Author Topic: P10c OR CGW & DPM Guide Rod Galling  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Horn78

P10c OR CGW & DPM Guide Rod Galling
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
I tried the CGW guide rod and 15# Spring and noticed galling after the first time I shot it. I also tried the DPM system and got the same result. I was very careful to properly seat the rod in its 1/2 moon on the barrel. I know others have used both these products and wonder if this is just me. With the CGW rod I noticed nothing really lines it up with the barrel opening like the captured factory rod does but the DPM does. I have no idea what is doing this.The factory captured looks fine. Both of these shoot but this cant be good.

Offline rich63

Re: P10c OR CGW & DPM Guide Rod Galling
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 11:47:19 AM »
I have the CGW ss guide rod and 15# recoil spring installed in P10C. The CGW guide rod is doing the same thing. I have approx 4500 rounds on it. Have had no issues with functionality.

rich63

Offline Horn78

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
I have the CGW ss guide rod and 15# recoil spring installed in P10C. The CGW guide rod is doing the same thing. I have approx 4500 rounds on it. Have had no issues with functionality.

rich63
Thanks for the reply. I wondered if it is the norm but I have to admit, at least in my pea brain, it would seem like the galling would change to some degree the designed resistance to the slide going back as well as into battery. In my mind there are only two sources of the rubbing. The inside dimension of the spring or the rod guide/opening on the slide. If the latter that is a problem IMHO. I know it made mine noisier just racking it. I also do not see any similar markings on the factory rod but it is captured.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »
Nope nothing wrong with either one of those. That's just a bit of etching/scratching from the recoil spring and it can be observed in many applications. Either one of those rods will function just fine as they are for eons and thousands of rounds. My CZ's do it Berettas and Sigs as well. 3rd gen S&W's years ago would scrape all indication of finish off their guide rods within the first box of ammo and it was never an issue. Shoot the crap out of it and enjoy.

Offline Horn78

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 06:05:19 PM »
Nope nothing wrong with either one of those. That's just a bit of etching/scratching from the recoil spring and it can be observed in many applications. Either one of those rods will function just fine as they are for eons and thousands of rounds. My CZ's do it Berettas and Sigs as well. 3rd gen S&W's years ago would scrape all indication of finish off their guide rods within the first box of ammo and it was never an issue. Shoot the crap out of it and enjoy.
Thanks, I will shoot the crap out of them and not worry.

Offline dehughes

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
More importantly, did you notice any difference/improvement in shooting feel and recoil impulse between the stock guide rod/spring and the CGW/15# spring?

Offline Horn78

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 12:23:31 AM »
More importantly, did you notice any difference/improvement in shooting feel and recoil impulse between the stock guide rod/spring and the CGW/15# spring?
Honestly not that much but I haven't been shooting anything but crap 115 grain range stuff. I will give it a second look when the ammo thing allows me to shoot bigger stuff with more recoil without mortgaging my house to do so. With the 115 I don't feel any difference and haven't seen any improved splits or accuracy but again that is light recoiling ammo anyway.

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »
I have DPM’s for several of my pistols and they show some minor wear like that with no issues. Any time you have metal on metal, oiled or not, you will get wear like that.

I can feel varied reduction in felt recoil when using 124gr and up ammo when shooting with the DPM’s.

anything