Author Topic: New P07 owner - how many carry it?  (Read 5314 times)

Offline SC ASD Dad

New P07 owner - how many carry it?
« on: August 10, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
Just wanted to stop and say hello while I browse the forum.  Picked up a P07 this weekend on a impulse buy while shopping.  My first CZ!  Need to browse the holster thread for some options.  Debating carrying the P07 vs. my others.  I carried a Shield 9 gen 1 for years but never really enjoyed shooting it.  Picked up a G2C on advice from a friend and was surprised how nice it was for the money so sold the Shield and have been carrying the G2C for about the past year.  I live in hot and humid SC so when I am in my lightweight clothes I just slip a LCP2 in my pocket or a Clinger. 

I'm a bigger guy at 6' 3" and 235 lbs so should be able to hide the P07 just fine but I live in shorts and t-shirts the majority of the year.

If I decide I dont like carrying the CZ I'll add a light and use it as my new home gun since I just sold my Sig recently.  I love the way the CZ fits my hand and I've read about its legendary performance so cant wait to get some rounds through it.

Any tips for a new P07 owner and new CZ owner in general?
Dad of 3, new CZ PO7 owner.

Offline CCWLearner

Re: New P07 owner - how many carry it?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 11:25:42 AM »
You're still going to want your LCP2 or something similar for pocket carry, at least for shorts and t-shirt attire in the summer.

There are many holsters available and plenty of threads about it here.  Personally I carry my P-07 IWB behind the hip and rotate between Black Arch Protos-M, Dara Slick Slide, and HolsterCo Light-Bearing Stealth holsters.  I have modified all of them to some degree with clips, spacers, wings, etc. and have them all set up with similar retention and cant etc.  You shouldn't have any problems finding a good holster that meets your requirements, unless you want to carry with a weapon-mounted light, which limits the selection a lot.

My personal recommendation would be to put at least 500 and preferably more like 1000 rounds through it before putting it to work as your carry or home defense pistol.  Also, I'd recommend stripping the slide, cleaning out the firing pin channel, inspecting the firing pin retaining pin for damage, and replacing it with a more durable CGW retaining pin.  This seems to be the most common point of failure on the CZ's with this design, especially if you dry fire them a lot.  Also, if you are going to dry fire, you should consider using a rubber o-ring, a piece of foam ear plug, or something behind the firing pin to cushion the hammer impact and reduce damage to the retaining pin.  Snap caps are probably also a good idea for the same reason.

Offline SC ASD Dad

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
You're still going to want your LCP2 or something similar for pocket carry, at least for shorts and t-shirt attire in the summer.

There are many holsters available and plenty of threads about it here.  Personally I carry my P-07 IWB behind the hip and rotate between Black Arch Protos-M, Dara Slick Slide, and HolsterCo Light-Bearing Stealth holsters.  I have modified all of them to some degree with clips, spacers, wings, etc. and have them all set up with similar retention and cant etc.  You shouldn't have any problems finding a good holster that meets your requirements, unless you want to carry with a weapon-mounted light, which limits the selection a lot.

My personal recommendation would be to put at least 500 and preferably more like 1000 rounds through it before putting it to work as your carry or home defense pistol.  Also, I'd recommend stripping the slide, cleaning out the firing pin channel, inspecting the firing pin retaining pin for damage, and replacing it with a more durable CGW retaining pin.  This seems to be the most common point of failure on the CZ's with this design, especially if you dry fire them a lot.  Also, if you are going to dry fire, you should consider using a rubber o-ring, a piece of foam ear plug, or something behind the firing pin to cushion the hammer impact and reduce damage to the retaining pin.  Snap caps are probably also a good idea for the same reason.

Thanks for the tips.  I already field cleaned it last night to get rid of any shipping oil and lubed up spots that looked like it may need it.  I read on another thread about locking the slide back for a couple of days to break in the recoil spring as well as shooting higher grain/hotter rounds at first.  I'll strip the slide down soon to inspect things.  I would never dry fire train with a hammer gun without a snap cap and I have plenty in 9mm.  I also have a laser training round I want to try out in it.

1000 rds is going to be tough these days for me.  CZ may need to sit in the safe until I can get a large amount of ammo stashed back up which would be a bummer.  I had around 3500 rounds or so in various weights along with a couple hundred carry rounds (I normally carry Critical Defense) but my oldest started shooting more with me and we blew through over half over the summer.  I actually swapped to my .22 pistols for us last month since I have plenty of that for now.

I'll get a couple boxes through it and see how it goes. 

Oh - the LCP isnt going anywhere.  It's so effortless to carry when I dont feel the need to get my belt and holster on.  I greatly dislike shooting it for "fun" but get time on it consistently to stay on top of things.  The P07 would replace the G2C.
Dad of 3, new CZ PO7 owner.

Offline seebee62

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
The P07 is a great gun to carry. Feels better than many guns of the similar size.

It’s been about year since I carried mine. Only reason is that I got a couple 365’s XL and a standard for summer carry and was training more with those then came a Shotgun and AR and I was shooting those a lot and stopped shooting the P07. This winter I’ll probably carry it but I  need to get reps with the DA/SA.

I use a Vedder Light Tuck when carrying it. They make a great IWB holster for the P07.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
Any tips for a new P07 owner and new CZ owner in general?

Welcome Aboard !

CZ are famous for needing a "running in" period. I wouldn't carry it right out of the box. Give it 500 rounds to become its real self. Once that's done you'll get to where you can't live without !!
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline lebomb

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »
I had a CZ-P07 back in 2016.  I sold it for a reason I can not even remember.  I had a number of firearms after and always regretted selling my P07.  Well, I picked up a brand new P07 last week.  It is and has always been my favorite firearm.  I do not conceal carry yet, so this gun is my home defense gun and to take to the range and shoot some rounds.  Great choice in guns SC ASD DAD.  Congratulations.
CZ P10S
CZ P10M (wife’s)

Son of Thunder

Offline Porcupine

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
I daily carry a P07 in a Dara slick side AIWB holster. Going on 2 years now.

Living in NC I wear shorts and T shirts much of the year. As long as I can wear an untucked shirt it conceals beautifully. I’m 5’8”, so I don’t expect you’ll have difficulty concealing it comfortably.

Get a Kadet kit. They are very reasonable (for the P07), and will allow you to shoot while preserving your 9mm ammunition.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »
My P07 DUTY .40 has been my concealed EDC pistol for 8 or 9 years.

Iron sights at first.  The off to Primary Machine for a slide milling/RMR installation/back up sight milling and installation/cerakoting and back to me.  Awesome gun.  Only thing I've got that shoots better groups is my P09 9MM.

I use a LAG Tactical kydex IWB holster with a piece of leather cut/attached to the holster to protect my roll of skin from the hammer and spur.  It's carried cocked and locked.

Like everything else.  Some people are happy with them and some are not.  Some are smoother than others.  Some more accurate than others.  I believe, if I run across another one in .40 one of these days I might pick it up as a spare/back up.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline QuickDrawMcgraw

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »
My P07 DUTY .40 has been my concealed EDC pistol for 8 or 9 years.

Iron sights at first.  The off to Primary Machine for a slide milling/RMR installation/back up sight milling and installation/cerakoting and back to me.  Awesome gun.  Only thing I've got that shoots better groups is my P09 9MM.

I use a LAG Tactical kydex IWB holster with a piece of leather cut/attached to the holster to protect my roll of skin from the hammer and spur.  It's carried cocked and locked.

Like everything else.  Some people are happy with them and some are not.  Some are smoother than others.  Some more accurate than others.  I believe, if I run across another one in .40 one of these days I might pick it up as a spare/back up.

Let me know if you find 2 and I'll buy the other. :P
I have a P-09 in 40 and it is amazing...want the P-07 in 40 bad....
16 CZs and counting

Offline inthevalley

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 08:39:12 PM »
I carry a P07 pretty much all the time im not working (have to dress business casual) in a JMCK "George" AIWB. Highly highly recommend JMCK if you are carrying appendix. If I didnt carry appendix I could not conceal a P07 in just a loose-ish tshirt in the hot summer.

The reccomendations I have would be what I would recommend every gun owner: practice practice practice! Dry fire at least 1x/wk for 10-30 mins, more if you can, and obviously get to the range with a shot timer and start getting better at shooting.

One CZ specific recommendation: buy the Cajun Gun Works (CGW) improved firing in retaining pin (fprp). The stock fprp is fragile and can break after a couple hundred dry fires, while the CGW version lasts for many thousands. The pin is only $5 but I would spring for the $75 short reset kit instead which, along with a lighter hammer spring, gives a much lighter and smoother DA pull without sacrificing reliability, and a shorter reset in SA.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
I carry my P-07 every day all year long in an Aliengear Cloak Tuck IWB holster.  I’m 6’1 260 and it conceals great and is very comfortable in Texas summers wearing shorts/Tshirt and also in casual business attire (khaki’s and tucked in golf shirt).
I shot mine well right out of the box though the DA first shot takes some getting used to if you aren’t experienced with DA/SA. After about 300 rds I went ahead and installed the Cajun Gunworks Pro trigger kit...what a difference!  I had been carrying a Wilson Combat EDC-X9 but after the first 200 rds with the Cajunized P-07, it became my full-time carry gun and sold the EDC-X9 with zero regrets.

Offline Yoni

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 08:02:12 AM »
P07/09 have become my go to pistols.

I carry a P07 with a 19 round P09 mag in it. I wear shorts now that it is summer and a T shirt. I am 5'11" and 200 pounds. I carry it IWB with a Streamlight on it. I use a holster that covers just the flashlight. I carry it to meetings in jeans and untucked dress shirt, I also wear it when in a suit.

I have carried it on operations in Africa, concealed.

It is an easy gun to conceal, I used to do it with the P09 and before that Glock 34 or Browning Hi Power. I have carried the Glock or Hi Power when I used to work for the government into places where I had no permit to carry and discover would probably mean arrest and torture at the minimum. I have never been made.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »
My P-07 OD is the one I keep coming back to for daily carry. It's pretty much perfection in a carry gun, as far as I'm concerned. Since I generally carry AIWB, I really like the added security of a hammer. And after some time cleaning/polishing and some CGW upgrades, the action is as smooth as I've felt on any polymer hammer gun, short of a FN that costs twice as much.

Offline CZMN

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 07:25:37 PM »
I bought a PO7 a little over a month or so ago. I've got probably 200 rounds through it. I'm hoping it will replace my FNP 9. I have numerous Garrett holsters from Ron Garrett. They are Kydex on the outside and leather lined. It's a quiet draw and much kinder to the guns finish. He has a lot of different mounting options and is a great guy to work with.

Being from northern MN seems we are always wearing at least a light jacket. I was never one to worry about printing a little bit. Most people would never notice.

Offline Silhouette

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »
P0-7 is my EDC, including with summer clothing: shorts, t-shirts. I'm 5'6", 158 lbs, no problem with printing using leather Falco IWB, spare mag in pocket with AmmoArmor sleeve.

anything