Author Topic: Got my 9MM P07 back today  (Read 2736 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Got my 9MM P07 back today
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:04:09 PM »
Hasn't been shot much.  We did put some night sights on it several years ago.  Also replaced the trigger return spring, firing pin retaining pin and firing pin block spring with CGW lower weight versions a year or so back.

Two P07 mags, 4 P09 mags.

CGW doesn't seem to sell the lanyard loop hammer spring cups.  Had to order one (plus a competition hammer, stronger sear spring, and a captured P07 9MM recoil spring) from CZ USA.  I was kind of surprised they had all that in stock.  I know the captured recoil spring and lanyard loops are not too popular.

I don't remember shooting it.  Gotta get it to the range in a few days to see how it shoots.  Good enough and it'll get one of the big Holosun (the RMR footprint sized ones) and be my road trip/carry around the property pistol.

Sure hope the darn thing'll shoot as good as the .40 P07.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Slotback

Re: Got my 9MM P07 back today
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »
I recently put the MCarbo springs into my P-07. It shoots really nice. Like you I got the lanyard loop too. I like it.

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »
Ya, the lanyard loop will just kill your hand when doing fast reloads. Took the lanyard loop off all my CZ's

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 06:24:26 AM »
The lanyard loops are on all my CZ's (except the big old Tactical Sport).  No issues, so far.

Makes me feel better to be able to hook up a lanyard to the pistol butt while kayaking (fishing, not white water).  Haven't been on my 350X in years, but if I was still riding it through the woods/back roads I'd want the lanyard on the pistol for that, too.

The mag on the pistol while in the holster (IWB) mag be short/flat to conceal better.  The back up/spare magazines have +2's on them.  No lanyard loop contact possiible.

I know, not a P07, but the idea/use is the same.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Slomaro

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
Sorry to go off topic but @ M1A4ME 350X as in Honda ATC 350X?

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »
Yes.  The torque monster.  Only open class cross country 3 wheeler ever made by any manufacturer.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
Okay, the package from CZ Custom came in today.  Not as fast on the shipping as CGW - but faster than CZ USA for sure!

Anyway, CZ Custom P07 hammer, extra power sear spring, captured recoil spring assembly (to put away for a spare) and the lanyard loop.

As they say, "fitting required" and they were right.

Not as much time on my clock (brain/hands/fingers) with the P07/P09 as with the CZ75 types as my P07/P09 pistols were pretty darn good out of the box (trigger pull and accuracy).  This P07 wasn't really too bad but what the heck.  I've put CGW hammers in CZ75s and never tried a CZ Custom hammer till today.

Aggravations -
1.  The darn "clicker" on the left side safety fell off almost every time I pulled the safety out of the frame, it did stay in once out of 4 or 5 safety removals.
2.  Finally figured out how to push down the trigger bar and ejector and push the left side safety in all at the same time - without a third hand.
3.  Took 3 attempts to get just the right amount of metal removed from the front upper tab on the sear to get the safety shaft to rotate under it to put the pistol on safe.  I'd made up my mind to lay it down and take a break when the safety clicked on the 2nd or 3rd time I pushed it upwards.  Worked it back and forth some more and insured it did function properly (not allow the hammer to fall when the trigger is pulled and the safety is "up."

The good

1.  hammer pin easily moved out of the hammer so I could change the guide over to the new hammer.  Pin installed just a bit tighter in the new hammer, but still easy compared to the CZ75s I've done the same with
2.  Trigger pull after it was all put back together and lubed (SA) is 3.5 lbs. for the first 4 or 5 pulls.  It may "work in" lighter with use.  I'll have to shoot it some to see (dry firing's just not as much fun.)
3.  The first few pulls there was a bit of drag/grind just before the "wall".  Just a little bit.  After those first 4 or 5 pulls it disappeared.  Noticed it right away and did a few more dry fires and it was really gone.

One odd thing.  I suppose my fault.  I was getting tired (already tired from washing/waxing my wife's Outlander this morning) and may have done something I've never done before.  I didn't get the .40 P07 down to see if it would do the same thing or not.

For some reason, after I finished the function checks/dry fire I racked the slide back and put it on safe.  The hammer was cocked, the pistol safety moved to SAFE.  I then hit the slide release and inserted a magazine.  The magazine sort of bound up short of fully seated and I smacked the bottom of the magazine to fully seat it.  The slide went forward like a 1st Gen M&P.  Whoa, that never happened before.  I picked up the previously chambered round and tried to insert it in the magazine.  No go.  It would not insert into the magazine.  Picked the pistol up and there was no round in the chamber.  Hmm. 

Fiddled with it some more.  Figured out when I pushed the slide to the rear and then engaged the safeties the slide was not all the way back and the slide release was not what was holding the slide to the rear.  Can't say that happens with the others I have.  Not sure why I put the safeties on at that point or if the P07 .40 would do the same.

If I rack the slide back, use the slide safety to hold the slide back and then insert the magazine it locks in easily and chambers a round when I release the slide with the slide release.

Took a picture of the two hammers (factory and CZ Custom) to show the "hooks" on the triggers so it's easy to see what the aftermarket hammers result in a nice crisp trigger pull vs. the factory hammers.  Not saying the factory hammers are bad, just saying there's a reason why the aftermarket hammers make a smoother trigger pull and cost more.

Factory hammer at the top, CZ Custom hammer at the bottom.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »
Drove down to Monroe, NC yesterday to drop the slide and Holosun red dot off at DP Customworks for slide milling (for the red dot and the rear back up sight), melonite refinishing, front/rear sights/installation.  Should be ready in 3 to 4 weeks when we'll make a return trip to pick it up.

Decided to go that route (driving down to DP Customworks) for two or three reasons.  One is turn around time.  I want the darn thing done/back in my hands prior to the elections, for obvious reasons (or my own paranoia  ::)).  I distrust shipping more and more these days.  In the last year I've had a shipment of flooring destroyed by Fedex (had to return more than half the boxes after they'd been stored/shipped/dropped on the corners hard enough to bust the edges up too bad to use) and a lost shipment through UPS (one email said they couldn't deliver it because no one was home, we were hear all day but it was putting down a toad strangler of a rain storm, the next e-mail said it had been dropped off at an alternate location - store a few miles from the house, the store said they didn't have it, the next email said it would be delivered to my house a day later, it wasn't and got another email telling me it had been returned to the store, it wasn't and a couple emails to UPS help people got my emails telling me their drivers always told the truth and if they said the package was delivered then it had been delivered).

Shipping and insurance for the slide up and back would have been something over $40.  We like to drive and the 435i in eco mode got us just over 37 mpg down and back yesterday (the more I drive it, the more I like it).

I heard about DP Customworks on the M&P Forum and arfcom.  He's an M&P fan, but I won't hold that against him.  Pictures/review when I get it back and shoot it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:16:13 AM by M1A4ME, Reason: corrected business name »

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 01:49:40 PM »
Bought a Safariland 578 GLS holster the other day.  Safariland says P09, but it'll fit the P07 if the P09 fits.

So, put it together, put it on the thigh rig panel and been using it every day.  Great.

Then, a couple days ago, up on the roof on one of the sheds (leak patching during this dry spell) I was rolling around on the plywood trying to get up and the magazine popped out and hit the plywood with a thump.  Huh!!??  Put the magazine back in and went on painting "bad" spots.  Got done, put stuff away and moved on to something else.

Yesterday I was working on a car.  Same thing, rolling around behind the car on the ground and as I got up I felt a slight shifty feeling on the my right leg.  Looked down and the magazine was loose, but hadn't fallen out.  That's got to stop.  Can't put up with that.

Got the P07 out this morning and finally determined where the mag. catch was making contact.  Marked it with a sharpie, took it to the shed, set up the dremelt and removed a small (size of my little fingernail) piece of kydex from the inside, just behind the top rear screw that attaches the holster to the leg rig.  Got the edes smoothed up, put the holster back on the leg rig and tried it out.  No way, now, to twist the pistol enough in the holster to hit that spot because the spot is gone.

No issues with the missing piece causing something else to hit the mag. release either.  To far away from my leg and a small gap, at that point, between the leg rig plate and the holster.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »
I get that mag-dropping problem with new holsters and need to modify those holsters to solve it on a fairly regular basis, especially due to being left-handed.  For any carry rig, whether it's IWB, OWB, pocket, or whatever, having inadvertent mag drops is a total deal breaker.  The best holsters, as far as this issue goes, have a flared and rigid area guarding the mag release, on whichever side it may be, perhaps both for an ambi release.  The worst ones have a flexible flat surface just waiting for some mild pressure to drop your mag.  Cutting that surface out with a dremel like you did is the usual solution for that.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 06:50:48 AM »
Yeah, what did it was me rolling over on it, or leaning up against something hard enough to twist the grip/frame around far enough (to my left) to make the mag. release contact that spot in the holster.  Haven't run into that before with a Safariland holster.  When I figured out what was going on I came in the house, grabbed the same model holster I carry the M&P .45 Compact in (same holster, but adjusted to fit the M&P) and could not duplicate the problem.  Slightly different mag. release button location in relation to the spot in the holster.  You just can make it hit/contact.

Old guy that used to work with my dad sometimes was a Great Depression survivor and a WW2 US Army veteran.  He used to say, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."  They had it a lot harder than most of us.  But I still get a kick out of making something work for me.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 06:30:08 PM »
Interesting stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
Sorry, running late on pictures I promised.

Slide off the frame and Holosun off the slide while I was checking the battery door and replacing the battery after that first range trip.

Milled for red dot, rear sight, new back up sights installed and melonite coated (treated) by DP Custom Works down in NC.

Front sight.

Rear sight in front of the red dot and the Holosun.  He told me he could also mill it so the rear sight was behind the red dot but I wanted to keep it consistent with my P07 .40 and P09 9MM done several rears ago by Primary Machine.

Pistol with the slide back on it (after it's initial dry off from a heavy rain storm I was just soaked down by).

Been checking the instant on/shake awake feature.  I remove it from the holster, set it on the shelf in the cabinet with the lens so I can see the red dot.  Every now and then I walk out there, open the cabinet door and look through the lens to make sure it's dark (it always is) and then I grab it so watch the red dot come on (it does.)

Gotta get back to the range.  Got some practice ammo loaded up (125 grain coated lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. with Red Dot powder) to try out in it.  As well as some factory FMJ and the 115 grain HPs the other CZ 9MM pistol like so well.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 05:39:43 PM by M1A4ME »

Offline Rooies13

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 04:27:18 AM »
Sorry, running late on pictures I promised.

Slide off the frame and Holosun off the slide while I was checking the battery door and replacing the battery after that first range trip.

Milled for red dot, rear sight, new back up sights installed and melonite coated (treated) by DP Custom Works down in NC.

Front sight.

Rear sight in front of the red dot and the Holosun.  He told me he could also mill it so the rear sight was behind the red dot but I wanted to keep it consistent with my P07 .40 and P09 9MM done several rears ago by Primary Machine.

Pistol with the slide back on it (after it's initial dry off from a heavy rain storm I was just soaked down by).

Been checking the instant on/shake awake feature.  I remove it from the holster, set it on the shelf in the cabinet with the lens so I can see the red dot.  Every now and then I walk out there, open the cabinet door and look through the lens to make sure it's dark (it always is) and then I grab it so watch the red dot come on (it does.)

Gotta get back to the range.  Got some practice ammo loaded up (125 grain coated lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. with Red Dot powder) to try out in it.  As well as some factory FMJ and the 115 grain HPs the other CZ 9MM pistol like so well.

Looking really nice M1A4ME

Offline em44052

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »
@M1A4ME I know it has been a while since you posted on DG Custom Works, but did you have to strip your slide before sending off?

anything