Author Topic: Did Somebody Say "Ghost"?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline popper

Did Somebody Say "Ghost"?
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
This is an AWCY beta test printed in engineering resin using an Elegoo Mars Pro. Took about 2 liters of resin and several days to print. Going to test fire it soon. Previous tests have been successful. I hope ghost guns are allowed in here. (Excuse the incorrect size and missing screws, picking the correct ones up today.)

Offline mtl111

Re: Did Somebody Say "Ghost"?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
Outstanding! Very impressive!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 12:10:04 PM »
Looks awesome! I'd like to see what it looks like with a little like behind it to see the internals a little more.
What is AWCY?
ApIII%

Offline popper

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 12:21:38 PM »
I'm going to wet sand it spray it with a uv protective clear coat to make it almost as see thru as glass. AWCY is a group of 3d print gun designers and testers. We're looking for machinests  who can CNC metal incase anyone here is looking for a hobby. I'll get more pictures up when my bolt gets here later today. 

Offline usn.mustanger

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
That's pretty awesome! I'm familiar with resin 3D printing, but I had no idea we were at the place where we could make fully functional 3D printed blowback action guns. Must be some pretty bleep tough resin! What is it? Will it stand up to the abuse of firing round after round on the range without failing (melting, cracking, fracturing, etc.)?

Offline popper

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
That's pretty awesome! I'm familiar with resin 3D printing, but I had no idea we were at the place where we could make fully functional 3D printed blowback action guns. Must be some pretty bleep tough resin! What is it? Will it stand up to the abuse of firing round after round on the range without failing (melting, cracking, fracturing, etc.)?

It's Siraya Blu. Really strong stuff. An OG in the group who printed one first test fired several rounds in his no problem. He even left a magazine in his hot ass truck and it didn't melt or warp.  Ammo is really expensive so I'll pass a few hundred rounds through mine soon and see how it does.

This resin is super tough and can fire this gun no problem but it is brittle before it fails. They're experimenting with adding tenacious resin to it so it elongates a little bit before cracking. Giving it even more strength. There are much stronger resins out there but they cost about 3 times as Siraya Blu. This is still pretty experimental so we're hoping to test these and find their points of failure so the developers who designed this can put out a more robust final version where necessary.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 08:07:13 PM »
WOW...just WOW... :o Not sure I’ve seen anything quite that cool.  8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:18:52 PM by Gunnerdad80 »

Offline popper

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 01:47:21 AM »
Looks awesome! I'd like to see what it looks like with a little like behind it to see the internals a little more.
What is AWCY?

Here is a clear shot.

Offline Mr.E.G.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
As they say, you can't stop the signal. This is really awesome. Good work.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
Neat, it would be interesting to see a CZ Phantom made of of this stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but is this a potential fully functional firearm?

Steve

Offline popper

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 03:27:39 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but is this a potential fully functional firearm?

Steve

Yes. I'm taking it to the range in a few days to.find out how many rounds it can fire. Any part that fails will be replaced by an even stronger resin printed part. There's also a second one being made in red that will be made with the stronger material right off the bat.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 04:52:17 PM »
I’ll take one! How much $? :D