Author Topic: I’ve just about had it with these ammo prices!!!  (Read 22568 times)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: I’ve just about had it with these ammo prices!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
I’m literally selling guns to buy 300 blackout target and self defense ammo! >:(

Probably not a good idea, as you might invariably sell something you will later wish you hadn't.  My advice is to wait out the "storm" as best you can. 
Conserve what ammunition you do have on stock and stay away from the Ammunition scalpers.
Get an "O" Ring and do some dry fire training.

As for myself, I've been stocking up for a long long time for just such historical events. and I still reload.
My last practice session, last Saturday, expended 30 rounds of .22LR and 50 rounds of my 9mm Reloads.
Those 50 rounds of 9mm Reloads were expended over three different 9mm Pistols.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 10:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the videos JWC. I’ve been hitting the local Academy early every chance I get. It would make you sick to your stomach if you knew what I just paid for 400 rounds of mixed Hornady 300 blackout HD/SD.  :-[ Which is why I’m sacrificing some pistols. I know it’s gonna hurt later too.

I don’t wanna sound all dramatic or anything but, I gotta admit, the current climate of unrest and division has me worried enough to make the decisions I am right now. I’ve never really been the type to worry too much about a little unrest but what’s going on right now just feels different, to me at least. The sheer lack of respect and concern for others, especially law enforcement/first responders/military, that we’ve seen lately is unnerving. I guess right now I’m trying to live by “Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.” I’m hoping and praying for NOT needing it.

I can guarantee one thing, I’ll never let myself get caught with my pants down again when it comes to ammo. Lesson learned.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 04:43:58 AM »
I don’t wanna sound all dramatic or anything but, I gotta admit, the current climate of unrest and division has me worried enough to make the decisions I am right now. I’ve never really been the type to worry too much about a little unrest but what’s going on right now just feels different, to me at least. The sheer lack of respect and concern for others, especially law enforcement/first responders/military, that we’ve seen lately is unnerving.
I agree. There's a new breed of politician in our midst and they and their masses are being funded by persons and countries that hate the United States and every freedom we have. They are pulling out all the stops this time to destroy us. I'd like to believe things will return to normal but at this stage I just don't see it happening. Get what you can when you can and be ready. I'm afraid there's much more to come.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:15 AM »
That's capitalism, baby! 8)
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
EUREKA!!! Academy opened at 9am this morning and I was in line at 8:20am. I was able to score 500 rounds of Federal 300 Blackout FMJ and 450 rounds of some 9mm FMJ. I grabbed only some of the 300blk at first and nobody else seemed to want any. Academy was only limiting 9mm & .223/5.56 so I bought it all. “I gotta say it was a good day.”  8)

Offline coffeecoloredcatfish

• Yo.....
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »
If I didn’t have a decent reserve of 9mm target ammo, it would be cheaper to shoot my 10mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, it’s crazy to think 9mm is more than 10mm.

Came across someone trying to sell me 50 ct Magtech ball for $60! It's outrageous...

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 12:23:58 PM »
Came across someone trying to sell me 50 ct Magtech ball for $60! It's outrageous...

Did you tell him where he can stick it?!...O0

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
That's capitalism, baby! 8)

Yes it is.
A wise shooter told me not being able to afford a guns or bullets is way better than not being allowed to have any of them.
True bullets were cheaper a short time ago. You also didn't have to wear a mask and watch NFL players kneel for our anthem. Crazy times.
Primers are my acheilia's heal now. 

The market will be what people will pay. If you wont pay that price, then you will either be without or always looking for someone who doesn't know what the market is and take advantage of them.

It is my experience that value is not always a reflection of production cost, it is a reflection of replacement cost. If the market shifts back and some store has a an order arrive they paid the 50 bucks a box rate for would you pay them 50 when the price is now 15  because they bought them when it was 50 bucks or would you expect them to be at the market price. Cake and eat it hardly ever happens.

GD80...Selling guns to buy bullets?
I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even consider it.
Good news is, Now you are set for a little while. Next time you sell something to buy bullets - PM me. I am always looking for a good deal on guns.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 05:41:33 PM »
Good news is, Now you are set for a little while. Next time you sell something to buy bullets - PM me. I am always looking for a good deal on guns.

RCG
Fortunately I’m in no shortage of guns. 8) I can sacrifice a few and get them again later. I may post them here if they don’t sell locally soon.

As for professional sports, they lost me when my Texans refused to even show their faces for our National Anthem. I support equality for ALL but not disdain for our Country. I may go back to watching UFC fights. Dana White doesn’t seem to be putting up with the BS.

Ron M.

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 06:04:38 PM »

RCG
Fortunately I’m in no shortage of guns. 8) I can sacrifice a few and get them again later. I may post them here if they don’t sell locally soon.

As for professional sports, they lost me when my Texans refused to even show their faces for our National Anthem. I support equality for ALL but not disdain for our Country. I may go back to watching UFC fights. Dana White doesn’t seem to be putting up with the BS.

Gave up on the NBA years ago, NFL a few years ago, and now MLB. More time for fishing and hunting so not a loss in my book. The redfish wanted to die Sunday morning, 2 nice 25/26 inch reds plus caught and released 5 more over 20, 10 or 12 trout released too. The boss lady caught 3 nice flounder and 10 trout. Pan sauteed flounder with a mixed green salad for dinner this evening.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
Gave up on the NBA years ago, NFL a few years ago, and now MLB. More time for fishing and hunting so not a loss in my book. The redfish wanted to die Sunday morning, 2 nice 25/26 inch reds plus caught and released 5 more over 20, 10 or 12 trout released too. The boss lady caught 3 nice flounder and 10 trout. Pan sauteed flounder with a mixed green salad for dinner this evening.

FISH FRY AT RON M’s HOUSE!!! :D

Offline RSR

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 04:19:06 AM »
I’m literally selling guns to buy 300 blackout target and self defense ammo! >:(

Probably not a good idea, as you might invariably sell something you will later wish you hadn't.  My advice is to wait out the "storm" as best you can. 
Conserve what ammunition you do have on stock and stay away from the Ammunition scalpers.
Get an "O" Ring and do some dry fire training.

As for myself, I've been stocking up for a long long time for just such historical events. and I still reload.
My last practice session, last Saturday, expended 30 rounds of .22LR and 50 rounds of my 9mm Reloads.
Those 50 rounds of 9mm Reloads were expended over three different 9mm Pistols.

It's not scalping to sell at market rates -- it's basic economics. 
Ammo retailers were selling at loss for the better part of at least 2 years preceding this current run with ammo prices at historical lows -- SG Ammos biweekly sales emails repeatedly detailed.  This whole thing has been a classic ant vs grasshopper scenario.

That's why I've been parting with very limited ammo that I really don't want to sell to help alleviate some of the crunch as I know a lot of folks have little to no ammo on hand in these trying times -- and b/c so little is available, it's driving prices even higher.  By those of us with ample squirreled away selling, it helps to lower prices, not raise them.

*To be clear, I haven't bought any ammo in the past 6 months, so not flipping, which I agree is a problem right now.  Just like it was 2012-2014 when the retired set would buy all the ammo each morning and then resell at gun shows and on gunbroker as supplemental income...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:32:34 AM by RSR »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »
I stopped at Academy last week for something other than ammo. Most of the guys in line were retirees with their wives so they could buy double. All talking about the lines and limits at various stores around town. Flippers not shooters. I'm stocked with components but continue to buy 22lr for Steel Challenge. Good thing I was wearing a mask so they couldn't see the look on my face.

Offline em44052

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
dont know if you have any 22LR,

but when things settle down you may want to consider a 22.   And then load up on some ammo.

I agree! I am shooting 22 LR almost exclusively right now. I bought several cases of 9mm ammo when it was $180 per 1000, but I am being very stingy when shooting the 9mm. All I can think of is the replacement cost will be $.40 to $.60 a round.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 08:13:02 AM »
I'm worried about 22lr to be honest.  I think we'll see other calibers come back.  The manufacturers have to be ramping back up, and I'm guessing they are sucking up all the primers.
The last crisis, the other calibers came back more quickly than 22lr.  It seemed forever before that got back to normal.