Author Topic: Interesting comparison by "Kalashnikov Group": VZ-58 with AKM.  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Laufer

• Retired from air transport business.
Interesting comparison by "Kalashnikov Group": VZ-58 with AKM.
« on: January 29, 2021, 01:40:15 PM »
Anybody realizes that such a review/comparison has some inherent bias.

Nevertheless, the video is still interesting and complimentary (of the VZ, along with the....). Vladimir Onokoy has a broad background with weapons instruction, as factory rep., marine security (onboard merchant ships).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vz+58+kalashnikov+group&view=detail&mid=7AFA0238F6A6F022B8577AFA0238F6A6F022B857&FORM=VIRE

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:34:38 AM by Laufer »

Offline RSR

Re: Interesting comparison by "Kalashnikov Group": VZ-58 with AKM.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 02:38:30 AM »
First I've seen that one.

Here's the youtube link (instead of bing) -- so that it embeds for viewing here in the forum:

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 08:58:22 AM »
That'a fair review.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline MGWLLW

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »
Here's the youtube link (instead of bing) -- so that it embeds for viewing here in the forum:

Thanks for sharing the YT link. Just watched the video and it was very interesting.

Being new to the VZ-58 platform, I'm learning more & more how different it is from the AK-47 platform

Offline Laufer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
MGWLLW:
You guys and any gals are welcome.

Despite the more precise and solid feel of my "Czechpoint" VZ (bought ' nib '  in spring 2019 --  *never postpone buying a gun you can afford...),

my imported AKMs are still just as fun to shoot as they were "pre-VZ".

We might be quite fortunate that 7.62x39 mags are not interchangeable for both rifle types, as these Czech rifles would be more in demand (?) and pricier.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:19:32 PM by Laufer »

Offline RSR

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:26 PM »
We might be quite fortunate that 7.62x39 mags are not interchangeable for both rifle types, as these Czech rifles would be more in demand (?) and pricier.

Losing the last shot bolt hold open, heavier mags, worse mag ergos (longer insertion angle), and preferring the Vz58 mag release (upgrade most of my AKs to the galil release), it'd actually be a detriment from my perspective.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:18:09 AM by RSR »

Offline sboone

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 10:15:36 PM »

Losing the last shot bolt hold open, heavier mags, worse mag ergos, and preferring the Vz58 mag release (upgrade most of my AKs to the galil release), it'd actually be a detriment from my perspective.  YMMV.

Yep AK should use VZ 58 mags, not the other way around.  A loaded 58 mag is about the same, maybe a hair less than a loaded 74 mag.  A loaded 47 mag is noticeably heavier

Offline czgunner

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »

Losing the last shot bolt hold open, heavier mags, worse mag ergos, and preferring the Vz58 mag release (upgrade most of my AKs to the galil release), it'd actually be a detriment from my perspective.  YMMV.

Yep AK should use VZ 58 mags, not the other way around.  A loaded 58 mag is about the same, maybe a hair less than a loaded 74 mag.  A loaded 47 mag is noticeably heavier
Yep. You won't convince the fanbois though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Disabled combat veteran

Offline Laufer

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 01:52:35 AM »
The "TFB" gun review "Ten Reasons why VZ-58 is NOT an AK", has this video by K. Group.

TFB deserves credit for putting it into their review.