Author Topic: Bought a CZ 712 Utility---fear it was a mistake and mag extension?  (Read 7496 times)

Offline wild cat mccane

Hey all,

I got excited by the set up of the 712 G2 Utility. Semi auto, ribbed, and shorter barrel with chokes. I purchased without research too much. It appears there is almost zero conversation about it online. That worries me. Greatly.

Is the 712 G2 a good purchase? I mean, I had to come to the CZ forum to ask because people just don't discuss it elsewhere. To be frank, this section doesn't seem all that active either.

Finally, are tube extensions possible with the Utility? If so, is there a how to? I found one thread discussing, but a consensus wasn't reached and no pictures provided.

Thank you!

Offline alp3367

Re: Bought a CZ 712 Utility---fear it was a mistake and mag extension?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
  They're a fine gun. A Guinness world record was set with one. As with any gas operated gun it needs a bit more cleaning than an inertia gun, but that goes for any manufacturers gas gun. I know Nordic Components makes a tube extension, there are probably others. As far as a how-to, that sort of stuff is almost always super simple. Unscrew cap and replace with new tube and usually spring.

Offline CZ 712 G2 New User

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »
Under the CZ 712 G2 magazine tube cap is the spring retainer that has two tabs. What is best method to remove so I can add a tube extender?  I have tried to squeeze both tabs at same time and have yet been able to remove. Would appreciate hint from someone that has succeeded.

Offline frgood

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »
I have to admit I put my Nordic Component MXT extension on my 712 quite a few years ago. I believe you are correct working with the two tabs tow remove the magazine spring retainer.
This video shows a similarly designed model.

https://youtu.be/r8d8-G24dxE?t=28
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline Shotgunfun

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »
I got a CZ712 G2 also and I purchase from Midway USA a Carlson's magazine tube extension that was marked for the CZ 712. But when to install it, the threads wouldn't match up so I had to return it. Now I am on the hunt again to find one that fits. I like the shotgun but if I cannot find any upgrades for it I am going to either sell it or trade it for a Mossberg.

Offline bulldogranger

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »
Thought I'd add to an old thread...I just purchased a 712 Utility and now thinking the same thing - the lack of aftermarket support is making me uneasy.  I too just purchased the Carlson tube extender that was claimed fit the 712.  Still waiting on it to show up.  Hopefully changes have been made and it will fit.  May have to find someone locally to make one - way too many people in the Detroit area love making stuff with their new(er) 3D printers.

Offline Slingin9mm

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »
I ended up getting the Nordic +5 extension for it and that worked for me.

Offline bulldogranger

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 05:19:55 PM »
The Carlson's extension tube came in a fit perfect.  Slightly longer than the barrel but looks great.

anything