Author Topic: Tangent vs Peep sights  (Read 2677 times)

Offline longarm

Tangent vs Peep sights
« on: September 27, 2020, 11:47:12 PM »
Which gives a better sight picture for aging eyes?

Which is better for hunting?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Tangent vs Peep sights
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
The smaller the aperture in the rear sight the sharper the image of the front sight post can be for you.  For peep sights I mean.

On my SIG 556R I use that aperture as my setting for the close up back up sight, not the v notch 100 yd. setting.  While sighting in the iron sights I noticed how sharp the front sight post looked through that small hole vs. the blurry looking image while trying to use the 100 yd. V notch.

As for hunting, I never used a peep sight for hunting.  It should work fine though.  I used to shoot the thumbtacks out of my shooting buddy's 25 yd. pistol targets with my old M52B and it had target sights on it (peep on the rear with a funny looking front side that used different inserts).  Thumbtack is quite a bit smaller than a squirrel or rabbits head.

On the other hand, neither my grandpa (WW1 veteran who carried an M1917 through France/Germany) nor my dad (Air Force through the early 50's to the mid 70's) like peep sights at all.  Their squirrel guns had the standard front sight blade and V notch in the rear sight.  They were big fans of head shots so they didn't mess up any meat.

Going back to the peep sights, if the sight can use them there's a guy who makes/sells lenses that fit into a peep sight (I've only used them in M1/M1A match sights) that can compensate for aging eyes.  Makes that front sight post stand out clear and clean like you were 20 again (if you had good eyes at 20, I mean).

B. Jones Sights.  Don't know if the peep sights available for the CZ rifles could benefit from those sight inserts or not.

http://www.bjonessights.com/index.html
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Hog Driver

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
I'm a huge fan of peep sights. I have them on my 30-30 and several 22s. Accurate enough for hunting to 100 yards and a lot faster than the tangent sights for my (60ish) eyes. Lyman used to make the best, but now there are several small outfits making some great sights. Skinner out of Montana is really classy but you pay for it. [/url]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:43:04 AM by Hog Driver »

Offline Peashooter67

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:26:25 PM »
That looks like an Henry receiver!
I was thinking of a peep/globe sight for my just purchased Henry .357/.38.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hog Driver

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 11:37:36 PM »
Skinner sight on a Marlin 336

Offline longarm

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 01:58:06 AM »
Thanks, fellas.
I notice when shooting this new-to-me  452 UL that the front sight post is clear enough... But the V notch in the Tangent rear sight is pretty darn fuzzy.
I wonder if a peep sight would help me in this specific situation.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:01:03 AM »
The rear sight will be fuzzy when actually shooting, as you will be focusing on the front sight, which should be nice and clear/sharp.

If you can keep that sharp/clear front sight where it needs to be in relation to the rear sight notch and target the bullet should go where you want it to go.

I've done very little squirrel hunting or target shooting with an open sight .22.  Only thing with open sights I regularly squirrel hunted with was my old Ruger Mk1 5.5" bull barrel pistol.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline david s

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »
With open sights your eye has to focus on three things at once. The rear sight the front sight and the target. The eye of course can only focus on one thing at a time so the front sight gets the attention. The peep sights advantage makes use of the eyes natural ability. The very center of a peep sight disk is the brightest, your eye is naturally drawn to the brightest part of the peep sight disk without any conscious effort on your part. That's why you dont make a conscious effort to center your eye in a peep sight the centering occurs naturally. Being your eye automatically centers in the rear peep this leave your eye with just the front sight and the target to deal with. A peep should help you out. Skinner makes a very nice peep for CZ rifles (no drilling and taping with the rimfire version) and Willams makes one also as shown on the lower rifle in the photo.                                                                                                                   

Offline longarm

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »
Very helpful, thank you. I like the idea of trying a peep that does not require altering the rifle (ie drill/tap) so may go with that Wilson pictured. The rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot and I do surprisingly well with the tangent sights. Just curious re the peeps.

Offline 10-96

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
I notice when shooting this new-to-me  452 UL that the front sight post is clear enough... But the V notch in the Tangent rear sight is pretty darn fuzzy.
I wonder if a peep sight would help me in this specific situation.
   Aging eyes bit me in the hiney too.  I can't see the notch in tangent rear sights at all any more.  Target peeps on the rear of receivers are starting to be a chore now for me too.  I haven't tried a ghost ring or peep that's mounted way up there where a tangent is, but I suspect that goes with eyesight as well.  My humble suggestion would be to check with Tech Sights to see if they have a rear sight or sight set that will move the peep to the rear of the receiver and closer to your eye.  The neat thing about those, is you can have the peeps opened up, and sometimes (as with Skinner Sights) buy peep inserts with larger peeps.  Good luck
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Offline wagwan

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »
Several companies make peep / aperture devices that stick on the lens of your shooting glasses. These work surprisingly well to see the iron sights - no gun mods required. You can test the theory with a 1/16 hole in a piece of electrical tape.  While these work great for the range, I’m not sure of their practicality for hunting?