Author Topic: Wife wants a true pocket pistol  (Read 9627 times)

Ron M.

Wife wants a true pocket pistol
« on: November 05, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
Susan normally carries a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal, IWB or in a carry purse. She wants a pistol she can carry in a front pocket or appendix carry when she's walking the dog in the morning or late afternoon. She usually wears shorts or sweats depending on the weather.   She want the pistol to be flat enough that it's easy to hide and not so heavy it makes a pockets on her sweats look like there's something heavy in them.

My Beretta Tomcat is a bit too bulky and almost too heavy for her to pocket carry. The Kel-Tec P32 didn't inspire confidence, when it had 3 malfunctions in 24 rounds. She's wants to try a North American Arms 32 and/or a Seecamp LWS-32. 

I can get a new Seecamp for $460 out the door and a the NAA for $380. I'm leaning toward the Seecamp only because of it's known high quality and reliability.

Does anyone have experience with one or both? Unfortunately none of the ranges around here have one or the other for rent.

32ACP is as small as I prefer to go. Plus 25ACP is hard to find and I'm not comfortable with most 22lr pocket pistol's reliability.

Offline wagon

Re: Wife wants a true pocket pistol
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:01:27 PM »
Have you checked out Kahr Pm9 or CM9 ?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:03:31 PM »
Ruger LCP?
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Ron M.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 05:07:32 PM »
Have you checked out Kahr Pm9 or CM9 ?

We tried a PM9, too much recoil for her to shoot well and a bit bulkier than she liked. The Kahr 380 was difficult for her to rack the slide, bad combination of tiny surfaces and heavy springs. I'd be fine with any of them.

Offline wagon

Wife wants a true pocket pistol
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
Sig 938 or 238?   Easy to rack.  But is single sction

I have had Kahrs and Sig938.    They all have more felt recoil than bigger guns, just physics.   But i thought if she can shoot LCR 327, she would not have problem with these subcompact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron M.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
Sig 938 or 238?   Easy to rack.  But is single sction

I have had Kahrs and Sig938.    They all have more felt recoil than bigger guns, just physics.   But i thought if she can shoot LCR 327, she would not have problem with these subcompact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She tried the P238 She shoots it OK, but it was too big for pocket carry. The key is it must fit in her normal walking shorts and not print. She has tried my S&W 432PD, it's light enough for appendix but still too big for pocket carry.

bonj

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
You should really consider the S&W M&P 22 Compact. Extremely reliable and accurate. 25yrds is no issue on a 16" square target. Very light weight, ergonomic, easy to rack the slide and not that bulky. Ten rounds of the .22 in JHP will stop any Perp. After all, the Israeli Mossad uses the same caliber as well. And you won't have to take out a loan too buy ammo for the range.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »
My LCP vanishes in my pocket and shoots dead on out to about 15 yards. With a grip sleeve (a piece of inner tube) the recoil is perfectly manageable.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »
 My Seacamp 32 weighs 12.6 oz loaded and in a Remora pocket holster no one knows it's in my pocket.

Ron M.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
I think I forgot a critical bit of info. My wife is 5'6" and weighs between 135 and 140lbs. She will not dress around the gun while on her twice daily walks. A gun that I can easily hide in a pocket can be a bit big for her to carry that way. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. Recoil isn't a huge issue, as long as the gun fits her. She shoots a 38 Super or 45ACP 1911 just fine, her favorite range and home guns are her M&P CORE with a red dot sight, my Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm, and my CGW upgraded CZ75B.

Ron M.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 06:17:09 PM »
My Seacamp 32 weighs 12.6 oz loaded and in a Remora pocket holster no one knows it's in my pocket.

Have you had any issues with one loading or another? I have a lot of 32ACP ammo for my Beretta 81s, Walther PP, PPK, and CZ 70s. Most of the defense ammo is Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot, and PMC JHP. I think I have a few boxes of Fiocchi XTP ammo in the stash too.

Offline eastman

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
Ruger LCP?

great choice for a pocket pistol
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 08:40:53 PM »
It may be a bit heavier than some, 'cause it's built like a Tank
But it's an 18 Round, 9mm Compact
Roughly the size of a RAMI
The Star Firestar Plus:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882623555
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Ron M.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »
It may be a bit heavier than some, 'cause it's built like a Tank
But it's an 18 Round, 9mm Compact
Roughly the size of a RAMI
The Star Firestar Plus:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882623555

That would would make her shorts fall to the floor in no time. Fun for me, at home, but not so good if she's out walking by her self.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
When you said the Kel-Tec P32 malfunctioned, what type ammo were you running?  Never had a problem with full metal jacket round nose.  That's the lightest pistol I can think of.