Author Topic: 6mm ARC - anyone ... anyone...  (Read 6384 times)

Offline newageroman

6mm ARC - anyone ... anyone...
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
Race of 2 barrels. First is a CMMG 20", next is a Brownells/BA 24" - whichever gets here first gets my money, the other one gets cancelled. Have RCBS dies on the way. Upper is ready for barrel and handguard.

I pre-ordered the barrel from Brownells almost three months ago. Others are getting barrels in so I called to inquire. they said it should be any day now but I got the feeling they really had no clue. so I cancelled that one and started looking elsewhere. I thought I was golden with CMMG until I ordered and then saw the 10-15 week wait time. Back to Brownells and put the BA barrel back on pre-order. The first BA barrel I had on order was a 20" with a .750 gas port. When I re pre-ordered I went for the longest one they have but it has a .996 gas port. Whatever, just get a barrel in these hands...

Anyone else care to share info/exp? throw 'em up!
75B-ZomBullShadow SAO Build (current fav)
SP-01-SAO-compedOpenMajor w/DOT
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

Re: 6mm ARC - anyone ... anyone...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:30:07 PM »

Barrel arrived Friday evening. Waiting on handguard (I went cheap!)
Scrounged brass and found 16 6.5 Grendel cases.
Hot washed, dried, deprimed, lubed, 1/2 neck sized and then finally full len sized the cases. they are about 30 thou too long.
Need trimmer, have little crow WFT for 6ARC specifically on the way.
I did hand file 1 case down to make a reference round. I SWEAR I bout some 100 gn .243s the other day and they are nowhere to be found!

What powders would you guys run? I'm thinking H335 (that I use for 223).

Stay Tuned!
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Online tdogg

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 01:01:07 AM »
I'm waiting on my barrel.  I just recently built a 6.5 Grendel so I am going to see which I like more and sell the other.

I'm have quite a few powders to try, Varget, 8208, N133, and RL15.  If I could just find some more CCI450's I'd be happy.  I've already sized, annealed, and trimmed some new 6.5 Grendel brass.   I have quite a few bullets to test out too, Berger Hybrids, Sierra Matchkings, and Amax's.

I have everything else needed to build the upper.  I went with a 20 inch 5R from Sanders Armory.

I'm hoping to use it as my deer rifle in addition to plinking.  We'll see how it performs!

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline newageroman

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »
Heck yeah TDOGG, I think this train will be big but we will see.
Be sure to check out johnnys reloading bench on YT his last shots there with H108s
Johnnys reloading bench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=dOZDbYIc-w0
HOLY CRAP-
At 1:39:52 AMAZING load - lik 1/2" group and single dig ES and SDs... Running the white oak barrel with supressor though
108 ELD-M – 2.253”
*** CFE 223
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
Update...
Converted Grendle to 6 ARC using the Lee quick trim die. Only had a Grendle trim die so I filed the top down to work. Also removed the champher/deburr and only used the trim head. Ive had issues with long trims on other calibers. Finished up with hand champher/deburr tool.
Worked, made a reference round.

Using this I picked a COAL and powder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=dOZDbYIc-w0

Got some 105 berger hybrid targets for $41/100
Seating Reference round to COAL: ~2.232”
Brass trim len: 1.480 – Using lee Quicktrim – took 2 rounds of trims with champher and deburrr in between.
Load PP Varmit 24(4), 25(5), 26(6) grains - Fire forming
CCI SRP  with the hand primer.
Temp was 70ish cloudy near end of day (racing the shadows in the miata!)
I just now looked at the chrono data. there were some err rounds in the low range, Not super alarming, just weird as I've rarely had errors with this unit.
Looking for other powders to use, I have H335. Also need to find BLC-2 or CFE223.
Also need small pile of brass (250). I did not anneal these cases during the process. Is that highly suggested/required, or just a super accuracy thing. I may run a batch of 100 new grendle and save the rest to load up after checking brass life with the first batch. I still can't find ANY 6ARC brass besides factory loaded ammo (blauh!!!)

Any input pleas post up, thanks! I also ran the new 97B today,... see other thread..
PP Varmit
1ERR round
4ERR
0 ERRs
LO:2411
AVG:2506
ES:148
SD:51
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
250 Starline cases ordered just now.
Have the originals reloaded for 3 test group nodes. the highest round I shot last time being the central ladder load, and another set of 5 rounds -/+ .3 grains. Should keep me busy until the ne brass gets here and I can really get down.
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »

Got to the mid level set of rounds and got 1 pierced primer. Finished that set of 5 with no issues, and stopped there.
Losts of 97B loads tested. My favorite 97 load were the 200gn FTXs -  I didn't even think about mag len, then just cut the tips off with a razor. Ran great with Alliant power pistol.

The 01 Open Major Racegun with the BIG DOT ran tops today as well!

I brought my chrono and the tripod, but I left my tripod mount on the camera at home and thus NO CHRONO - D'oh...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:18:36 AM by Wobbly, Reason: Mods set photo width to 500 »
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 11:37:52 PM »
Got some good results today. NEW Starline Grendle brass converted to 6mmARC, loaded up pairs of rounds in using the Berger 105s and ppVarmit + .3 increments starting low.

Another reason to start low when a component is changed - I was getting velocities similar to the reloading data at lower charge weights than mentioned by Hornady. I attribute this to different headstamp brass and possibly converted brass as well reducing case capacity just a tad.

Worked up to 2446 on my last load and both of them were exact same speed so that may be a node. That is approaching standard velocity that Hornady has published. Next round will be 5 shot groups with a few other groups at longer distances.
Brass looks great, no pressure indicators yet.
Stay tuned for more.
Also ran some test loads in the 97 using Power Pistol and confirmed charge weights for those.
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Online tdogg

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 12:46:35 AM »
Still waiting on my barrel.  Won't have time to work anything up anytime soon so I'm not to that upset.  Thanks for sharing your work.  I'm interested in seeing the comparison between Hornady and Starline as I only have Starline.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline newageroman

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »
sure, np, this helps me log my datanerd stuff. I have seen higher numbers with varget and 4895, but hey if I can get to 1k with a mildish load I'll take that. Might try some lazers later on.

I'm seeing the challenge for reloading in this cartridge, If I go bigger bullets, they will have to be seated shorter in order to keep mag len. Then you also have less capacity and higher pressures, so the best performance is a balancing point it seems. very interesting - compared to most of my prev rifle loading where capacity is a lot more than I ever needed.

Good luck on the barrel Toby. I just gave up on mine as if on an island in the pacific in a fed ex tube. Good luck and post when you get it!. I still have one out there somewhere potentially...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:19:19 PM by Wobbly »
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 10:13:51 PM »
Hits on Steel at 600yds today!
I've never really shot ARs much, especially over 100yds. A friend put a 556 ruger scout rifle out to 500 and I was impressed as hell with that.

I am seeing pressure signs (1 out of 5 pierced primers) around 2550 with current setup, so I'll be dropping the vel a bit on those.

I've heard great things about Leverloution so I might try that later on, but for now, I will be going into factory mode. Forming/trimming/loading/buying more brass and a fat stack of 500 bergers...
So due to the wind I was a bit off to the right, but then heard the faint tink, Checked the Overhead video impact monitor and yes, a grey dot off to the top right corner of the 4'x4' sighter steel plate. Put another one and confirmed, then held for windage and gave 2 more. Not the best groupings, but definitely something I can work with. I would have tried for 750, but out of bullets...

I also ran the war rigs today, but because I miss shooting those sweet rifles. The IHC Garand was shot with 16" SA rifle sword affixed sow well I felt like the kid in The Sword and the Stone when it did come off.. there were a couple of guys there that heard the ping and had to shoot it. The 1903 USMC rebuild (Crayon eater) was also shot. the bolt on that thing is like silk, the C stock really helps. The ladder sights are cool but that peep hole, and the glint off the front blade. man that is difficult! The guys shooting ARs at 2/300 just laughed when the 168gn skirted clouds of dust on steel impacts at 2650... one guy was calling stated calling hits, I laughed, like it wasn't obvious. Then he started calling the oclocks and inches which did actually help. It was good to see the old guns run!

The CZ97 rode with me up there, but the shadows  (trees not czs...) chased me away before I could break it out. still a great day.

Edit: I found out my range has an AMP Annealeze annealer to use! all I have to do is buy the pilot and shell holder. I've only annealed 06 once years ago. It "looked" like it worked but IDK. I'm hoping to anneal my starline 6.5 CM brass next time I go. Any body here have tips on this specific model let me know.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:24:22 PM by newageroman »
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »
Made some more rounds last night mild load of ppVarmit @ ~2450.  I also worked a ladder load of pairs using hornady load data for 105s using Leverloution.
I'll probably go ahead and run a set of CFE2230 ladder loads too just cause I done got it.

More parts arrived today from joebob... extra Grendle BCG, ergo grip, and some more mags, bipod AND a nice bit stainless steel brake!

I noticed that when shooting at 5/600 yds with my AR (I just kind of like saying that), even when I dialed down to 7x mag, I was having trouble spotting impacts. I had to make rifle safe and jump up on top of the bench and look close at the HD impact monitors to confirm shots...

Another note... I've never used the lg powder bar on the Dillon and was excited to try it with the water flowing ppVarmit! Well, during disassebly I launched the small white plastic lock tab somewhere into the office.... DIDN'T stop me though!

I set it up to feed and prime cases around to station #4, then pulled the case and use dthe old RCBS powder drop and trickle to charge all rounds, seating bullet and done. Used the #1 shellplate, but its a bit wobbly with teh same pins for 45. The feed tubes arent exaclty correct too, a bit of tweaking on that, I have feed tube adapters/conv kits for 223/06 so between that something should work.

I also took the primer system apart yesterday and cleaned and honed everything up nice and smooth. After a couple of powder spills, some gets in the primer disk and guns up, or can. Just something to watch out for if your primer feed disk gets "difficult". I also honed the index catch down to be smooth again as there was a bit of wear to be seen on the top where the shellplates make contact. Have about 10k on this unit and still rolls smooth!

97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »
Another decent round of testing for the ARC. I forgot my tripod attachment for chrono, so no fps DOH!
Anyone have the tips on tripods that I can quickly swap from chrono to camera, hog saddle post 'em up pls. I'm looking for christmas gift ideas...
Sinclair muzzle brake and bipod were welcome additions. Leverloution showed promise. I stopped at 28.5 gns using hornady data.
I think I'll work some 5 round loads using leverloution looking for nodes. Keep pumping out the ppVarmit rounds until that's gone. Payday will of course buy more brasses...
I am noticing that some of my brass has copper jacket shavings on the lip of the brass after firing even.

I see these on some rounds where the bullet is not seated 100% correct, causing some of the jacket to be shimmed. I just ran em, but next time I will champher the inside and take more time to make sure they are seated nicely, Odds will be warm ups/sighters. The other guys wer sighting in deer rifles at 100 yds with TV boxes...

Once all that was done, the guy next to me at the pistol pit had a stainless 75B with lok grips WOW! It was nice. I let him check out the FUDD 97 after plopping rounds down around pieces of clays. I ran through about 100 rounds of those, Love that gun now that I have the rubber grips! I'm still on the fence about building it out or keeping as stock. Ran the old 1911 today with NO JAMS! Great day at the range! Weather was beautiful!
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Online tdogg

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 03:12:34 PM »
Still waiting on my barrel...
This forum rocks!

Offline newageroman

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 05:24:57 PM »
I had a 24"BA barrel on pre order with Brownells and gave up on that. But I have heard they are shipping the 20" BA barrels.  I'm curious as to when the long ones will ship.

Looking at the brass/primers in comparison, and me being new to ARs, I'm wondering how to test for primer pin protrusion. I've only had a couple of pierced primers, using Horn Brass. Looking at the primers from starline, in the most recent firings with Leverloution and ppVarmit, the primers look like they are close to piercing, but not quite flat around the edges. There is also not any bright ejector marks on the brass either. all looks pretty GTG faster except the center of the primer where the pin hits it. you can see the divit, a slight bit of cratering, and then the very center of the primer looks to be pushed back up. Hard to explain, I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

I DO have an extra BCG I could throw in and test/compare, but I'd really like to figure this primer protrusion depth thing out.
Thx and good luck on the barrel! It sounds like you have quite a bit of options to play with.
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..