Author Topic: Action screws torqued, now barrel touches stock?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline JNS

Action screws torqued, now barrel touches stock?
« on: December 24, 2020, 12:54:02 PM »
I just recently purchased my 1st CZ: the 457 Pro 22lr. (Actually it's my 1st 22lr bolt action!) I did a quick cleaning and then had the chance to shoot it once, only a few groups to sight it in. I used CCI standard and was sitting on a really janky table setup, and at around 56 yards my second 5rd group was still a cloverleaf at 1/2 inch. WOW DO I LOVE THIS THING.

Anyway, since then I took the stock off for the first time to see if I could adjust the trigger weight down a bit. While doing so, I noticed the action screws were barely torqued at all... well below 10 inch pounds. They were almost loose. Surprised it came from the factory this way. So once I adjusted the trigger and put everything back together, I torqued those 2 screws to spec at 31 in-lbs.

Now I notice that near the muzzle end of the barrel, the stock and barrel alignment are a bit screwed up. In fact, near the end it appears the stock is now touching the barrel on one side while the other side has a larger gap, so it's not really free floating. Maybe this shouldn't bother me so much, but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if there's a way to adjust this alignment a bit back towards parallel while still keeping the 2 action screws torqued to spec.

Many thanks.

Offline JNS

Re: Action screws torqued, now barrel touches stock?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 08:12:26 PM »
Solved. There's a bit of give when putting the action screws in. Loosened them, put just a bit of pressure on the stock to push it over the other way, tightened the screws, and it's fine.

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 09:27:10 PM »
I was having that happen on my CZ 527M carbine and was working around it the same way.  I ended up bedding the recoil lug. Now it just drops in and is well aligned after I tighten the action screws.  You probably would have to bed the entire action on a 457.  First you'll want to get out to the range again before you start thinking about that stuff.  It might not be needed in your case.
Steve

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 09:30:59 PM »
I forgot, welcome to the CZ rimfire club.  There's a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Steve

anything