Author Topic: Short video, 200 yards, rifle, mountains of New Mexico  (Read 519 times)

Offline Joe L

Short video, 200 yards, rifle, mountains of New Mexico
« on: September 24, 2020, 07:57:18 AM »
This video is of the "good" day, Sunday, first attempt at shooting a 22 rifle at 200 yards. 

I was hoping to improve on these on Monday, but that didn't work out.  Video later today of the Monday results, along with some borescope results. 

This is fun.  This isn't easy. 

Joe

CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F

Offline Joe L

Re: Short video, 200 yards, rifle, mountains of New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 02:12:14 PM »
Here is the video of the Monday morning results.  Not as good as Sunday, so I got out the borescope to try to see why. 

If the local range opens up again, I will try it at 100 yards and see if the accuracy is back where it was a month ago. 

Joe

Offline GMork

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
I'm just curious:
How many inches is the point of impact with .22lr at 200 yards lower than at 100 yards when the rifle is zeroed in at 100 yards?
Or to put it another way: How many inches do you have to raise the riflescope compared to 100 yards?
CZ P07
Walther P5 compact
There's no bad weather, there's only bad clothing.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »
I dialed up 5 mils from an 800 ft ASL zero, so about 43" or so.  The turret adjusments may not be too accurate.  I normally start at 36-48" above a 25 yard zero with the 1100 fps 9mm pistols, and 100 yards is about 8", so 48-8 is 40, so 5 mil dial up is in the ballpark.  I have a zero scope base and pegged out at 6 mils.  I had just enough to cover 200 without holding high as well.  At 300 I will need a 20 moa scope base.  Not going to happen.  Maybe with the pistol. :) :) :)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »
Just got back from the 100 yard range and the rifle never settled down to the way it was a month ago.  First 30 rounds were 4" five shot groups, then, after 80 rounds or so, I had a few 1-1/2" groups, but that was it.  And the zero shifted.  The Savage barrel is just too rough to predict how it will shoot from one cleaning to another.  I'm going to run the borescope down it after I calm down some, but I am not going to clean it.  I'll shoot it again on Tuesday, if I still own it.  If it ever calms down, I'll shoot it until the groups open up again, and borescope it again then.  Then wear out 10 pellets in it to get it back down to bare metal and start all over.  That CZ MTR is looking good again.  Or a new barrel.  Something has to give. 

Joe

Offline GMork

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 12:46:59 PM »
Just one more question:

Do you or did you shoot stronger calibers at 200 yards as well, i.e. real hunting calibers. f.e. .30-06 or even stronger?

I am always interested in the results of such a shooting, as I have been using the .30-06 myself for over 30 years on the hunt, and for the past 12 years it has even been the only caliber for fox, roe deer, deer and boar.
Of course, frequent shooting at the range with such calibers is much more expensive if you are not a reloader.
CZ P07
Walther P5 compact

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »
GMork--I have a .308 Savage bolt action (law enforcement sniper rifle) that I have shot out to 547 yards on paper.  It has been excellent.  Very predictable, no cold bore or clean bore problems.  I would certainly like to try it out to 800 yards sometime on paper, but haven't had the opportunity.  There are some .308 videos on my YouTube channel.  Here is one. 

I also have one AR-15 in .223 that I have shot with iron sights out to 200 yards.  It, too, is very reliable and consistent. 

I don't consider myself to be much of an expert in shooting either one, but I've had some good results when I do get to shoot them.  I don't make videos of the bad days!!

Joe

Offline GMork

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 04:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the video. 
It's impressive when and how you shoot that far. 
But from the point of view of a certain death, which is less painful for the game, shooting at such a distance while hunting is irresponsible.  The danger of only wounding the game is far too great at such a distance. 
Now this is not a criticism of you, you are just shooting at a cardboard target for fun.  Shooting as a sniper in a justified war or during a crime is another thing too. 
The furthest distance I've ever shot while hunting - and only because the Polish guide encouraged me to do so - was 325 meters at a red deer in Poland.  The deer ran another 20 meters and then fell dead. That was in 1996.
Despite this success, I decided afterwards and kept it not to shoot that far on the hunt.  I don't shoot more than about 220 meters. 
Up to this distance it's since 2006  not a very big problem because of the rifle scope on my bolt-action rifle, a Zeiss Diarange 3-12x56, which I bought in 2006.  With this rifle scope you can measure the distance and then adjust the reticle accordingly, so that you can aim at the game as usual with the black or, if necessary, red-illuminated reticle.  But the Zeiss Diarange has not been manufactured for four years. 
Now I've shared some of my experiences, but you have much greater ones when shooting at long distances.  Although I have set myself a limit of 220 meters, as I said, I watch your videos with great interest.  It's nice to have heard about you and your videos  through this forum.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:10:31 AM by GMork »
CZ P07
Walther P5 compact

Offline Joe L

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:13:36 AM »
No disagreement here on the long range hunting distances.  A bench is a "controlled environment" where the rear rest and bag is critical, and I am generally rested, calm, cool, and collected.  I can probably shoot a pistol more accurately than a rifle standing unsupported!  I've never tried a pair of sticks or a tripod at the range, much less in the field. 
Joe

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »
After another frustrating 100 yard session with the little Savage on Tuesday, I finally located and purchased a CZ MTR today.  Not sure when it will be here.  Also ordered a 15 moa scope base. 

This afternoon, I spent over an hour running 10 abrasive VFG pellets through the Savage, followed by 20 soft patches to clean the junk out.  Borescope indicates all the carbon is gone but the surface is still rough, so I'm not sure how many rounds it will take before the accuracy tanks again.  I'll shoot it Thursday morning, maybe for the last time.   :) :)

Joe

Offline Joe L

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 11:20:05 AM »
Results were still poor this morning after 50 rounds.  I'm putting the Savage up and leaving it for the grand kids.  Scope and bipod will go on the new CZ MTR with a 15 moa rail.  Due in a couple of weeks.  Live and learn.
Joe

Offline Joe L

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
Here is a comparison borescope video of the Savage and MTR barrels.    My expectations for the Savage were just too high.  The CZ should be much better, if mine is anything like the one in the video. 

Joe

anything