Author Topic: Body Armor  (Read 2604 times)

Offline larry8061

Body Armor
« on: September 19, 2020, 01:30:14 PM »
An item I wasn't aware of is that using metal plates all but requires padding behind the plate. A lot of the providers do offer that option and I don't know what they are using.  Obviously sorbothane is a well known an excellent energy absorbent. However there is a new kid on the block called ShockTec and is available in 3 formats and three thicknesses. The reason for all of this is a .223 or. Bigger shot in the heart area can stop your heart if it hasn't gone thru the plate first.

Offline RSR

Re: Body Armor
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 04:16:12 PM »
I don't see much use for steel plates as body armor.  But nonnewtonian pads behind soft armor also help too...  There's some newer level IIIa+ stuff that stops all non-AP FN 5.7, 7.62tok, and some other hot rounds that are traditionally a problem.   Fairly thick but lighter and easier to move around in than plates.

My theory on body armor is a bit like having the gun -- the best gun is the one you'll have with you.  Most folks won't regularly wear steel plates.

Also, this is why NIJ certified dyeema/polyethelene hard plates are thicker than the non-certified ones -- they have an internal pad to help mitigate backface deformation, which is part of NIJ certification.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
Full on Civil War breaks out folks will wear anything they can get their hands on. Anyone planning on participating better have something.  However, it is to the point like ammo now, pay the price and take what you can get.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 11:55:01 AM »
Good points!

For the spall......there are a number of bedlining  products that can be sprayed or brushed on, pretty cheap stuff and easy to apply.  Yes to the padding, a direct hit above the heart with a decent caliber can stop ones heart (not a good thing).  I managed to track down  ShockTec which is suppose to be better than Sorbothane (however you spell it)  The biggest issue is the quantity one has to buy.

Stay safe!

Larry

Offline larry8061

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:05 AM »
When it comes down to situations where REAL life is on the line (and particularly your own) I concur entirely...cutting corners is typically a bad idea.....oh wait can we do that over I need to add more padding is typically not an option.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
https://www.asafepack.com/body-armor-laws-by-state/

In case anyone ones to see the law regarding body armor in their state.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline huskyfever03

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »
dont cheap out on hard armor. it may work but unassing any bad situation in 15lbs of plates will wear on you fast..

Offline RSR

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 05:22:49 PM »
dont cheap out on hard armor. it may work but unassing any bad situation in 15lbs of plates will wear on you fast..

Strongly agree -- steel armor might work for say armor of last resort like those SKSes or PSA ARs some folks keep for anyone w/o (as armor for those folks you're giving cheapo but hopefully tested and proven reliable guns to).  But definitely get some 3+ multicurve synthetic plates in SAPI (or better yet shooters cut) and run with those on the regular. 

Beyond above, the only places steel plates make sense for me are a set or two to keep in your car (heat won't hurt and can mount in or outside vehicle front or behind or side you if you need to move through trouble and already have your lighter everyday armor on) AND use for permanently fortifying hard defensive positions in your home like under or beside windows, your bedroom hallway/doorway(s), etc.  Anywhere with moisture, you're ahead to use sand, dirt, stone, timbers, etc. 

I also think having a least one level 4 plate (non-steel) available is a good idea per member of your tribe if you have the budget, but quality and tested 4+ plates run ~10+ lbs so like steel get heavy fast.  And if you're encountering opposing forces with armor piercing projectiles (your 3+ should cover M855, so most scenarios) where you know you need level 4 armor, you might be better served to just withdraw or not enter the fight in the first place...  And a 3+ plate combined with a 3a or 3a+ soft armor backer should provide pretty close to level 4 protection and give you some additional margin of error if shot -- personally, large SAPI vests fit me best, which can run 11x14 plates, but I find 10x12 plates with 11x14 soft armor is best balance between protection and comfort for regular wear.
And before level 4 plates, I'd strongly recommend looking into night vision and flir, improved muzzle devices or suppressors that mitigate flash, small unit and ambush tactics training (above and beyond standard trigger pulling classes), quality camo that's NOT the crappy hunting stuff that's too dark to actually work (natural gear is one of few w/o that issue -- and new Kryptec Obscura Transitional looks promising as well -- and not really a multicam fan but it's more effective than most commercial hunting camos) etc, that make it MUCH less likely that you'll get shot in the first place.  Also look at adding abdominal armor, armored helmets, etc, before you get into level 4 plates.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:28:43 PM by RSR »

Offline Steepandcheap

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
I haven't tested this of course, but I have 3/4" closed cell foam behind my plates.  I also have some around the outside/front edge of the plate to stop spalling.

I'm not advocating using alibaba, and am only linking it to show what I'm talking about, but that is what mine looks like.  Other than the camo layer on the exterior side.  Mine was purchased at walmart supposedly used for a seat for turkey season.

Plus, there is some foam inside my carrier itself.

Like I said, I have no idea if this would work, but I figure it would try to displace at least some of the energy.

https://sportpioneer.en.alibaba.com/product/1891310461-50201869/seat_cushion_closed_cell_foam_seat_cushion_knee_saver_protect_garden_cushion.html

Have you tested the anti-spalling effect of that foam yet? I feel like that wouldn't be sufficient to stop a round from fragmenting right through the foam and into your neck/face...