Author Topic: Guess what happens when you force a CZ75 slide stop into a CZ85.  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Tok36

Guess what happens when you force a CZ75 B slide stop into a CZ85 B. 

Any guesses?  >:(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:34:52 PM by Tok36, Reason: Edit for clairty. »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Guess what happens when you force a CZ75 slide stop into a CZ85.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 05:22:52 PM »
Well, the shaft is shorter, so it won't stick through the right side lever as far as the CZ85 left side slide stop will.  Be harder to remove it.

Pretty sure they are the same diameter. 

The groove in the shaft that that the retaining spring leg catches is in the same spot.

I've installed two CZ85 slide stop assemblies in CZ75 frames by enlarging the hole in the outside section of the right side frame.

Darn, thought I had the measurements (diameter) of both in my notes from that first conversion.  Nope, just the CZ85 left side shaft diameter - 0.1965".  I didn't record the CZ75 left side slide release.

Background on this one?
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
   I was working on my CZ 85 B and my CZ 75 Shadow at the same time. After completing the work, i installed the 75 slide stop in the CZ 85. It would not seat, so i smacked it with the plastic handle of one of my tools. Doing this, broke the right side slide stop lever of the CZ 85 B and popped it out of the frame. It broke right at the cut in the CZ 85 B right side slide stop lever for the slide stop spring. It sherd off part of the tube behind the cut.

As it turns out, the end of a slide stop for a 75 can not fit through the rectangular hole in a right side CZ 85 B slide stop lever. The CZ 85 B slide stop is pinched at the end while a 75 slide stop is not. A $35 + shipping mistake.  :-[

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:35:20 PM by Tok36, Reason: Edit for clairty. »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 06:52:01 PM »
These things do happen. The good news is you only wrecked a relatively cheap and easy part to replace. Think of how you'd feel had you damaged the frame. I'd be sick for days.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:33 PM »
Yup, could have been worse.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:04:39 PM »
This sounds like something I would do. Just ruined a perfectly good front sight by trying to force rather than taking a couple thousandths of an inch off the bottom.  Mine cost more than yours did.  Hope you feel better too.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:22:10 AM »
   Long ago, i installed a rear sight in the same 85B without fitting it. It is still in there and it is never coming out. I got to learn about removing steel punch marks and cold blueing from that one.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
I think if we're all honest there probably are very few who haven't trashed something in our home gunsmithing hobby. I learned to work on My S&W revolvers long ago but early on I destroyed a brand new target trigger by improperly fitting it without the proper fixture to stone it on. I bought that fixture before I tried to fit another part like that.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »
How old is the CZ85?  Seems like I was told (CZ Custom) that the older CZ85s (mine is a Pre B, but I'm not sure when the change occurred) had a thinner right side lever where it fits into the frame) and had some history of breaking.  CZ "fixed" it by switching the design to make that right side lever thicker.

I could be wrong about all of the above.  It's been a few years since I got that Pre B and was working through "restoring" it with some new parts.  I just wanted to order spares but I think the current/available parts would not fit the older pistol.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
My CZ 85B is a 2013. I have not gotten a good look at the pre B 85's to examine the Slide Release Levers.

I should have clarified that i was working with a B model.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 10:35:14 PM »
Tok, takes a lot of guts to volunteer to a mistake like this. Also tells me how honest of a person you are
     This type of story only helps us remember to slow down and pay attention. Everyone one makes mistakes, EVERYONE! Some, can’t admit to it.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 11:40:51 PM »
I appreciate it cntrydawwwg, it is good to hear you my friend.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 11:48:43 PM »
Well it’s been awhile since I unleashed the monkeys and annoyed people.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
So it’s NOT a CZ80...? Good to know!

I don’t have an 85 but one time while trying to streamline the cleaning of several CZ models I found myself at the “assembly” stage with 75, 75B, Kadet, PCR, Phantom and 40P slidestops. It was a Oh, bad idea moment. Took awhile to sort it all out. They I pulled them all and carefully took a group photo showing what goes to who,  ;) Now I do them one at a time.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline A.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »
   Long ago, i installed a rear sight in the same 85B without fitting it. It is still in there and it is never coming out. I got to learn about removing steel punch marks and cold blueing from that one.

Good strong site pusher makes it very easy to push sites without any fitting! And without any punch marks! ;D
(Joke)

anything