buy stock shadow1 (even better if you can find used, you can spend more on ammo, gear, good instructor...), train a LOT, do dry fire drills, buy train wagon of ammo or start reloading.

where I live (Croatia) new S2 is $1400, many people getting rid of their shadow 1's with low round count, because they think they will shoot better if they buy new s2. you can get s1 (used) here for $750-800.

you can see what you can do with shadow 1 if you type "adam tyc" in youtube.

my friend was shooting xdm and won some stages against Eric Grauffel who was shooting tanfoglio at time. google who Eric is.

i am beginner also, and we all think the same "if I buy shadow2 I'll shoot better". it is simply not true, but you realize it when it is to late :)

theres an old saying...."its not the weapon, but the warrior that wields the weapon"   

and as long as there is man, there will always be those that think its the weapon....and there are those that think that $$ can buy you want you cant do...

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 09:38:58 AM »
There is also those who will buy cheap and pretend it is "just as good"
both are equally annoying. A better gun will definitely help you shoot better!!!!!
A new gun or a more expensive gun isn't always better though.

Timmy75 if you have a buddy that can beat Eric G your buddy is awesome! I would just want too
watch Eric in person. He is accurate and fast. I guess most Champions normally are.

All that said is the 2 better then the 1? thats a matter of personal preference I think.
If 1 owners want to get rid of their 1's to get a 2 I'm a buyer. let me know.

RCG
…….It's that you shoot!

Offline azlefty

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »
Good Luck on your Quest for a competition firearm.This article might be helpful.https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/1/29/top-uspsa-production-handguns-in-2019//
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:33:42 AM by azlefty »

Offline timmy75

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
Timmy75 if you have a buddy that can beat Eric G your buddy is awesome! I would just want too
watch Eric in person. He is accurate and fast. I guess most Champions normally are.
RCG

I've met Eric G. in person, he seems like a normal guy, taking pictures and shaking hands with everybody. Last summer at EHC2019 in Belgrade, Serbia.
He had just one delta in six days. It was in his last day, last stage, last target, second shoot :). 460 rd match. He is crazy good.

Online CZfirsttimer

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
Thank you everyone for your valuable information.....very much appreciated.  I ended up buying a
CZ Shadow 2 off the rack—blue handle.  I shot it and also shot the Sig Sauer p320 Legion and a Taurus pistol at a range.  The shadow 2 just felt comfortable in my hand—it fit well, I really liked the trigger and the ergonomics seemed right.  I am sure there are many pistols that would have been suited for me but I chose this one.  I feel it was a good decision.  I was surprised how dry the gun was right out of the box—had a friend of mine oil it after I shot it. Is there any accessory that I should buy at this time for this gun?  I bought several magazines as well online.  Anything else to consider?  Thanks to everyone!

Offline eastman

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 05:33:50 PM »
Thank you everyone for your valuable information.....very much appreciated.  I ended up buying a
CZ Shadow 2 off the rack—blue handle.  I shot it and also shot the Sig Sauer p320 Legion and a Taurus pistol at a range.  The shadow 2 just felt comfortable in my hand—it fit well, I really liked the trigger and the ergonomics seemed right.  I am sure there are many pistols that would have been suited for me but I chose this one.  I feel it was a good decision.  I was surprised how dry the gun was right out of the box—had a friend of mine oil it after I shot it. Is there any accessory that I should buy at this time for this gun?  I bought several magazines as well online.  Anything else to consider?  Thanks to everyone!

sounds like you need to buy some oil

(and then more ammo when you can find it)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »

Would love to hear/see a range report and know how you're getting along with your new Shadow.
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E American .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
My advice is don't do it.  Because once you shoot one CZ you are gonna want to buy all of them!   ;D

Good choice, BTW!

Online CZfirsttimer

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
Good day to all,
     So far, I am really enjoying my new Shadow 2.   What most impresses me is that I am able to group my shots together frequently and with more control on the target up to 10 yds.  I am always looking more more drills to improve my shooting skills.  Will dry firing with the Shadow 2 damage the gun?  Should I use snap caps? I jus saw a video from the Sig Sauer Academy where the instructor recommends shooting one loaded round (after removing your magazine) and then dry firing the next round.  He stated that this builds more post-shooting recoil control and helps minimize unwanted “trigger finger” to get your next shot off without fully taking the time to aim and line up the target for maximum accuracy. 

Offline Europe

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »
Having shot a lot of Sigs and most of CZs I would say that Shadow 2 offers the best bang for your buck. It is capable of shooting 95-100 points at 25 meters with a little skill.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 08:36:24 AM »
Yes, you should use snap caps or a little rubber grommet placed between the hammer and firing pin when dry firing a CZ.  What happens if you don't use them is the firing pin's rolled retaining pin will eventually break in two.  CGW makes a much sturdier retaining pin replacement.

Offline azlefty

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2020, 10:35:32 AM »
I use an O-ring (size #083) when I dry fire.You can get at any hardware store,HD,Lowes etc.

Offline eastman

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2020, 04:56:06 PM »
I use an O-ring (size #083) when I dry fire.You can get at any hardware store,HD,Lowes etc.

... and if you buy the red silicone o-rings, it will be much easier to see that you left it in.
I don't look like my avatar!