Author Topic: There Can Be Only One  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Steve Menegon

There Can Be Only One
« on: November 20, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
During one of our "we will not comply double barrel salutes to Gov. Wolf here in Pa.", we were sitting around a campfire, enjoying a few cold ones, and this question came up. If you could only have one handgun out of your particular collection when & if the SHTF, which would you chose? Not to fight your way to your rifle, you get one handgun and that is all.

I chose my bulbous handled (as Wobbly put it) P229/.357 Sig. I chose it because I like the round, it fits my XL hand fine, and I shoot it as well as anything else I own. It was my choice when my neighbor and I went to Gettysburg on July 4th to support warding off the trolls that showed up to desicrate that sacred and hallowed ground.

Since then, I have been going back and forth with my choices. SP01? 75D Compact? Stick with the P229? My reasons are varied from round quantity (I have my P01 with me every day with multiple mags ~ 100 rounds) to the supposed lesser rounds shown to stop a threat by .357 Sig. I ruled out my 97BD due to ammo weight. The 97BD is actually lighter than my SP01, both fully loaded by my scale. My P01 is gaining more and more ground as it takes the SP01 mags. I shoot them equally well. I just love those Underwood .357 Sig 125gr. rounds.

So there you have it. What would you chose in this hypothetical? 

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: There Can Be Only One
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 07:44:08 PM »
My Glock 19 or 17, whichever I grabbed first. Preferably both  ;)
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Double Tap

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 07:46:07 PM »
During one of our "we will not comply double barrel salutes to Gov. Wolf here in Pa.", we were sitting around a campfire, enjoying a few cold ones, and this question came up. If you could only have one handgun out of your particular collection when & if the SHTF, which would you chose? Not to fight your way to your rifle, you get one handgun and that is all.

I chose my bulbous handled (as Wobbly put it) P229/.357 Sig. I chose it because I like the round, it fits my XL hand fine, and I shoot it as well as anything else I own. It was my choice when my neighbor and I went to Gettysburg on July 4th to support warding off the trolls that showed up to desicrate that sacred and hallowed ground.

Since then, I have been going back and forth with my choices. SP01? 75D Compact? Stick with the P229? My reasons are varied from round quantity (I have my P01 with me every day with multiple mags ~ 100 rounds) to the supposed lesser rounds shown to stop a threat by .357 Sig. I ruled out my 97BD due to ammo weight. The 97BD is actually lighter than my SP01, both fully loaded by my scale. My P01 is gaining more and more ground as it takes the SP01 mags. I shoot them equally well. I just love those Underwood .357 Sig 125gr. rounds.

So there you have it. What would you chose in this hypothetical?
My IWI Masada

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 07:57:23 PM »
First choice one of my 357 revolvers, most probably my 5 inch S&W 686, followed closely by the 3 inch 686. This would give me a great deal of flexibility. My 4 inch S&W 624 or Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 357/9mm would be high on the list for different reasons.

Online Tok36

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »
SP-01 Tac 9mm, tuned the way i like it. Nice and heavy, to tame the inevitable jitters that i would experience in the event that i was required to defend my self or others with it.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline double-d

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:30:06 PM »
Easy answer.........  Para-Ordnance P14-45
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:30:10 AM by double-d, Reason: spelling »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »
My 10mm Longslide
Accuracy and Stopping Power, on most any, four OR two Legged types:
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the 8 years before HIM !

Online Gunnerdad80

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 03:18:35 AM »
If an AR pistol counts then the 300 blackout. ;D If not, then my SAR USA CM9 Gen2 stainless. Not a high dollar pistol but it’s reliable, fits my hand perfectly and is easy to shoot well. Also the MecGar 19 round mags fit and I have 15 of them.  8)

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 05:10:12 AM »
My  PCR or the  Beretta 92 FS that I put an M9A3 slide on with XS F8 sights.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »
Regardless of my caliber preference I'd have to pick my P09 9MM.  If I live long enough it'll be easier to find/pick up 9MM ammo vs. the other calibers.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline eagle-eye

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
I'd say my 75D Compact. It's my favorite and most reliable. I also have more mags for it then anything else I own.
If you listen to the reports out there, our choice may not include any semi-autos, unless you can pay the taxes and fees for NFA stuff. My revolver choices are much more limited.
I've found that growing up in the sixties was a lot more fun than being in my sixties.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
My P-10C to be completely honest.  8) It has been awesome for years.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 09:07:17 PM »
My P10-C, it's taken a long time to work its way into my heart, but it's one heck of a fighting pistol.

Offline GMork

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
In Germany there has been a restriction since 1973 that a hunter may only acquire two handguns.
I currently own a CZ P07 and a Walther P5 compact.
Sorry for saying it in a CZ forum, but should ownership ever be limited to just one handgun, I would choose the Walther P5 compact. It's very reliable and has a unique combination of releasing the slide and decocking the hammer. In addition, it's so small that you can even carry it in your trouser pocket, which is not so good with the CZ P07 because it's larger. In my opinion, the 8 rounds of the Walther P5 compact are also sufficient.
Furthermore the Walther P5 compact is a hammer-fired DA / SA pistol. Since a dangerous incident more than 30 years ago I don't like striker-fired pistols at all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:02:15 AM by GMork »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
In Germany there has been a restriction since 1973 that a hunter may only acquire two handguns.
I currently own a CZ P07 and a Walther P5 compact.
Sorry for saying it in a CZ forum, but should ownership ever be limited to just one handgun, I would choose the Walther P5 compact. It's very reliable and has a unique combination of releasing the slide and decocking the hammer. In addition, it's so small that you can even carry it in your trouser pocket, which is not so good with the CZ P07 because it's larger. In my opinion, the 8 rounds of the Walther P5 compact are also sufficient.

If I'm on the way out and not coming back I'm taking at minimum a full sized pistol with all the mag capacity I can get. To each his own but I would certainly not intentionally limit myself to a pocket pistol with a single stack mag.