Author Topic: I can hit the target..  (Read 1970 times)

Offline The Principal

I can hit the target..
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
....but that’s about it (pistol). Between my eyes and my poor grip/trigger technique, I have poor groupings away from my aim point. I used to shoot a rifle 20 years ago in the military, but only got into pistol shooting about 3-4 months ago due to Covid boredom. I know I have a lot to learn and am excited to put in the work. Thanks to all who post their great shooting; it’s been motivating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eagle-eye

Re: I can hit the target..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:45:02 PM »
Keep practicing and your skills will improve. Plus, it's fun.
I've found that growing up in the sixties was a lot more fun than being in my sixties.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:37:57 AM »
Buy a quality 22 rimfire pistol and 1000 rnds of ammo. Practice at 7 yards and develop a consistent grip and trigger pull. Then move the target out. Consider taking a one on one lesson. A good instructor will save you time and money in the long run. When you say “eyes” and mean you wear bifocals then consider a switch the a red dot sight. I am making the change and it is just a learning curve to adapt to.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
good luck, don't over think the thing.
Get a consistent grip and trigger press.
Then if you are not satisfied change one thing at a time.
if that works awesome keep it, if not switch back and change something else. Many will want to help you. Many will offer advice. Most really only want to help.
It doesn't all help you though. So get very comfortable with your grip and trigger press before you start to change. Then change one thing at a time.
You will get more confident and confidence tightens groups. Remember you should do what works for you. Others will tell you what works for them or what they saw on a video
that works for the likes of Ben Stoeger, or Max Michel. but you need to do what is safe and works for you.

Have fun get some ammo  be safe and be safe.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Europe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
good youtube videos will help you. Bob Vogel grip videos, old magpul stuff (Hailey/Costa), Jerry Miculek videos. A lot of dry fire practice helps. Dry fire at least 100-200 times a day, don't rush in, focus on the consistent trigger pull.

Offline The Principal

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback/suggestions. Much appreciated!

Offline voytek

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
I was learning how to shot pistol many years and still make mistakes. My mistakes are in two groups. 1-one i can correct, 2 - i can't correct. Example for 1 - I feel tired and i decide to drive and shoot. Example for 2 - i don't see well beyond 15 yards.
I took me about year to understand that I have t use my targets. So i don't buy targets, I print them home. Use common copy paper from Walmart, laser monochrome printer. I was changing template many times, my finals are:

If you want to try them, I will sent them as jpg to your email, i can't use PM - low number of posts
They are clean, monochromatic. In many situations variety of colors distracting you, and also variety of shapes, figures.
You can place them easily on the same level your eyes are.
Targets are small, shoot 5 rounds and change the paper. Stop use target big as table cloth. When you make 50 wholes nobody knows what is going on.
If you shoot off paper 8.5x11 for distance 7 yards is time to use support for your hands. The best is Core Pacific 12 inch Step Stool Black with White Dots from Walmart, and some towels, cushions. To make one level for your eyes, hands with pistol supported by steps-tool, and bullseye. Then you start to notice what is going on with your palms.
Use diagnostic pistol shooting target as advice what to correct during shooting
Control your eyes. Some people close eyes as reaction for shoot. Right-handed person suppose to aim with right eye. My better hand is the right one, but sometimes I notice that I use left eye to aim.
The list of shooting problems and issues is much longer. I didn't have any instructor. I bought firearms, which I don't use because I really don't like them. Nobody is perfect.

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 09:04:54 PM »
Over the last 10-20 years, the isosceles stance has replaced the Weaver for a lot of pistol shooters. Isosceles is a lot easier when you are cross-eye dominant (I'm right handed, but left eye dominant) since you just slide the pistol over by 3" or so to line up with the dominant eye.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
Buy a quality 22 rimfire pistol and 1000 rnds of ammo. Practice at 7 yards and develop a consistent grip and trigger pull. Then move the target out. Consider taking a one on one lesson. A good instructor will save you time and money in the long run. When you say “eyes” and mean you wear bifocals then consider a switch the a red dot sight. I am making the change and it is just a learning curve to adapt to.
I agree. I bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 at good price just before COVID-19 snuck up on us. My timing couldn't have been better with the ammo shortage. You can't find a lot of ammo at a fair price right now, but I've been able to get .22 ammo.
Buying an inexpensive ADE green dot for my Ruger was one of smarter things I've done. Man, that Ruger is fun to shoot now. The accuracy is amazing.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 12:08:19 AM »
AZ_CZ: "Consider taking a one on one lesson. A good instructor will save you time and money in the long run."

It is MUCH easier to LEARN good safe habits than it is to UNLEARN bad or even unsafe habits.  A good instructor can get you off to a good start.

Offline The Principal

I can hit the target..
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »
This is at 7 yards. My cajunized 75b makes me look better than I am, which is nothing to brag about.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
AZ_CZ:

It is MUCH easier to LEARN good safe habits than it is to UNLEARN bad or even unsafe habits.  A good instructor can get you off to a good start.

true words sir! sage advice.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline The Principal

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »
I have an astigmatism in my dominant eye that isn’t 100% correctable by lenses. The front sight can get blurry. I don’t think this is my main issue; mostly typical grip/trigger pull inconsistencies/errors.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »
The "take a one time lesson" is invaluable advice! Building "bad" habits/neural pathways is not the way to go.
GO SLOW!  Good luck!!

Offline The Principal

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »
I adjusted my grip and finger position on the trigger the last few times out. Groups are on target and getting tighter. Noticed some progress today at the range. Nothing to brag about, but today was a good day.