Author Topic: 11/2/20 - finally made it to the range after months and months  (Read 351 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
11/2/20 - finally made it to the range after months and months
« on: November 02, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »
Had four things to do today.  Sight in the Holosun 507C (think it's a C) and iron sights on the P07 9MM.  Check functioning on the big XD .45 Tactical (several failures to fire several months back on my last range trip).  Check functioning on the M&P .40 (several failures to fire several months back on my last range trip.)  Sight in the green laser on my wife's M&P 9MM.  Oh, and shoot that last AR15 I built back in late winter and sight in the new PA advanced red dot on it.

Started with the P07.  Shot a total of 15 shots in 3 shot groups working the red dot right and up across the paper.  Got it where I wanted it (shooting from a rest, I don't normally do that but I was shaking like a leaf - should have eaten lunch today as breakfast was about 6 hrs. earlier) and got read to shoot a 5 shot or 10 shot group with the 115 grain hollow points my CZ's seem to really shoot and all the sudden the dot went out.  Darn.  Brand new.  No amount of pressing the "brighter button" would turn it on or make it brighter.  My luck.  I laid it on the bench (it was empty) and shot the big XD.  Before I go to the XD let me say that I picked the P07 up again later and looking at the ground in front of the firing line the red dot WITH the circle was on and I could see it.  No amount of pressing the brighter or dimmer buttons fazed it.  Pressed the off button and it didn't go off.  Gave up on it.

Range/firing line is under a roof, no sun.  Target line is in the sun, nice and bright.  Brought it home, grabbed the instructions and new battery (hey, grasping at straws right then.)  Sat down at the bench in the shed, opened the instructions (which I'd left at home in the box) and fiddled with it and found out that it had changed reticles and gone into auto mode on that 15th shot.  No idea why.  No way any finger/hand part touched that sight up there on top of the slide.  Anyway, it was working fine and the red dot is sighted in.  Firing position/bench is shaded, target line is bright/sunlit - auto is reading the light where the sight is (shaded) and adjusting the reticle brightness - which is then way to dim to show up on a brightly lit target.

I'm happier now than I was then.

The M&P went through 20 rounds of Federal and Winchester (10 each) 180 grain fmj with 100% function and lousy group sizes at 15 yds.  Yes, I was shooting rested across a range bag.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.  I keep hoping I'll find some load that pistol will shoot.  Put it back in the case.

The big XD also shot 20 rounds of 230 grain LRN.  Ten with Unique (usual load I've used for almost 40 years) and ten with a box of reloads I got off the shelf in the shed.  The label said Red Dot powder, but no charge weight.  I always write the charge weights on the tags/stickers and in the reloading log book.  Those last 10 (Red Dot) were stout.  My wife said she could see the differenc in the recoil vs. the first ten.  Shot it offhand.  Groups weren't great, but still better than the M&P .40.

Didn't sight my wife's Shield 9MM in with the laser, she left it in the trunk of the car.

Didn't shoot the AR15.  Figured I needed to get somewhere and eat something.

Got home to clean the pistols (had to let the dogs out of the pen first and pet/treat them - always).  The M&P was just nasty.  Barrel looked terrible.  Patches where black as could be, from 20 rounds of FMJ factory ammo.  Took solvent, patches, brushing, several repeitions to get it clean enough to suit me.  The XD didn't look as bad overall, but had lead stuck to the barrel in couple spots.  Took some brushing, patches and special cleaners to get it clean enough to suit me.  The P07 9MM?  Darn thing looked clean and shiny.  I know it was dirty.  I shot it.  But it looked so clean/shiny compared to the other two.  I ran a couple patches through it and the first one came out with some light gray looking areas on it.  Second was a waste of a patch.  The P07 9MM appears to be a clone of the P07 .40 - shoot it as much as I want and the barrel looks so good I have to make myself clean it.

Targets?  I tossed those in the trash.  Just ugly compared to my P07 .40 or my P01 and P09 guns.  The M&P is back in the factory box with the Storm Lake barrel and Apex trigger/parts/kit still in it.  No use wasting more time on it.  I like the way it feels in my hand so much but it's not worth continuing to spend money on looking for something that will make it shoot like the P07 .40.

Next time it'll be the P07 9MM and the AR15.  I've got several types of ammo to try in the P07 9MM
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Rmach

Re: 11/2/20 - finally made it to the range after months and months
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
Thanks for posting your experience. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:09:00 PM by Rmach »
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 3 polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 07:02:46 PM »
Forgot some stuff

The issue with the M&P .40 seems to have been caused by the addition of the Apex trigger.  It already had the old Apex kit in it with the sear, striker block, springs, but I recently put a flat trigger in it to make it more like the two 2.0's I've put the Apex trigger kits in.

A click, no bang, but a small indent on the firing pin has meant - in the past - that the striker block is not being fully lifted out of the way of the striker movement when released by the sear.  An adjustment to the trigger bar loop (on the 1.0 M&Ps) results in the striker block being lifted sooner/faster so that it is out of the way when the striker is released.

The issue with the big XD (today) was the slide not being fully forward on the 230 grain LRN with Red Dot powder.  I'd forgotten that my nephews XD .45 would not fire the longer loaded .45 ammo that I'd adjusted to several years ago.  I did that for the Series 70 Colt.  It would have failures to feed into the chamber with the .45 loads that worked fine in my other Colts and the P14.  Tried a lot of stuff, finally loaded some ammo with the bullet not so deep in the case (don't remember the measurements before or after (it's in the log book I think).  The longer cartridges worked fine in all the Colts and the P14 but would hit the lands in my nephews XD .45 and not fully chamber every round.  I'd clean forgotten that and had not shot any of the LRN ammo in the big XD Tactical till awhile back.

Today, on the first click/no fire I racked the slide back without thinking about it or looking at it (it had fired 10 230 grain LRN from a different batch/load without issue just prior to the no fire on the 2nd ten).  Same on the second click/no fire.  On the third I stopped, looked at the slide and saw it wasn't fully forward.  A nudge put it there and then I pulled back enough to recock it and it fired.  It then fired the next 7 and when I reloaded the two duds (with tiny indents on the primers) I watched and they fully chambered and fired.  Looks like I gotta shoot only factory ammo or the Missouri Bullet Co. truncated cone 225 grain bullets in the XD.

I'll get the 40, or so rounds left in the box of the Red Dot loads and plunk test them when I get a chance.  Gotta be sure that's what it is.

What's really weird about those Red Dot loads is (and I have no explanation for it) is there is not a single record in my reloading logbook to show I loaded any .45 acp with Red Dot powder.  I looked back to when I started this book in 2009.  I didn't get any Red Dot powder till after my dad passed away and that was after the logbook was started.  It's my writing on the label on the box.  I loaded that ammo.  No idea when or what the powder charge is. 

And, I gotta shoot the M&P .40 enough to make sure it really is fixed this time.  Five or six more boxes at least.  Then put it back in the safe again.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
This afternoon I grabbed the M&P .40 and the XD .45 and the Bore Tech Eliminator along with the rod, patches, nylon brushes and some oil (for lube after cleaning).  Yesterday they got cleaned with some old stuff that is advertised as being a bore cleaner, lubricant and preservative.  Didn't go much as a bore cleaner, not sure about the lubricant claim and it did preserve things for about 24 hrs.

The first barrel cleaned with the M&P.  Despite the gun only being fired with FMJ ammo yesterday and being cleaned till the patches were almost white before dark the first patches with BTE this afternoon were nasty black.  Second set (use two to get more contact/friction between patches and barrel walls) was a combination of black and blue-green.  After that it was mostly blue-green.  Brushed with a .45 caliber nylon brush, more BTE patches but they were barely a little blue green, more brushing, more patches, then dried it out and looked at it.  Pitiful dark/rough compared to the P07 9MM barrel (which I didn't clean again today).  Ran an oily patch through the Storm Lake barrel and put the pistol back together to put away.

The XD barrel, which had only lead bullets through it yesterday barely had any black on the first set of BTE patches and no blue green on the second set.  .45 acp nylon brush/patches and BTE used, a lot, scrubbed, patched, scrubbed/brushed/patched, more BTE, etc.  Never really got all the lead out.  I was hoping it would.  There's just a couple small smears along the trailing edges of two of the lands.  I guess I'll need to get something that will dissolve/wash out the lead to really get it clean.  Ran an oily patch down the barrel and put the pistol back together and put it away,

Then I got the idea of loading up the .40 (a few mags. with the 135 grain Nosler HPs the CZ pistols do so well with.  Just in case.  Racked the slide back, inserted a magazine of 15 rounds, hit the slide release lever (1.0 model) and the round jammed into the roof of the chamber like the Winchester factory 180 HPs did till I polished the snot out of the chamber a few months back.  Tried it several times, got one out 6 to feen all the way into the chamber without hanging up.  So much for that idea.  Might work loaded longer, but then they wouldn't chamber in the Beretta 90-Two, the CZ75B or the Tactical Sport.  All those require shorter overall lengths vs. the P07/P09/FNS pistols.  Don't you just love it.

Then I pulled the barrel back out of the XD and plunked 35 rounds of LRN reloads from that old box.  Different thread for that one, I'm lost, so far.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »
Overall, it was STILL good that you got to go to the range!!  You are getting back in the swing of things, working on issues, trying to make everything better.  So this is an overall good report! 

I still have to carry my little pamphlet for the Holosun sight with me in my pistol bag when shooting the P-10F and S.  I have to switch them to manual mode and single dot so that I can adjust the brightness and see only a dot and keep it on until I'm done.  And then I have to remember to turn it off--manually--when I'm done. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F