Author Topic: Squaring up a rifle for scope mounting.  (Read 1418 times)

Offline david s

Squaring up a rifle for scope mounting.
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:07:50 PM »
I didn't want to hi jack crosstimbers thread on scope mounting so. Do any members here have a good method of making sure that the rifle there going to mount a scope to is straight up and down on it's vertical axis? Preferably an easy one.

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Squaring up a rifle for scope mounting.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:55:15 PM »
I've used one like this on a bunch of rifles. Doesn't matter if the rifle itself is level, as long as the mount/rail is level on the barrel.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100910230?pid=479454

Offline david s

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »
I've seen those but haven't used one. I mentioned below in the "SCOPE LEVEL QUESTION" post that I've on occasion used a level across a scope ring's bottom half. Some rifles (like the CZ 527's rear ring mounting surface) have a flat surface you can use a level on others like the Win model 70 or the Remington 700 are rounded. Some scope mount bases offer a usable flat surface when mounted to the rifle others not so much. I can see where the Segway Reticle Leveler would work with a flat surface but looking at it I wonder how effective it would be on a rounded surface. Have you tried this with a not so square surface?

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
Im going to try the open bottom ring idea, if I find the bubble tube that I have. However two of the rifles involved have Warne rings
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline david s

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »
Most of my CZ 527's have the vertically split Warne medium rings on them. Fortunately the 527 have a nice flat surface where the rear scope ring mounts, just good luck there. If you take the bubble tube out of a level be careful as the bubble tubes ends may have a ridge on them, just something to look for before you use it. What rifles are you going to use the Warnes on?

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »
One is my 550 standard 308, the other is my 550 FS 270. Both my 527 have horizontal split rings, but Im not switching scopes on either of them.

Offline david s

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »
With the 550 rifles as long as you have a way of holding the rifle securely once it's square you should be okay. Place a level across the front receiver flat and level the rifle. Mount your Warnes and scope, and then use your level on the elevation turret. This is pretty much how I do 527's with Warne rings. I also use a borescope as it lets me have a reference point to see if some how I managed to screw up the process.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
Im certainly going to try  8)

anything