Author Topic: Small Schooler want to shoot IDPA SSP  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Thinman1911

Small Schooler want to shoot IDPA SSP
« on: October 08, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
Want to shoot IDPA SSP Division with a CZ pistol.  Went to a small school, so need a little help understanding how IDPA rules apply.  Appears the 43.0 oz weight restriction takes out the Shadow 2. 

A great trigger is very important to me, so what CZ pistols don't have the firing pin block safety and are IDPA SSP approved? 

Offline larry8061

Re: Small Schooler want to shoot IDPA SSP
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
Your email is a bit broad..........you need to be a bit more specific.  The IDPA rules are posted on the net.

Offline 1KPerDay

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
You can do whatever internal polishing/upgrading/trigger work you want for SSP as long as it isn't externally visible. You can't trade out the hammer or trigger itself unless it's available like that from the factory.

For starting out... pick your favorite SSP legal pistol and go shoot. You're not going to win either way so you may as well have fun and learn. Which gun you use has VERY LITTLE to do with how successful you will be. IMO

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »
For no fpb, your choices would be a Shadow 1, a Pre-B 75/85, or an 85 Combat.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
You can do whatever internal polishing/upgrading/trigger work you want for SSP as long as it isn't externally visible. You can't trade out the hammer or trigger itself unless it's available like that from the factory.

For starting out... pick your favorite SSP legal pistol and go shoot. You're not going to win either way so you may as well have fun and learn. Which gun you use has VERY LITTLE to do with how successful you will be. IMO

"You're not going to win either way so you may as well have fun and learn".  I'm not sure it can be put any better than that.  Between years of previous experience, and the willingness to put 2,500 rounds either actually, dry firing, or simulation thru a gun a week......nope, new person does not equal winning.

Have fun and learn? How novel is that! LOL

Offline TrackRider54

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:28 AM »
I agree completely. You can't buy a win in IDPA. No matter how good your equipment is, you are going to be held back by your own ability unless you train and practice extensively. I know guys who have ranges on their property and reload their ammo to shoot in a gun tuned for the specific way they load it. They shoot thousands of rounds per month.

For me, I pick a gun that I enjoy shooting. That feels good in my hands. I shoot IDPA for fun, but it's also good training for practical use. I'm not looking for trophies and awards, I just want to have fun with a group of like minded individuals.

I've had people say, "I don't like DA/SA guns because the first trigger pull is so long and heavy". Unless you're competing at a master level, one shot per stage won't destroy your score (unless it's a hit on a non-threat or a complete miss). You should be able to go zero or 1 down easily unless it's a long first shot...in which can you can cock the hammer on your draw. It's not hard, just practice it.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
thinman1911--I shot IDPA SSP and later ESP for a few years but used Sig DA/SA pistols before I got a CZ. 

I can only add that a perfectly acceptable trigger for IDPA can be had WITH the firing pin safety block models.  I've shot bullseye also, where there is a lot of time between shots, and I can barely feel the difference between a CZ with and without a firing pin safety block.  I don't think you will notice it at IDPA shooting speeds. 

Not only that, but I actually prefer having the FPSB in a run and gun match pistol, just for safety reasons, especially when I was learning.  Folks trip and fall, drop the gun, lots of instances where the firing pin safety block was a welcome safeguard.  Not nearly as likely to be needed in a slow, stationary match like bullseye. 

And a reminder, that you are already aware of based on your question, you cannot remove or defeat a safety device from a gun that had one originally. 

If I were to go shoot IDPA SSP next weekend, I would pick a P-10C now over my old P226 Sig, I think.   Handles perfectly, trigger feels the same from shot to shot, fits me well, reliable, accurate.   And I would have very few down points, but would be so slow that I would finish in the lower third of a 100 shooters in a local match.  And it would take me 10k rounds to just barely get back in to the top 1/3, which is about as good as I could ever do.  Too many young guns out there who shoot well, can move well, and practice lots.   But I wold have had a good time!

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 07:39:16 PM »

If I were to go shoot IDPA SSP next weekend, I would pick a P-10C now over my old P226 Sig, I think.   Handles perfectly, trigger feels the same from shot to shot, fits me well, reliable, accurate. 

I agree with Joe.  In fact I am doing just that this weekend at the WA State IDPA Championship.  Last year I shot my SP01 T and had a hoot, this year I thought I give my P10C a run. It’s been perfect every match, as long as I do my job.

Will report back, but suspect my scores won’t be stellar- am working the match and the temps are forecasted to be over 100……..
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 11:43:50 PM »
We had our staff match today, started off well, then had some fumbles that impacted my score. It was very hot today and I am sure that contributed to my degrading performance.  Did have what appeared to be mag related problems, but could not be sure.  Will see what I can ascertain.

Regardless the gun did what I asked of it; I am very happy with it.  Thinking I’ll shoot my 75 B next season, but we’ll see.  Might go with my SIG 320 C with an optic…..

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
Scores came out yesterday- came out 5th in my division/ class, so feel pretty good about my performance given the temps and working the match.

Fun time & good group of fellow shooters.

anything