Author Topic: New P07 owner - how many carry it?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: New P07 owner - how many carry it?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »
Yup, you need something to keep your magazine clean if you're going to carry it in a pocket (actually they'll get dirty carried anywhere, but a pocket is full of lint/dirt particles.

Not sure that it would have had a negative effect if used but I had a magazine/pocket carry moment one afternoon.  I pulled the mag. out when I got home (as always) and decided to empty/clean/lube it, as I did every so often.  Thumbed out rounds (several and then when the top round came out the next one down did not rise to the mag. lips.  I shook it, bounced it and it finally popped up.  I finished unloading the mag. and it had a lot of gritty lint/dirt in it.  Ordered some IWB mag. holders/pouches that night and used them ever since.  Doesn't rule out mag. issues, but gets them out of my pocket where the "stuff" is.

I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
Yup, you need something to keep your magazine clean if you're going to carry it in a pocket (actually they'll get dirty carried anywhere, but a pocket is full of lint/dirt particles.

Agree and cosign.  I never carry loose mags in my offhand pocket for multiple reasons, one being the tendency for pocket-carried items to collect dust and lint.  If I were going to carry a loose mag in an offhand pocket, I would definitely get one of these protective sleeves.  I looked at them recently and thought about buying one but decided I didn't currently need it.  What I currently do instead is carry an extra mag in either a Blue Force Gear Ten Speed Pistol Mag Pouch attached to an RCS Pocket Shield along with my Streamlight ProTac 2L and Fox Labs flip-top pocket OC spray... normally used for my single-stack .380 extra mag but P-07 mags will also fit... or else I carry it in an OWB horizontal mag pouch from either Safariland or Black Arch, depending on whether it's a 15 or 17 round P-07 mag.

As far as pocket carry goes, I never tried to pocket carry a P-07 although I think it could be done with the right pants and the right pocket holster.  I do regularly alternate between pocket carrying my Sig P290 RS .380 and carrying it in an IWB holster.  This gun serves as an offhand BUG for my P-07 or my primary in low-risk environments.  It accumulates a heck of a lot more dust and lint when being pocket carried vs. being IWB carried.  I take a minimalist approach towards oiling this gun to try and minimize the pocket lint collection but it still gathers quite a lot.  I don't like to regularly un-chamber it since it is 6+1 in my regular EDC rotation, due to bullet setback concerns, and I can't even currently purchase more of my carry ammo for it, so also being a DAO gun I tend to point it in a safe direction and suck the lint off of it with a vacuum cleaner hose attachment and then blow some more off with canned air, while still being chambered but with the mag out.  I even go behind the trigger with the vacuum attachment and suck the dust out of the frame from there.  I wouldn't do that with a striker-fired gun but I feel alright about it with a DA/SA or DAO gun with a long trigger pull.

Edit:  For further clarification on my "vacuuming the dust out of your loaded gun" thing I do, to not totally come off as a reckless idiot and explain why DAO or DA/SA is very significant here... whenever I am holstering a loaded pistol, or manipulating a loaded and un-holstered pistol in any way, I maintain the usual gun safety rules PLUS the hammer is down AND always being held down with my thumb.  So I basically point the gun in a safe direction, finger indexed and off the trigger obviously, thumb holding the hammer down for redundant safety purposes, in my dominant hand... then come at it with a vacuum hose attachment or canned air with my non-dominant hand.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:40:01 AM by CCWLearner, Reason: additional info »

Offline Winkel

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
You're still going to want your LCP2 or something similar for pocket carry, at least for shorts and t-shirt attire in the summer.

There are many holsters available and plenty of threads about it here.  Personally I carry my P-07 IWB behind the hip and rotate between Black Arch Protos-M, Dara Slick Slide, and HolsterCo Light-Bearing Stealth holsters.  I have modified all of them to some degree with clips, spacers, wings, etc. and have them all set up with similar retention and cant etc.  You shouldn't have any problems finding a good holster that meets your requirements, unless you want to carry with a weapon-mounted light, which limits the selection a lot.

My personal recommendation would be to put at least 500 and preferably more like 1000 rounds through it before putting it to work as your carry or home defense pistol.  Also, I'd recommend stripping the slide, cleaning out the firing pin channel, inspecting the firing pin retaining pin for damage, and replacing it with a more durable CGW retaining pin.  This seems to be the most common point of failure on the CZ's with this design, especially if you dry fire them a lot.  Also, if you are going to dry fire, you should consider using a rubber o-ring, a piece of foam ear plug, or something behind the firing pin to cushion the hammer impact and reduce damage to the retaining pin.  Snap caps are probably also a good idea for the same reason.
This is good advice but I'd like to add that if you do use the o-ring for dry fire practice, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT OUT WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED.  I forgot once and on my next range trip (back yard), my first shot went 'click', when it should have gone 'boom'.  If this had been a serious defensive situation, I'd have been in trouble.  On the good side, it did reveal a bad flinch that I've been working on ever since!
I've tried some slices from a yellow ear plug, but they don't stay put very well.
Just my two cents. 

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 01:27:52 AM »
This is good advice but I'd like to add that if you do use the o-ring for dry fire practice, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT OUT WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED.  I forgot once and on my next range trip (back yard), my first shot went 'click', when it should have gone 'boom'.  If this had been a serious defensive situation, I'd have been in trouble.  On the good side, it did reveal a bad flinch that I've been working on ever since!
I've tried some slices from a yellow ear plug, but they don't stay put very well.
Just my two cents.

I had the exact same thing happen once, except it was at an indoor range, not in my back yard.

After that, I switched from black to red o-rings for a more obvious visual reminder that I have something blocking my hammer from hitting the firing pin.

It wasn't going to result in going click instead of bang in a self-defense situation for me, because I have two different-colored CZ P-07's... one always stays loaded and chambered, either on me or in a quick-open box, while the other stays unloaded with a weighted blue practice mag, orange barrel block, and red o-ring in it, in a different room and a different gun safe.  I do however take that one to the range, and with a black o-ring I overlooked it until it went click on the firing line.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 08:27:57 AM »
I figured some pictures would help illustrate that jumble of words I wrote previously, so here we go...

RCS Pocket Shield with P-07 15-round mag, flashlight, OC spray.  This goes in my front right pocket.

Here's my pocket carry setup with my .380 in front left cargo pocket and RCS pocket shield with extra .380 mag in front right pocket.

I can also reverse the flap on that Desantis holster and carry the .380 as a BUG in my front right cargo pocket.

Here are my OWB horizontal mag carriers... offbrand nylon knife pouch for my .380 mag, discontinued Black Arch mag pouch with 15-round P-07 mag, Safariland mag pouch with 17-round P-07 mag:

Aside from issues with dust and lint, I don't want a spare mag floating around in a pocket, because I want to be able to reach for it and index it more or less the same way every time.  So I have a pocket configuration and a horizontal OWB configuration, for two different guns and three different mags, but they are pretty consistent about how I grab each type of mag.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »
Not saying coins in your pocket could work their way into a magazine and jam it up tight, but here's a picture of my little Gerber razor knife.  Pulled it out of pocket one day, tried to flick it open, nope.  Tried again, nope.  Took a look at it and saw what was wrong.  Had to go to the tool box and get a pair of needle nosed pliers to yank the coins out.

edited to add - it wasn't the quarter under the belt clip, it was the pennies jammed into the end of it.

Strange things happen.  I was talking to another guy who said he had the same thing happen with the same knife.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
I am on my 3rd CZ P07. I bought one new a couple years back and sold it. Then bought a used one and sold it. I finally realized I was dumb and had found the handgun that worked best for me, but kept looking. So, bought a new P07 OD through the CZ LE Program and have not looked back.  I carry it concealed mainly while serving on Army National Guard duty. The P07 is just an outstanding handgun that works great for carry. As for spare mags, when on duty, I carry a spare mag in an OWB mag pouch. All other times, I have started using NeoMag and they work excellent.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
I am on duty this weekend, so I figured I would elaborate on actually carrying my P07. Running it in a Black Rhino Concealment holster with a flush 15 round mag. Carrying a spare 17 ruound mag in a Bravo Concealment mag pouch. Running the Olight PL-Mini and carrying a Streamlight Microstream USB.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 07:13:53 PM »
I am on duty this weekend, so I figured I would elaborate on actually carrying my P07. Running it in a Black Rhino Concealment holster with a flush 15 round mag. Carrying a spare 17 ruound mag in a Bravo Concealment mag pouch. Running the Olight PL-Mini and carrying a Streamlight Microstream USB.

Hey, how's the retention on that holster with your Olight PL-Mini?  I have the PL-Mini 2 and the light-bearing holsters I run are from HolsterCo and have retention on the hinge of the QD lever on the left side of the light.  There's an indentation there that the hinge fits into.  I can't see that side of your holster since you're a righty.  I had a Black Rhino light-bearing holster for my Streamlight TLR-7 but the retention wasn't the same since there is no QD lever and hinge on that light.  I have thought about ordering a light-bearing Black Rhino OWB holster with a QLS fork but I want to see an example of the retention for the PL-Mini or PL-Mini 2 design.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 09:15:36 AM »
CCWLearner,

Sorry for the late reply. Retention is really good on the P07 holster. I am also using the Black Rhino Concealment FCS holster for my P09 set up. I got it for my UG/SR P09 with Olight Valkyrie Pro. My other P09s fit good as well.

Offline em44052

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 10:13:03 AM »

I have been looking for a holster that would take an Olight PL-Mini. I will have to look into the Black Rhino.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 06:20:02 PM »
CCWLearner,

Sorry for the late reply. Retention is really good on the P07 holster. I am also using the Black Rhino Concealment FCS holster for my P09 set up. I got it for my UG/SR P09 with Olight Valkyrie Pro. My other P09s fit good as well.

Nice looking rigs you got there.  Thanks for the response.  I'm thinking about ordering a FCS for my P-07 / PL-Mini 2 with QLS fork and optic cut, the next time they are running a sale.  I already have a QLS plate mounted on a Safariland high ride belt loop paired with an ALS / SLS holster.  I was also thinking about mounting another QLS plate on the front of my driver's seat so I could transition from OWB to mounted car carry and back easily.  The Safariland rig doesn't fit too well with the seat belt in my car.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 08:33:43 AM »
Yeah I am just getting into the QLS setups, but really liking it. Going to wait for a Black Rhino sale as well and get a holster for my Beretta Elite LTT with TLR-1. I sure wish Safariland made an ALS holster for the P09 and P07 with lights. I love the ALS system.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »
Yeah I am just getting into the QLS setups, but really liking it. Going to wait for a Black Rhino sale as well and get a holster for my Beretta Elite LTT with TLR-1. I sure wish Safariland made an ALS holster for the P09 and P07 with lights. I love the ALS system.

FYI Black Rhino just posted a Black Friday sale for 30% off of holsters:

https://www.facebook.com/blackrhinoconcealment/photos/a.242771402557642/1760670807434353/?type=3&theater

Discount code is BRCBF30.  I put in my order for a FCS with QLS fork for my P-07 with PL-Mini 2 mounted, 62.99 with shipping.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 03:39:47 PM »
FYI Black Rhino just posted a Black Friday sale for 30% off of holsters:

https://www.facebook.com/blackrhinoconcealment/photos/a.242771402557642/1760670807434353/?type=3&theater

Discount code is BRCBF30.  I put in my order for a FCS with QLS fork for my P-07 with PL-Mini 2 mounted, 62.99 with shipping.

Have to think you for that link to Black Rhino - I haven't been to their site in a long time, and I've been looking everywhere for a holster for my HK 45C/TRL-7 combo with no luck. Turns out Black Rhino makes just what I was looking for.  ;)