Author Topic: Will slides fit other frames?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Hog Driver

Will slides fit other frames?
« on: August 14, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »
I recently purchased a 75b 40s&w frame from a user here. (Great deal! love it) I use it for a dedicated kadet gun. Out of curiosity I put an 85c slide on it. Didn't fit and no surprise there. Then I tried a matte stainless 75b slide and it also wouldn't fit. I was under the impression most slides could be swapped to other frames. Are there any general rules about what fits, what doesn't?

Offline himurax13

Re: Will slides fit other frames?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 09:34:23 AM »
When you say doesn't fit, are you saying that the slides are wider than the frames or are they not sliding on all the way due to the firing pin lifter?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Hog Driver

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 10:17:07 AM »
The 85c hits the fp lifter as I expected, but the 75b slide stops about 1/4" from fully on. Stuart at CZCustom kindly replied to an email and said it is probably the extractor housing. Still can't see it for myself but am more interested in a general answer. I thought most 75 slides fit most frames.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 11:07:39 AM »
I was told by CGW that they were interchangeable so my grand plan was to get my Phantom slide milled for a red dot and use it on my cajunized SP-01 Tactical frame for Carry Optics division shooting. Alas, it does not fit--not even close.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
I was told by CGW that they were interchangeable so my grand plan was to get my Phantom slide milled for a red dot and use it on my cajunized SP-01 Tactical frame for Carry Optics division shooting. Alas, it does not fit--not even close.

I had a very similar plan and came to the same conclusion. So now I'll just have to get the extra Phantom slide milled and use it on the Phantom lower instead of the SP-01.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
The only one I've attempted to swap is putting a DUTY 9MM P07 slide on a DUTY .40 S&W frame.  Worked fine, no issues.

It may be that there are slight differences in some slides/frames and when they build them at the factory they have to do some additional clearance work (filing/stoning/polishing) to get a slide and frame to fit/work together.  Maybe one or the other is "off" just slightly and they make them fit/work.  If so, who knows which piece the modify, the slide or the frame?  Which is quickest/easiest?  If this occurs and either frame or slide is swapped another frame/slide later there might be similar clearance issues.

Didn't CZ make some pistols with full length slides on Compact frames?  Or was it Compact slides on full sized frames?  But even so, they'd have made sure the parts fit/worked at the factory before shipping them.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »
The only one I've attempted to swap is putting a DUTY 9MM P07 slide on a DUTY .40 S&W frame.  Worked fine, no issues.

It may be that there are slight differences in some slides/frames and when they build them at the factory they have to do some additional clearance work (filing/stoning/polishing) to get a slide and frame to fit/work together.  Maybe one or the other is "off" just slightly and they make them fit/work.  If so, who knows which piece the modify, the slide or the frame?  Which is quickest/easiest?  If this occurs and either frame or slide is swapped another frame/slide later there might be similar clearance issues.

Didn't CZ make some pistols with full length slides on Compact frames?  Or was it Compact slides on full sized frames?  But even so, they'd have made sure the parts fit/worked at the factory before shipping them.

I agree. Its a tolerance stacking issue and my sample size is too small. Same thing with AR uppers and lowers. Some combos fit nice and tight and others are sloppy.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:04:22 PM »
If we only knew why CZ does what they do.

A CZ75B in 9MM has a left side safety.  A CZ75B in .40 has ambidextrous safeties.  The right side safety on the .40 (and the CZ85) requires a larger hole in the right side of the sear cage (and frame) for it to insert/lock in place properly.

A CZ75SA in 9MM also has ambidextrous safeties.  I have no idea is the 9MM CZ75SA and the CZ75B in .40 use the same sear cage, or not.

When I converted my CZ75 Compact to ambidextrous safeties I drilled the right side of the sear cage out to accommodate that right side safety.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline CZlover714

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 11:42:26 PM »

Offline Hog Driver

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 11:49:54 PM »
Broke down and got out the micrometer. Turns out the stainless slide is actually .030 thicker than the rails on the 40sw frame. Bumps up against the frame about 5mm before sliding all the way on. I was so focused on the sear cage, ejector housing and area around the hammer that I didn't even check the other end of the slide. I'd post a picture but can't get it to work.

anything