Author Topic: My best friend decided to surprise me  (Read 910 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
My best friend decided to surprise me
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:45:19 PM »
With a SIG MSR green dot for the BREN 2 MS pistol! I was quite surprised, a very nice gesture. A little background before we get into anything here.
My usual dot of choice for us low end consumers is the SIg Romeo5, commercial picture here.

The SIG Romeo5 featuers MOTAC, aka "shake awake" tech, that if the dot remains motionless for 120 seconds it turns itself off. It has covered adjustment turrets with adjusting tools built in the turret caps. It features a push button up/down on brightness, and does not need to go full up to be seen in daylight. In house level is usually 3. It comes with a rubber bikini lens cover.

This is the SIG MSR, (Modern Sporting Rifle), red/green dot. She didn't know what color I liked so she got me green. No worries. But I will note, purely for the sake of review and NEVER to disparage such a wonderful gift, the differences between the two. Commercial photo below.

A lot of differences jump out at you. One is the adjustment - the MSR uses a simple wheel compared to the Romeo5 push "+" "-" buttons. The first time I moved the wheel it was stiff as a life sentence. The first two positions are for night vision. Considering good NV is $5,000 or so, why someone who could afford it would buy a $99 dot is an interesting question. Inside level is 5. The Romeo5 has covered turrets, but the MSR has uncovered adjustment wheels that require a tool such as a screwdriver. The MSR has flip up front and rear glass covers, not a bikini. The Rome5 has MOTAC shake awake tech - the MSR does not. The Romeo5 uses a 2032 watch battery and a listed battery life of 50,000 hours. The MSR uses a 1632 watch battery and claims a battery life of 20,000 hours. The apparent field of view is similar. Both mount the exact same way, and adjustments seem to be about the same.

In actual use, the Romeo5 is a very easy to use, in that I turn it on and leave it; with MOTAC I have nothing to worry about. The MSR is old school -  turn it off or find a dead dot. The Romero5 needs about 2 bumps up from in house setting for daylight. The MSR needed to go to the max at 10 to be easily seen on an overcast day.

Romeo5 installed.

MSR installed.

Just like when I bore sighted the Romeo 5 to the son's rifle, it was close to on target, and after just a few adjustments, this was the result at 50 yards. Note - the front rest was too short, so this is actually "magazine" rested. But once on target it did well.

My standard "back up load" is the Tula steel case;

Quite nice. i only fred a few groups - temps had climbed well past 100 degrees at this point.

So, with time and decent ammo this little gun seems to be 3-4 MOA capable, not bad with an 11 inch tube. And the little green eye gave me an idea for a name ...

Europe

Re: My best friend decided to surprise me
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
great gift and very nice groups.
Now is your turn to surprise your friend ;D.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
Great to see that comparison. I do think that a green dot is a lot nicer and easier to pick up during daylight (for my eyes, anyway).

But this also re-affirms for me that the Romeo 5 is just a darn good RD for the money, and I've gotten somewhat spoiled with the MOTAC feature. It works really well, in my experience, and when I go back to an RDS that requires a manual on/off it feels like stepping back in time.

I'll likely be replacing the the current RDS I have on my Scorpion with another Romeo 5.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 11:19:27 PM »
I will keep this one for now- it works. But yes, I will get another Romeo5 to replace it eventually.

Offline Togmaster

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:40:49 PM »
Everything you said reinforced how I already feel about  my romeo 5. Quick to target and always on. I'm  very impressed with it at a a about  $100
Let's go Brandon!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 03:11:34 AM »
Indeed, indeed. This will do for now. :)

anything