Author Topic: TLR2 HL G or Baldr Pro?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Crow

TLR2 HL G or Baldr Pro?
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
Anyone have either or both? Looking for a way to justify the extra $250 for the Streamlight over the Olight. So far from what I can see, the Streamlight has some battery door issues, but the Olight is pretty limited on battery selection due to more commonly found CR123A's being too long for it. Has anyone put one of these on a steel frame CZ, more specifically an SP01? Any fitting issues? Lasers losing zero?

Offline jng1226

Re: TLR2 HL G or Baldr Pro?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »
I have both mounted on .45 ACP guns. The Streamlight has a build-quality/materials advantage. That said, the Baldr Pro has a noticeably brighter beam and holds zero. I think it's a personal decision and the price advantage of the Baldr Pro is too much to ignore. If it was Zombie Apocalypse and I could only bring one, it would be the Streamlight, but for every other use, including home defense the Olight is a great choice. I'd rather buy more ammo for the price difference and get more training in.

Regarding batteries, I'm not sure what you meant, they both use CR123A Lithium batteries.

Offline Crow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »
Regarding batteries, I'm not sure what you meant, they both use CR123A Lithium batteries.

Right, but sadly not all batteries are created equally. The Olight CR123A's and their short list of suggested brands are a slightly different length/thickness than most other brands, and there are reviews and reports in both the Olight and other gun/EDC groups that some of the more affordable CR123A's won't fit for one reason or another. I don't know how accurate this is which is sort of why I even brought it up, because stupidity, user error, and just general misinformation are prevalent these days.

I'd like to have that "one light to rule them all" but like, $385 for the Streamlight is a hard price to swallow since, like you said, the Olight does pretty much the same thing for 1/3 the price. I might just pick up the Olight now just to have something, then maybe pick up a Streamlight later down the road when I can justify/afford it.

How are you liking that FNX btw? It's at the top of my "to get" list for a suppressor ready .45

Offline jng1226

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 12:13:31 AM »
I didnt know about differing specs on CR123A batteries. I only use Energizer and they work perfectly.

The FNX-45 Tactical is simply awesome IMHO, especially if you are a fan of DA/SA guns and especially given the design is 10 years old. Even then it can be carried cocked and locked. The double action is OK but the single action on my gun is great. Not like a Cajunized CZ but surprisingly good for stock in comparison with as short a reset as the Cajun Omega SRT I have in my P-07.

I put a DPM recoil reducing guide rod assembly and with 230 gr loads it is a very soft "push" of .45 recoil. Gun is crazy accurate and reliable. It's my first FN and I'm impressed.

With all the threaded barrel options and tall sights, almost any gun can be made suppressor ready now.

Offline dwhite

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »
I tend to agree with jng1226's comments. Streamlights generally have better build quality; but the features and cost of the Olight are compelling. For anything short of duty use, I'd stick with the Olight.

I've got the Baldr Pro on my steel framed full sized SP01 and like it a lot. Fit is perfect.

I've used Olight and Panasonic CR123As in the Olight with no problems. Olight does not recommend any RCR123A batteries. The RCR123A's are rechargeable and have a higher voltage. I'm guessing the the higher voltage might cause the Olight to overheat.

Offline Crow

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »
Ah that makes more sense. I'm not a fan of rechargeable batteries anyways.

Offline huskyfever03

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
tlr all day! never owned an olight weapon mount but the streamlights are solid as can be

Offline coffeecoloredcatfish

• Yo.....
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 04:31:53 AM »
Always been a Streamlight man myself.

Offline Kayin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
Streamlight needs to invest in better rail mounting systems.  Not saying they are hard to put on, but the Olight mounting system is just very innovative and makes removing it for non-light bearing holsters less of an annoyance.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
I don't own either of these particular light / laser combos, but I have owned both Streamlight and Olight weapon-mounted lights.

Streamlight is going to provide you with better off-the-shelf or quick-ship holster availability from holster manufacturers.  I like Olight's QD lever system, but being able to choose from a wider variety of light-bearing holsters might help alleviate the need to remove the light so often in the first place.

Because of this holster issue, it makes a difference how and where you plan to use the gun.  If for example you are using it only for home defense and transporting it to the range, then you don't need an IWB holster that fits your light.  If you are planning to concealed carry it, then you will be thinking about getting a good holster that is comfortable and conceals well with the light, and/or you will be removing the light regularly to put your gun in a regular holster.  In my case, I do both.  I will carry in a light-bearing IWB when I am traveling or if I am out at night.  Around my local area during the day, I remove the light and carry in a smaller and more comfortable IWB holster.  I'm talking about carrying a P-07 and comparing between the PL-Mini 2 and TLR-7 so all of these things are smaller and lighter than a SP-01 with a full-sized light / laser combo, but the holster support issues are pretty similar.  The TLR-2 is going to have a lot more holster support than the Baldr Pro.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 07:47:05 PM »
Streamlight needs to invest in better rail mounting systems.  Not saying they are hard to put on, but the Olight mounting system is just very innovative and makes removing it for non-light bearing holsters less of an annoyance.

I would agree. Between Streamlight and Olight, I tend to prefer to former. But the quick release option on the Olights is really nice when I'm doing dual-duty with my daily carry and using it as a nightstand gun. I can throw the light on or take it off in a second without having to hunt around for a screwdriver. And I don't find it any less secure.

Offline Kayin

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »

I would agree. Between Streamlight and Olight, I tend to prefer to former. But the quick release option on the Olights is really nice when I'm doing dual-duty with my daily carry and using it as a nightstand gun. I can throw the light on or take it off in a second without having to hunt around for a screwdriver. And I don't find it any less secure.

I may be a little biased because I stupidly bought a TLR 4G because it was affordable, but discovered mounting it sucked and there was very few holsters that supported it.  So all I can say with the Streamlights is make sure you get one with the most holster support (which is the TLR 1 variants and the newer 7s and 8s.)

anything