Author Topic: My 1986 Pre-B Thumb Safety is Really Stiff  (Read 314 times)

Offline Greekfed

My 1986 Pre-B Thumb Safety is Really Stiff
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
The thumb safety on my 1986 Pre-B CZ-75, S/N 1545xx, is VERY STIFF!

So much so that it has become a range gun because I'm not comfortable carrying it.

I would appreciate any guidance as to a possible cure.

Thanks!

Greekfed

Offline greystonedog

Re: My 1986 Pre-B Thumb Safety is Really Stiff
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »
Do you think it’s all original safety parts ,sear and hammer? I doubt if it’s the safety detent or it’s little spring.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 07:15:28 PM »
You can remove the slide and lay it on the bench, table, soft cloth and then observe the interaction of the safety with the sear arm on the front of the sear.

There is a cam on the left side sear shaft that has to rotate under that forward arm on the left side of the sear cage.  Take a look at it and see if it hangs/drags when rotating into the SAFE position.

Green arrow points at the forward arm on the sear cage and the red arrow points at the cam on the safety shaft.  Move the safety from FIRE to SAFE and watch/feel for dragging/contact.

I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Greekfed

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »
Thanks for your replies, gents!

Yes, all the parts are OEM.

I looked at the safety with the slide removed and the Safety Shaft Cam seems to be the problem.  It takes two men and a boy to engage the safety and it's just a little easier to take it off!

What do I do now?  Remove the safety and stone/buff the cam some?  Push the safety on and off a thousand times while watching TV?  Replace the Safety?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 02:48:25 AM »
Sears are available,safety parts for the pre b are not. So disassemble and remove a VERY LITTLE metal from the bottom of the forward left arm of the sear using emery paper. Do not mess with the safety. This is a common procedure for fitting a safety when a competition hammer is installed. It is documented in detail here on the forum. Disassembly is tricky first time,but there are plenty of videos,be careful removing safety not to loose detent and spring.

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 02:58:10 AM »
I suspect some previous sear or hammer notch polishing was done to cause this problem.So you may want to consider replacing the sear, from CGW or CZ custom. Pre b hammers for 86 wide profile not available so need to make yours work

Offline Greekfed

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 09:03:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents!
I’ll have to watch a few videos before I attempt to disassemble it for the first time!
To answer both of you, this gun has never been abused or (probably) even disassembled before. 
If I were to sell it (no I’m not) I could honestly claim it as LNIB!  I’m not even sure it’s ever been fired!
Thanks again!

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 06:24:30 AM »
Considering it’s condition and having the box, don’t mess with it. If you haven’t already flood the safety and sear area with an oil like break free and work the safety. Would not do any more.  DWJ imports have excellent pre b guns  on Gunbroker ,buy one of them to carry and shoot, keep yours as a collecror/investment

Offline double-d

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
DWJ imports have excellent pre b guns on Gunbroker

Not that I have found

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
I would take it apart (remove safety and sear cage) to clean/lube and check the parts (be sure to capture the spring & detent plate before removal of the safety). Re-assemble and try safety again.
There are several threads in the forum (and videos) how to do the teardown.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 09:58:00 AM »
DWJ imports have excellent pre b guns on Gunbroker

Yeah he usually has a great selection of PreB’s and others but you gotta jump on it because they don’t last. He great about hiding import marks too, when possible, which is a dealbreaker for me from other importers. I’ve purchased several guns from him and I keep DWJimports saved in my search history.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
Greekfed,

I wonder if you could also be having issues with the safety detent itself too. The pointed end of the detent could be a little steep and may not be lubricated properly causing it to be really stiff. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out, shouldn’t be too hard of a fix.

anything