Author Topic: My "Perfect" P-10C  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Hammer Time

My "Perfect" P-10C
« on: November 21, 2020, 06:49:33 PM »
I've owned this P-10C for about 6 months now, and I'll start off by saying that even with my long-standing preference for metal hammer guns, right out of the box this gun made it impossible for me to maintain whatever snobbery I may have had toward polymer striker guns (and I've owned a variety of them in the past). It was that good.

But of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, and the tinkering began. This started off as one of the limited-edition CGW P-10Cs, so it came with the custom slide cuts and crowned barrel, to which I've added:

•   Night Fision orange front sight, blacked out rear sight
   •   4.4 lb striker spring (CGW)
   •   Stainless guide rod (CGW)
   •   #15 recoil spring (CGW)
   •   Theta trigger (HBI)

After a complete tear down and cleaning, and installing the CGW striker spring and Theta trigger, I'm blown away at how good it is. The only way I can think to describe the trigger feel is "downright surgical." There is no creep, zero grit, just a minimal, clean take-up to a crisp 4lb wall, slight over-travel (my preference) and then an amazingly short, positive reset. Not sure there is anything I could do to improve this pistol at this point.

I can't believe it, but I think I just fell in love with a polymer striker gun.  :)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:24:44 AM by Hammer Time »

Offline Winkel

Re: My "Perfect" P-10C
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 08:44:52 PM »
That is a sharp looking gun.  I'm with you on the preference (or so I thought) of the hammer fired DA/SA action, but bought an M&P Shield 9 several months back and am quickly becoming a striker fired fan. 

The simplicity of the fire control group is a plus as well. 

Congratulations!

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 12:18:05 AM »
That is a sharp looking gun.  I'm with you on the preference (or so I thought) of the hammer fired DA/SA action, but bought an M&P Shield 9 several months back and am quickly becoming a striker fired fan. 

The simplicity of the fire control group is a plus as well. 

Congratulations!

Thanks. And if you're liking your Shield, you really need to try a P-10.

Offline skucera

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
Hammer, your review got me rethinking my biases too, so I picked up a P10C this afternoon.  Unfortunately, because of the current run on high capacity pistols around the country, the only thing my local gun shop had in stock was a California 10-shot version, so I'll be shopping for extra magazines right off the bat.  Also, because I normally have C&R guns only, I realize I don't have any 9mm ammo in the house at all, so I've got to shop for ammo too before I can take it out shooting.  C'est la vie.

Thanks again for describing your perfect P-10C.

Scott

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
Hammer, your review got me rethinking my biases too, so I picked up a P10C this afternoon.  Unfortunately, because of the current run on high capacity pistols around the country, the only thing my local gun shop had in stock was a California 10-shot version, so I'll be shopping for extra magazines right off the bat.  Also, because I normally have C&R guns only, I realize I don't have any 9mm ammo in the house at all, so I've got to shop for ammo too before I can take it out shooting.  C'est la vie.

Scott

Right on - love to hear your thoughts after you've been able to get some range time with it.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
I’m a fan of the P10C, got mine in 2018.  I did some similar mods:  changed out the factory 3-dot sights to something I prefer, swapped the OEM trigger shoe for the HBi, played around with the HBi striker springs, CGW tool steel striker (their first one), CGW SS guiderod and experimented with the 15 and 18 lb recoil springs, and added an Apex extended mag release.  I shot it in a few 3-gun/USPSA matches to wring it out, and although the gun was intended to be a EDC/HD gun I was having so much fun it became my match gun for over 6 months.  I did have a few issues with the lighter HBi striker springs but after getting used to the trigger and doing some internal polishing I went back to the stock striker spring and left it alone at ~4 lb pull but nice and crisp.  I didn’t feel the need to chase a 3-ish lb pull at the sacrifice of light strikes or only using Federal primers. 

Added a Streamlight TLR-1 for bedside duty or an Olight PL-mini for EDC.

In mid 2019 I sent my slide off to Jagerwerks to have it milled for a RMR and add a rear sight dovetail in front of the optic.  I was motivated by a combination of aging eyesight and the desire to own at least one “Timmy Gun”.  Very happy with how it turned out and glad I put the BUIS rear sight in front of the optic to avoid cluttering up the sight picture.  The BUIS is still very much usable once I added a taller front sight.

I still have a few Glocks but I like the P10C over any of them. 

Offline skucera

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 01:24:27 AM »

Scott

Right on - love to hear your thoughts after you've been able to get some range time with it.

Hammer, I have some ammo ordered, but the two gun stores in my area were both completely out of 9x19.  It may be a few weeks before it arrives, in these odd, uncertain times.  I can hardly wait too.  :)

Scott

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
Of course, I couldn't resist changing one more thing - I swapped out the existing sights for a pair of TruGlo Pros.

Offline monty_d_33

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 05:56:13 PM »
OP, she’s pretty.  I’m on P10c # 2 now, they are good out of the box but your improvements are nice.  No red dot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
OP, she’s pretty.  I’m on P10c # 2 now, they are good out of the box but your improvements are nice.  No red dot?

Thanks!

No red dot at this point. I've used them before on pistols (and of course on all my carbines, etc), but for a carry gun, as long as my eyes work with some good high contract iron sights, it's still my preference.

Offline rledwards

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
I bought a P10C as soon as they came out because I am a big fan of the CZ-75 and the SP-01. I use only 147 gr bullets because of the softer felt recoil and because they are subsonic. I was very disappointed with my P10C because it looked like a shotgun pattern when accuracy testing. A shooting companion who got one at the same time was having the same problem. I got and loaded up some 115, 124 and 135 grain bullets to try. The 124 is the heaviest bullet that I can get acceptable accuracy with out of my P10C. Also not a fan of the horrible mag release. My wife is a good shooter and can use all of my pistols except this one, she cannot do a mag change with this one. She cannot get the mag release button to depress. My buddy wound up selling his because he was so unhappy with it.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
I bought a P10C as soon as they came out because I am a big fan of the CZ-75 and the SP-01. I use only 147 gr bullets because of the softer felt recoil and because they are subsonic. I was very disappointed with my P10C because it looked like a shotgun pattern when accuracy testing. A shooting companion who got one at the same time was having the same problem. I got and loaded up some 115, 124 and 135 grain bullets to try. The 124 is the heaviest bullet that I can get acceptable accuracy with out of my P10C. Also not a fan of the horrible mag release. My wife is a good shooter and can use all of my pistols except this one, she cannot do a mag change with this one. She cannot get the mag release button to depress. My buddy wound up selling his because he was so unhappy with it.

Well that's too bad. I can't say I've experienced any of those issues. I find mine to be very accurate (and if you dig around on this forum and read what others have posted, I think you'll find that most other people agree). I've also never had a problem with the stock mag release on mine - I find that it is very positive and launches mags out with authority. I mostly shoot 115gr and 124gr in mine.

Offline rledwards

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 02:46:32 PM »
I really like the feel and ergonomics of the P10C. Decided to give it another try, ordered a Primary Machine threaded barrel to see if I can get it to shoot my go-to 147 gr RMR HMW load. I will post again after the new barrel comes in and I can get to the range to see how it shoots.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
Well, I've been so smitten with my P-10C that when I saw a P-10S OR come up for sale, I couldn't resist. Can't wait to get it to the range and get it dirty.  ;)

Offline PFran42

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
[like button]

anything