Author Topic: I’ve just about had it with these ammo prices!!!  (Read 22583 times)

Offline Gunnerdad80

Re: I’ve just about had it with these ammo prices!!!
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »
New shooters are just "getting a gun" to keep their family safe.  They'll take it to the range once or maybe take a basic shooters course and buy a couple doo-dads, but for the most part they aren't shooting their guns -- they're just safety blankets.

Nailed it. What worries me is that the amount of new gun owners could make things more dangerous.

you were a new gun owner once right?
being new doesn't make you irresponsible,
being irresponsible makes you irresponsible.

RCG

Oh for sure, I agree.

I didn't mean to imply that all new gun owners are irresponsible. It's just that there are quite bit more new gun owners and, let's face it, how many people take the time to learn their guns and practice shooting. Access to gun ranges, at least in my area, are a little pricey and some have closed.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »
Then consider reloading....

Read "Is Reloading For Me ?" in the Ammo & Handloading Forum stickies.

I mentioned previously that a friend of mine was gonna let me use his reloading equipment but I either couldn't find the supplies or the prices weren't worth it.

Either way, 'being prepared' does require some preparation on your part. It starts with buying quantities when prices are low so you'll have surplus on hand to coast through the lean times.

But here's the difference... When you stockpile ammo... you only only have that exact ammo. But when you stockpile components... you can load anything you want. For instance, with my 0.356" bullets I can load for 9x17, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, or 38Super cartridges. And I can load them for soft plinking or as hot as I like.

In other words, you have more flexibility and thus shooting options.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline RSR

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2020, 12:28:27 AM »
New shooters are just "getting a gun" to keep their family safe.  They'll take it to the range once or maybe take a basic shooters course and buy a couple doo-dads, but for the most part they aren't shooting their guns -- they're just safety blankets.

Nailed it. What worries me is that the amount of new gun owners could make things more dangerous.

you were a new gun owner once right?
being new doesn't make you irresponsible,
being irresponsible makes you irresponsible.

RCG

+1.  In order to protect and restore our firearm freedoms, we need more gun owners not less.  If you know any new firearm owners, do your best to mentor them in how to do so safely and responsibly.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »
Took a new shooter out last week. He snagged a close out deal at Bass Pro on a Beretta APX. Great gun for $350ish. He was driving all over town looking for ammo and paying outrageous prices. Showed up with high dollar HD ammo just to learn to shoot! Tossed him a box of FMJ and saved the good stuff. Let him shoot a few mags with the a Scorpion. Oh, he is hooked!

FYI the APX was a nice handling gun once I realized the break on the trigger was 7ish??? pounds. I thought the safety was on!
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:26 AM »
+1.  In order to protect and restore our firearm freedoms, we need more gun owners not less.  If you know any new firearm owners, do your best to mentor them in how to do so safely and responsibly.

No doubt. My Aunt bought her first gun ever and she did her fingerprints yesterday to get her CCL. My mother and father-in-law bought their first pistols ever, he’s always had rifles and shotguns. So we’re all gonna make a range trip soon. My Aunt is really excited.  :)

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »
Unpopular opinion. I just dont buy ammo when its like this.  I always have a few K rounds set aside, but when the ammo gets scarce I just dial down shooting for recreation.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

bonj

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2020, 06:36:53 PM »
Unpopular opinion. I just dont buy ammo when its like this.  I always have a few K rounds set aside, but when the ammo gets scarce I just dial down shooting for recreation.
Wise advice.

Offline eastman

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2020, 07:46:57 PM »
The only thing which is both in stock at the online dealers and not priced ridiculously right now is Korean surplus .30 Carbine. Just ordered another 1080-round can.
I don't look like my avatar!

Ron M.

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2020, 08:04:09 PM »
The only thing which is both in stock at the online dealers and not priced ridiculously right now is Korean surplus .30 Carbine. Just ordered another 1080-round can.

I picked up a couple of cans myself. It's good stuff and my WWII and newer Auto Ordnance M1 carbines like it.

Offline RSR

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2020, 10:10:45 PM »

Skills are perishable.  Still need to shoot to train and stay sharp, even if not shooting "recreationally."

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2020, 11:20:13 AM »

Skills are perishable.  Still need to shoot to train and stay sharp, even if not shooting "recreationally."

There is never a substitution for the real thing. But dry fire and holster drills will keep the most important muscle memory active.  I am just one person, so I am not changing anything but if most people would calm down stop hoarding ammo like it will never be produced again then we wouldn't have an issue to begin with.  Truth is you have a lot of people stock piling tens of thousands of rounds of ammo and then continuing to stock pile and then flip it for a profit.

When it gets like this I turn to my boxes of .22 if I have to go shoot for fun or I dont shoot at all. I wont pay the prices any more.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline coffeecoloredcatfish

• Yo.....
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2020, 06:43:03 AM »
I'm shooting much less nowadays and am lucky that my dad taught me how to rathole ammo away. I swear, there were seldom times he would go to the stores and walk out without a box of ammo in his hand.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2020, 07:30:41 AM »
I'm shooting much less nowadays and am lucky that my dad taught me how to rathole ammo away. I swear, there were seldom times he would go to the stores and walk out without a box of ammo in his hand.

Your dad sounds like a smart guy. When ammo sales return to some semblance of normal I will be doing the same.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »

Your dad sounds like a smart guy. When ammo sales return to some semblance of normal I will be doing the same.
My Dad is the same, he says he has more than enough ammo for his remaining time on earth.  Of course,  he doesn't shoot a comparable volume to some of us here. He also has a wide assortment of calibers, many of them overlapping in application... something I try to keep to a minimum.

Offline The Principal

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »
If I didn’t have a decent reserve of 9mm target ammo, it would be cheaper to shoot my 10mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, it’s crazy to think 9mm is more than 10mm.
Both 5.56 and 10mm are cheaper than 9mm Luger right now from my vantage point. If I wasn’t shooting in an indoor range, the AR would be getting a lot more love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk