Author Topic: Question on the Heavy Lifter Spring in Decocker Models (CZ-75BD)  (Read 523 times)

Offline RoverSig

Any experiences with using Heavy Lifter Spring (part 75015) in a CZ-75BD? 

I installed this small part in place of the "regular" (stock) lifter spring when installing a new ring hammer.  The pistol seems to have a nice trigger press until it hits a significant "wall" right before breaking -- is this the result of the heavy duty lifter spring?   

The part is advertised as increasing the single action trigger pull by 3-5 ounces -- my real question is, is that 3-5 ounces all packed into the last fraction of trigger pull before the break?

Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts on this. 

https://cajungunworks.com/product/75015-heavy-lifter-spring/

Offline Tok36

Re: Question on the Heavy Lifter Spring in Decocker Models (CZ-75BD)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
   Indeed, the added weight from the 75015 Heavy Lifter Spring figures into the total SA pull weight. While it is generally more popular to reduce the SA pull weight, i have found that increasing the SA pull weight after installing a comp/race hammer can improve the feel of the break in some instances. While the design of the after market hammer makes the greatest contribution to the improved trigger feel, the trigger pull weight can also contribute. It is a subjective topic, each CZ owner has their preference. I have found that increasing the weight of the Sear Spring can have a similar effect on perceived crispness in some cases.

In a CZ 75 variant with a Firing Pin Block, as you pull through the Single Action, the Trigger Bar first picks up the FPB Lifter Arm, then it picks up the lower leg of the Sear and actuates both of them to disengage the FPB and drop the hammer.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:52:36 PM by Tok36, Reason: Clarity. »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »
That might be what I am perceiving - the slightly heavier lifter spring being engaged.  Yep, it is very subjective; it seems to be less noticeable if I am going faster, more noticeable if I am going very slowly.  Experimenting continues! 

Thanks for the response and benefit from your experience.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »
Then just go faster.....only kidding
I agree withTok36 most people do go for the lower reduced SA press, I like the crispness of teh feel with a slightly increased press.
But that is just how I like it, I have a friend I shoot with who goes as light as possible on the SA. very very light and he only cares thats its light.
But he goes very fast most of the time so that might be the difference.

RCG
…….It's that you shoot!

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments, above.   

I removed the heavy duty lifter spring and went back to the "factory" spring, which is lighter.  For me, this produces a SA trigger press that is more to my liking.

The decocker sear cage and contents are always a challenge! 

Offline mkd

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 05:16:51 PM »
Roversig! i just increased my single pull weight by installing the heavy lifter spring on my p-01 decocker. Thomas from CGW's recommends this over putting the stock Trigger return spring back in. the difference is the stock trigger return spring weight is noticed from the first movement of the trigger till the hammer falls. The heavy lifter spring is not felt when the trigger first starts to move but as you said the weight is stacked on the back half of the trigger movement as the lifter block functions . I prefer the stacking vs the whole trigger travel weight being increased. just my preference.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:21:20 PM by mkd »

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »
That fits with what I learned -- the heavy lifter is felt at the end of the trigger press.  Whether you like it is subjective.  I wanted to make sure my CZ-75BD number 2 is like my other CZ-75 BD, and like my SP-01 Tactical, so took the heavy spring back out (all four of my decocker CZ's have the CGW ring hammer).  The whole thing was worth doing, for me, because I learned something, ended up after all with the pistol the way I like it, and am a little better at re-assembling a sear cage and all of its contents!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:12:24 PM by RoverSig »

Offline mkd

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »
had trouble with the cage for many yrs! in 2011 i moded my p-01 shortly after i got it. did a little at a time and the sear cage was really intimidating. took alot of time (hrs) to get it back together the first couple of times. After 8 yrs i opened it up again and put the short reset into it and changed the springs out with new. much better this time around. i installed all the pieces minus the three springs and then used two pins to split open the cage to install the springs one at a time. yrs ago i put everything in from one side to the other with the lifter spring being the last to install. never do that way ever again.

anything