Author Topic: Which CGW sao trigger?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline hammer_fired

Which CGW sao trigger?
« on: January 06, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
Now that I have decided to go sao on my 97B, I need to decide which CGW trigger to buy. For those who have gone sao, which trigger did you get and why?

I will be carrying if that makes a difference.

TIA

Offline Sebspeed

Re: Which CGW sao trigger?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 12:56:55 AM »
Now that I have decided to go sao on my 97B, I need to decide which CGW trigger to buy. For those who have gone sao, which trigger did you get and why?

I will be carrying if that makes a difference.

TIA

I would probably leave it DA for carry, just do the short reset kit. I converted my 97 to sao using a factory Tac Sport trigger and also changed the hammer and sear to achieve proper range toy status. My setup is just under 1.5lb pull.

Offline jurek

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
There's always been a hard topic... Should I change the action on my carry firearm?

I'm not against changes...that improve our ability to self defense.
But going from DA/SA to SAO with carry handgun is the same as asking for longer trial and bigger money to be spent in case of defense shooting action...

Just my opinion....

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
I'm not looking to lighten the trigger pull, just wanting to get rid of the excess take-up. DA doesn't do anything for me other than give me a second strike capability since I'm carrying cocked and locked anyway. Going SAO in no way changes the motions or effort I'd have to go though to fire the weapon.

As far as which trigger to go with, I'm guessing they both function pretty much the same, and it is just a matter of aesthetics?

Offline jurek

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »
I'm not looking to lighten the trigger pull, just wanting to get rid of the excess take-up. DA doesn't do anything for me other than give me a second strike capability since I'm carrying cocked and locked anyway. Going SAO in no way changes the motions or effort I'd have to go though to fire the weapon.

As far as which trigger to go with, I'm guessing they both function pretty much the same, and it is just a matter of aesthetics?

OK. Understood. Hopefully we have members with CZ97B who can answer your question then.

I've never changed DA/SA to SAO, so my question is (hopefully it is not silly question):  Does SAO trigger do anything more / better than removing DA action?  I'm curious if simple cocking the hammer does the same?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 01:05:19 PM »
I think my trigger is from an 85B SAO frame and was supplied by CGW after they added another set screw.  Part is "5SAO", I think.  Same trigger I have in the Kadet.  It is not straight, it has a little angle about 2/3 of the way down.  This has worked great in my 97B"E" converted to SAO.  I don't carry it, but would not have any concerns with the mechanism or reach or ergonomics.  I would rather carry a P-10S or P-07 DA/SA, however.   
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 01:29:10 PM »
Joe L: Thanks for the info. Since exercise is about reducing the take-up, what is the take-up like on your sao trigger?

Jurek: Sorry if I came on a bit strong. I guess if CZ just made the "B" SAO in the first place....Seems kind of pointless (to me) to have DA when there is a safety.

Sebspeed: The reach reduction kit would be more beneficial on the BD as it also reduces the DA pull.

Offline tomboyjr

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »
There's always been a hard topic... Should I change the action on my carry firearm?

I'm not against changes...that improve our ability to self defense.
But going from DA/SA to SAO with carry handgun is the same as asking for longer trial and bigger money to be spent in case of defense shooting action...

Just my opinion....

I have to agree with this. When I lived in liberal CT, and carried for work, we had to take a few classes on what happens after a shooting. Even if you were walking down the street and were attacked, the liberal news wont say 'Man protects himself". It will say 'Man kills teenager". And heaven forbid you used handloads, or had gun work done. They will make it seem like you were out looking to shoot someone.

So for me, as much as I like tinkering with my guns, or motorcycles, or whatever, I always leave my carry guns stock and carry ammo from a gun shop.

Offline jurek

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
Jurek: Sorry if I came on a bit strong. I guess if CZ just made the "B" SAO in the first place....Seems kind of pointless (to me) to have DA when there is a safety.
Nothing wrong at all... I'm a newbie if we talk about SA/DA/SAO/DAO changes, never understood the reason to change factory action. I've been carrying P-01 Omega with safety (cocked and locked) and never used DA action at this pistol. But also never felt any needs to get rid of DA functionality. So that was just my curiosity...

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »
Here is a short video showing the reset in SAO mode with the 5SAO trigger, and I think with the CGW short reset kit, can't remember. 

The reset is still quite long for some folks, but perfect for me as a bullseye shooter.  May take a few minutes for YouTube to finish upload and processing, all due by 5:15 CST.
(I have edited the audio in this video to emphasize the reset click to make it easier to hear.)

Joe
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:10:41 PM by Joe L, Reason: reset click audio enhancement »

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 06:21:35 PM »
Joe L: The take-up looks pretty good compared to stock. The stock reset is fine for me. I like the looks of that trigger. Probably the way I'll go, though it is out of stock right now.

On mods to a carry pistol and ammo:

I already use hand loads that are far from +P loading. Just get a good, reliable bang every time while I'm saving some on ammo costs. I do have some Underwood 255 gn hardcast +P rounds for bear protection, so I suppose I could use those if it would make a difference in court, though I doubt it would.

I guess you could come up with a lot of what-if's on pistol mods. My carry guns are my range guns. Recently, some guy at a range shot his buddy, and another person at the station next to the shooting took out the shooter. If this other shooter had a tricked out pistol with hand loads, is he going to have a tougher time of it if he goes to court? Seems like it was a good shoot as it may have prevented the orig shooter from going after someone else. If this happened in some liberal state, who knows.....

The chances of getting into a SD situation, or something like the range incident are quite remote. If something does come up and I have the option to beat feet, that is just what I'll do!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
Joe L: The take-up looks pretty good compared to stock. The stock reset is fine for me. I like the looks of that trigger. Probably the way I'll go, though it is out of stock right now.

Well, I needed to get my mind off of other stuff this afternoon, so I made that video for you.  I can shoot with a video camera and microphone almost as well as I can shoot a pistol, IF I stay in practice!  Hope it helped. 

Joe

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »
With so many parts out of stock at CGW, I placed my parts order to include the Aluminum SAO trigger (6SAO) since it is available so I can give sao a try. If I find this trigger o.k., I'll go no further. If not, and the other trigger becomes available, I'll order it and give it a try. I splurged on FedEx 2nd day shipping, so I'll know what's what in a few days.

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »
Joe L: Do you still have the firing pin safety and related parts still in your 97B? My CGW parts should be here tomorrow, including the sear spacer. I need to decide if I should install it and remove the other fps parts, or just leave them in and see if everything works with the fps in place.

Never mind. Saw in the gunsmithing forum where you said that you had it removed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:32:30 PM by hammer_fired »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »
I removed the fps stuff but not initially.  I think it was only in the last three years or so.  For bullseye, it bugged me a little, so I removed it.  For anything other than very slow precision shooting, I would leave it in.  As I get older and clumsier, I may put it back in.
Joe