Author Topic: Fun With CZ 527 Set Trigger Disassembly.  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Tuco

Fun With CZ 527 Set Trigger Disassembly.
« on: March 20, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »
Wait, wut? Ok, it was fun to disassemble, but the reassembly made me drink cheap scotch. My recently acquired CZ527 in 7.62x39 base trigger had some takeup woes. Yep those nasty little catches and grit that ruin a trigger, and if you have smooth trigger fetishes, well, there's a problem. Anyway, it obvious the sear surfaces needed flattening and polishing. Took it apart and sure enough, nicks on the faces. Out came the 400/600/2000 grit papers, some plate glass for a flat surface, the Dremel and polishing wheels and compound. Work work work, polish until mirror like, and reassemble. It's that reassemble thing that took on a whole new meaning. Those that have done this know what I'm talking about with that tiny trigger return spring and the need to assemble everything together, and not in separate steps.

And what's with that trigger and lever pin? The pin is oversized, so you can't do a fitment test, 'cause it won't go in the trigger, nor lever holes. What! It' not even a split pin, and hard to tell if it's a roll pin. Anyway, I chamfered the edges to be able to start the pin. I'm very curious how the factory does it. So between getting that tiny trigger spring aligned in the housing pocket and aligning the pieces to get the pin installed while holding the larger lever spring in place and hoping Jupiter aligns with Mars, Bam! The pin went home and it was all back together again. Phew!

So anyway, the trigger is now super amazing. Not a hint of grit and breaks like glass. I set the main trigger to just under 3 lbs and the "set" trigger to just under 1lb. Scary light, but should be great for target shooting. I've never had a CZ rifle before, and I'm pretty impressed with the quality. Gorgeous rifle! Still waiting on the Leupold to arrive then will head to the range next weekend.

I'd like to hear your experience if you've disassembled one of these triggers.   

Offline david s

Re: Fun With CZ 527 Set Trigger Disassembly.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »
I generally adjust the set feature out of my 527 triggers. I also remove the trigger poundage spring and replace it with a 4 tenths inch long piece that's cut from a Bic lighter flint spring (There is a photo on page two of this forum thread in the post titled "SET TRIGGER PROBLEMS", the spring off a tires valve stem also works). This spring fits over the little nub of the poundage screw like it was made for it. And drops some trigger poundage (I actually end up adjusting the trigger up to two pounds weight). I end up with a consistent 2 pound trigger that is clean feeling, safe and doesn't need to be set every shot. Digging the factory spring out of the trigger is the hardest part of the process. To the best of my knowledge this idea originated with James Calhoun of Calhoun Rifles.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:25:31 PM by david s »

Offline eastman

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 10:23:28 PM »
Wait, wut? Ok, it was fun to disassemble, but the reassembly made me drink cheap scotch...

sounds like a typical day at work ...   :o
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Tuco

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »
Wait, wut? Ok, it was fun to disassemble, but the reassembly made me drink cheap scotch...

sounds like a typical day at work ...   :o

LOL  ;D