Author Topic: Fun Magazine Idea  (Read 367 times)

Offline Vz58/97

Fun Magazine Idea
« on: January 09, 2021, 05:45:16 PM »
I noticed how the paint finish on Vz 58 magazines can be hit or miss. I have a couple with flaking paint jobs and am thinking about sand blasting the exterior.

Since the magazines are aluminum I thought it would be cool to try anodizing them. I'd probably go for a black finish, or maybe go for something like a rainbow or banana yellow.

Not sure if anybody has tried this, but it would be a fun project.

Offline RSR

Re: Fun Magazine Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:34:43 PM »
Let us know how it turns out.  I think the Chinese or Korean steel mags -- primarily imported into Canada, rare here -- are parkerized, but I don't recall seeing anodized Vz58 mags. 

Someone was selling some "rare" Vz58 mag earlier this year on Gunbroker that *might* have been anodized but don't recall specifics other than something to do w/ the finish. 

Larry Vickers just posted on facebook w/in the past week about the durability of the AR15 anodized finish and how H+K's 416 anodization was not nearly to the quality of milspec ARs -- and how an H+K employee or engineer remarked that anodization of firearms was pioneered and refined by Americans and relatively new for Europeans (or something to that effect).

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »
Real Anodize should leave a hardened surface that wears really good. The color may wear off in high traffic, metal-to-metal areas, but the toughness should remain. You may also need to provide a tapped hole for attachment of the electrode, and this will have a colorless area around it.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline Vz58/97

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:43 PM »
So I started reaching out for quotes. I plan on only getting the main body or the magazine hard anondized (the stuff I can do from home is not up to the job compared to they types you mentioned.) Depending on the cost I may get one done, or all seven that I own. I'm expecting it not to be a cost effective job.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 08:38:43 AM »
While huge national contractors might be able to do 4 or 5 colors, look for your local plater-for-hire to only offer at most 2 colors.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline Vz58/97

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 05:16:32 PM »
I found somebody I will ship the mags out to. I haven't decided whether to go with black dye or clear ano. Since it is stamped it may not take the dye well anyways. Now I just need to sandblast the paint off.

anything