Author Topic: Need help with a new CZ 527  (Read 659 times)

Offline Rsmith0399

Need help with a new CZ 527
« on: September 29, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
I have a new CZ 527 .223 rifle.  The scope is a new Viper 6.5-20x50.  I’m using Warne scope rings.  Everything is torqued to spec.  Barrel is 1-9 twist.
My problem is, I’m getting 4-6” groups at 100 yards indoors.  Same results with factory Speer or reloads.  Both 55gr.
I’m used to shooting .5-1” groups with my CZ .17 rifle.
The scope was a demo, but looked clean.  Is there anyway to tell if it’s the scope wandering around?

Update:  tried again today with a another scope.  Same thing.  So it’s not the scope.  Either the rifle or the scope rings.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:36:58 PM by Rsmith0399 »

Offline Diamond Jim

Re: Need help with a new CZ 527
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
Apologies if you've already considered this but if you have one available (e.g. on another rifle) I'd mount another scope to see if that is the issue. At 100m the rifle should be capable of putting all shots into an inch or so at least.

Offline Hog Driver

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:28:41 PM »
Agree with Diamond Jim. You have either 1) bad scope or 2) bad gun. A different scope or even iron sights will let you know which.

Offline david s

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 04:39:43 PM »
It's not unknown for a scope to be less than right fresh from the box. I purchased a Leupold 1-4X new still plastic wrapped from a local retailer and it had a number of dark specs inside it. Leupold like Vortex have good reputations for correcting what's wrong so if it's the scope aside from the hassle you should be covered. Try the Lux's open sights. It should be easy to beat 4"-6" groups at 100 yards even with the iron sights. If your groups are better with iron sights you have a pretty good idea where to begin fixing the grouping problem.

Offline Rsmith0399

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:25:31 PM »
I tried again today with another scope.  Same thing.
Started out good, then as the barrel got hotter, the groups got bigger.
Shot about 30 rounds.
I guess it’s just me.  I do pretty good with Rimfire.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:33:23 PM »
Check your action screws? Some times they can be loose and cause what youre describing. Admittedly you would think not on a new gun, but.....

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »
Is the barrel touching the stock? It could be there is a contact point that's putting pressure on the barrel as it heats up and changing the point of impact. If that is the case, a little sanding to relieve the contact may help or even loosening the action screws and re-centering the action in the stock before tightening them again. Try to slide a piece of paper or dollar bill between the stock and the barrel to see if there are any tight spots.

Offline Rsmith0399

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »
I remounted the scope.  Retorqued everything, and went back to the range.
This time I used one of those rubber bench blocks instead of my Harris bipod.
I was able to get my groups down to 1” at 100 yards using factory Speer Lawman 55gr ammo.
I’m happy with that.
I’m not able to load up the bipod on the indoor bench.  I believe the Harris bipod jumps around if not properly loaded.
I also paid more attention to holding the stock firmly and following through with each shot.
Thank everybody for your suggestions!

Offline PAOldGuy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 10:42:12 PM »
RSmith, glad to hear that you are doing better. I think as you get used to the rifle and get into shooting quality handloads you will be surprised with how accurate that rifle can be. I have a CZ527 in .204 Ruger with that exact scope and ring setup, and I can shoot 1/3 MOA groups most of the time (as long as it's not too windy!). Stock torque is very important. Interestingly, my 527 came from the factory with the stock screws barely more than finger-tight. I am running 45 in-lbs now, as that's what's needed to draw the mag box up high enough to provide reliable feeding from the magazine. Good luck with your new rifle, you made a wise choice!

Offline Rsmith0399

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »
Thanks!  I appreciate the info!

anything