Author Topic: Why are the P-07 and P-09 as heavy as they are?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Why are the P-07 and P-09 as heavy as they are?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 06:12:38 AM »
If you carry it enough you won't notice the weight of a pistol/belt/spare magazine.

Many years ago my duty belt (if you know what a duty belt looks like) with the holster, revolver, two double speed loader pouches with ammo in them, radio and pouch, double handcuff case with two sets of handcuffs (we worked most shifts alone and I also carried two of those big tie wrap looking straps inside the hat band of my uniform hat) the baton ring (without the baton) and the mace case/can of mace along with the four keepers that attached the duty belt to my uniform belt weight just over 13 lbs.  I know that because one night a partner (I was working over onto the graveyard shift) asked me how heavy the belt was.  So we put it on a postal scale to weight it.  I had no idea it was that heavy.  I carried it just over 8 hrs. a day 5 days a week (some weeks more) and that makes you used to the feel.

Carry it more.  You'll stop noticing heavy.

Every now and then, under certain circumstances, I grab the FNS .40 Compact and holster and wear it on my belt.  Is the FNS smaller than the P07?  Darn right.  Is it lighter?  Got to be.  What do I notice?  It's almost "not there" compared to the P07.  I keep thinking I've lost it because I don't feel it there.  My elbow never seems to bump against it under the shifrt/coat.  The muzzle doesn't poke me in the hip.  Feel, not weight.

Recoil of a heavy vs. light handgun?  What do you focus on?  The target or the muzzle popping up?  I know my P07 .40 pops up in the air.  I know the empties are tossed well away from me when I shoot.  Sort of reminds me of a short barreled .357 magnum.  Doesn't bother me.  I shoot that sucker better than most of my other pistols.  The opposite end of that is the P09 9MM.  I find myself going through a mental examination of the reality of shooting.  Is it making noise?  Pretty sure it is but at the range there's lots of noise.  Is it recoiling?  Pretty sure it is as I have to line up the sights again.  The final "fact" my mind stops with is there are holes in the target.  It's got to be going bang, there are holes in the target.  My mind is usually unaware of trigger reset, trigger travel distance as my finger and mind take over, work together and the trigger is rearward as I line up the sights.  I like a nice crisp trigger.  Makes it easier on my wobbly old arms and sore finger/hand joints to shoot a good shooting pistol into a fairly small area of the target.

So.  Carry more.  Shoot more.  The rest will be secondary and barely noticed.

I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Winkel

Re: Why is the P-07 and P-09 as heavy as they are?
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
I would agree with others and say more parts adds a little weight. It really does not bother me. My P07 carries just fine and my P09 shoots amazing. I agree that all three of my P09s have less felt recoil than my SP-01 Tac and 75B Omega.
I have a 75B, a 75D, two P-07s, a P-09 and a S&W Shield in 9mm.  I used to have an SP-01 Tactical, but sold it to fund my second P-07.
Of all of them, my P-09 shoots the smoothest, the softest and the most accurate in my hands, of any of them.  I absolutely love that gun.  It is a little large for everyday carry though.
The majority of the weight is in the top end which is why I think they shoot so smoothly. 

Offline briang2ad

Re: Why are the P-07 and P-09 as heavy as they are?
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
As a hammer gun guy, here are some observations:

Hammer guns in polymer are a tad heavier because of their hammers and FCG.
The P07 is a tad heavier than some other poly hammer guns, but a tad lighter than the SP2022.

The lightest full capacity ploy hammer gun is the FNX - with a mag its 24.99 oz.  The HK P30 is a tad over 26 oz. 

For a comparison, the P99, a unique SF DA/SA is a tad under 25 oz.

anything