Author Topic: barrel to reciever fitment problems  (Read 263 times)

Offline jmlloar

barrel to reciever fitment problems
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
Just received my new reciever from assault  weapons of oh
Trying to test  fit the barrel and am having issues.

my question is without the half moon piece above the barrel installed I can fully insert the barrel by hand. it is tight but not hard to do. This seams a little loose to me???

Also with half moon key installed it sits into the bore of reciever a few thousandths and won't let the barrel push in. When installed in the old piece of reciever it sets a few thousandths below the surface and as such causes no interference when installing the barrel.

So is it fixable or should I get a different reciever?  I'm thinking bore for barrel is to large and notch for half moon is not deep enough.

Offline RSR

Re: barrel to reciever fitment problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 01:20:19 AM »
The half moon is the piston's forward stop.

My understanding is that your barrel to receiver fit should require a press to install, not hand fit.

You'll want to check all dimensions with calipers for comparison.  Also confirm w/ AWO what barrel dimensions their receiver is made for.  Varying shank dimensions between OE and US-made barrels.

There are some previous build and barrel press threads/posts on here if you search via google.

Offline jmlloar

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »
I was figuring that the barrel fit is to loose. Should be able to cure that with some shim stock pressed in with the barrel. or some loctite to keep it secure.

My kit is one I purchased around 2005. Its been on my shelf since then. My main concern is getting past the half moon. best I can tell the notch for it just wasn't cut deep enough.

Will be talking to them first of the week about more details on it. Just trying to get as much info as possible BEFORE I call them.

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 01:46:00 AM »
They used to sell barrel press and headspacing tools IIRC.  Let us know what you find out.

Offline jmlloar

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:41:48 AM »
Who is they?

Offline RSR

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
AWO/ORF.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
I was figuring that the barrel fit is to loose. Should be able to cure that with some shim stock pressed in with the barrel. or some Loctite to keep it secure.

IMHO, I believe you figured wrong. The forces are tremendous, and you certainly don't want the barrel flying off forwards, or walking backwards, reducing the head space, and then firing OOB. This is why most barrels are screwed into place.

Additionally, all the LocTite products I know of are released by heat.

I'd call AWO and ask. It can't hurt. But once you gubber it up with home remedies, that's going to be their "get out of jail free card". All warranties and good faith expire at that point.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline jmlloar

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:20:52 PM »
Adding shim stock to tighten up the clearance  is not a 'home remedy " .
Its common practice in machine work. It simply adds the extra material to make it fit at the proper interference fit. I already stated its to loose of a fit as is. If I need 0.005 tighter then a simple piece of .0025 shim stock wrapped around the barrel once will give me an exact fit. Just an example since I haven't measured mine yet. but it will be just as tight "sleaved to the correct size"  as without. either way the end result is the same.

As for loctite. with green loctite You would start to lose the temper of your hardened part before it starts to come loose. and you get the reciever and barrel that hot when shooting you have other issues.

My biggest issue as stated was how tight it should be. And if the piston stop pocket was cut to shallow.

I think I have both answers.

anything