Author Topic: I have a head scratcher with my Canik C-100.  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Rmach

Re: I have a head scratcher with my Canik C-100.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
Did you try different magazine with the Speer ammo?

Sure did, I mentioned that in an earlier post.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
Update, went back to the range today with a new factory recoil spring and polished chamber.  I started out with 50rds of Blazer Brass with no problems and perfect ejection.  Then I loaded one mag with 10rds of Speer Lawman (same batch as before), and I had three failures to extract.  The 7rds that did eject were erratic, with two barely making it out. I stopped with the Speer Lawman and went to my next box of Blazer, and they ran perfectly, just like the first box of Blazer.

Since this problem cropped up with Speer Lawman, the American Eagle, Magtech and Blazer Brass all ran just fine, hundreds of rounds. The spent Speer cases, that didn't extract, did not have a burr on them and easily pulled out of the chamber, unlike the one case pictured in an earlier post.

I attached a pic of the failure to extract, each failure looked the same. I also took a pic of the spent case discoloration.  The darker powder burns are Speer, and the much lighter is Blazer brass.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »
It does sound like a weak Extractor Spring, though.

Were this my Pistol, I would install a Wolff Extra Power Cz75 Extractor Spring. 
Generally, I trim one Coil off to fit most Cz's and Cz Clones (Tanfoglio), but Cz97B Pistols get the whole thing.

That said, I have yet to install one on a Turkish made Cz Clone.
Measure the old Spring against the new one and take your best guess on trimming.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Rmach

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:51:54 PM »

Generally, I trim one Coil off to fit most Cz's and Cz Clones (Tanfoglio), but Cz97B Pistols get the whole thing.

Measure the old Spring against the new one and take your best guess on trimming.

Thanks for your opinion, but the other brands mentioned extracted just fine. If there was one hint of an extraction problem with the ammo that extracted fine, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the extractor and the spring.  At this point, I'm keeping a mental note that my C100 just doesn't like this batch of Speer Lawman.  In two weeks, I will re-qualify for my CCL with this C100.  I'll run the Blazer Brass that I fired today.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »

Rmach: Is that a slight dent/deformation on the edge of the left case where the darkest spot is? Also, have you tried measuring the OD of both cases to see if there may be excess expansion? It could just be my eyes but it almost looks like the case on the left is slightly out of shape.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »
I just measured the spent cases, and they are all .388 near the base and .380 at the shoulder, give or take .001.  There is no lip deformation that I can feel with a fingernail.

Offline flareside_ford

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 09:46:21 AM »
My theory is that the Speer ammo is under higher pressure while this round is trying to extract. That higher pressure is causing the case to be expanded and adhered to the walls of the chamber during the extraction cycle.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »
My theory is that the Speer ammo is under higher pressure while this round is trying to extract. That higher pressure is causing the case to be expanded and adhered to the walls of the chamber during the extraction cycle.

Interesting, I have a couple boxes of S&B which are more potent than the other three brands that ran fine.  I'll make a return trip to the range today and see how a box of S&B runs. 

Offline flareside_ford

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »

Interesting, I have a couple boxes of S&B which are more potent than the other three brands that ran fine.  I'll make a return trip to the range today and see how a box of S&B runs.

Powder makes a difference. To loads with the same velocity could have a different pressure depending on powder. Different powder burns at different speeds. That means that peak pressure is reached at different times which is why you could see the same velocity with different pressures.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 10:36:48 AM »

Let me...expand...on that theory. Bad pun, I know. Is it possible that batch of lawman cases have thinner than spec walls and are expanding excessively under high pressure like flareside_ford mentioned? Can you measure the thickness of the case walls between the different shells?
I’m just throwing something at the wall to see if it sticks.

Offline flareside_ford

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
Good point. I do feel like something is not right with the ammo. I wonder if it functions ok in another gun.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
The walls are .011-.012 on the Blazer and the Speer. I had a couple thousand rounds of this Speer ammo, and it ran fine in my CZs.  Based on the powder burn rates that were mentioned, I don't think I'll go back to the range and fire the S&B.

I know Speer target ammo supposed to replicate firing LE ammo which has some oomph.  However, I read several comments about heavy black discoloration on spent cases could be a sign of a weak powder charge, but not always.  The recoil did not feel any lighter on the Speer though.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »

This makes a lot of sense to me as well. It sure wont hurt anything to do it. probably will fix it and is what I'd do if this were my gun.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Rmach

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 07:14:17 PM »
I did go to the range today, and I ran 50rds of 124gr S&B first and then 100rds of 115gr Blazer Brass. Everything was going great until round 47 with the Blazer Brass.  The S&B ran perfect with great ejection distance, and the Blazer Brass ran fine with shorter ejection distance, except for that one round.  After having a failure to extract on round 47 of the Blazer Brass, I decided to run another box which ran just fine. Altogether, there was one failure to extract, same as in the picture.  The more I think about it, I can't totally rule out that my left thumb might have been lightly touching the slide.

I have about 4000rds fired through this gun, and I have never removed the extractor.  It holds an unfired round very firmly, and vigorous shaking  with not dislodge it.  Will an extra power extractor spring make this C100 run anything at 100%, or will it cause other problems? Here's a cut and paste from CZ Custom about using an extra power extractor spring:  Extra power extractor springs are available for the CZ-75/85 series pistols - all calibers. 25% stronger than factory springs. We have never found it necessary to use these in 9mm pistols and often result in feeding malfunctions.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »

I'm ordering the extra power extractor spring. It's under $7 delivered, so why not try it.  Thanks for the help, and I thank the others that replied.