Author Topic: New to Europe Bren 2 MS carbine.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Barn Owl Lover

New to Europe Bren 2 MS carbine.
« on: January 30, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
I haven't posted in a while, but here's the new to Europe version of the Bren 2 MS Carbine.  It more resembles a long barreled version of the service rifle vs the US version currently.

CZUB's profile of the Euro Bren 2 carbine:

https://www.czub.cz/en/firearms-and-products-product/cz-bren-2ms-carbine-223-rem

Offline rbuzz00

Re: New to Europe Bren 2 MS carbine.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »
Personally, I prefer that version over what was eventually introduced by CZ in the US.  If parts were available I would consider converting my rifle to that configuration.

Offline ///M5

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 04:48:04 PM »
It looks exactly the same except for the handguard and flash hider. Still has the heavy barrel, and long gas system like mine. They are even using the same ugly stock that came with the us version.

The biggest complaint about the carbine is the weight, and that's probably heavier because it uses the original mounting system.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:57:54 PM by ///M5 »

Offline Barn Owl Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 06:30:33 PM »
It does have to be admitted that even with a 16.75 inch barrel (.25 inch longer than the US version), it's lighter than a IWI Carmel with a 10.5 inch barrel or a FN SCAR with a 14 inch barrel.  Even the HK433 with a similar barrel length to the LB Bren 2 carbine weighs 3/4 of a pound more.

I don't know why CZ went with a longer gas system for the carbine, other than to discourage SBR conversions or to NFA SBR/AOW conversion kits.  This, of course, doesn't apply so much to Europe, though.

Offline ///M5

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:05:07 PM »
It does have to be admitted that even with a 16.75 inch barrel (.25 inch longer than the US version), it's lighter than a IWI Carmel with a 10.5 inch barrel or a FN SCAR with a 14 inch barrel.  Even the HK433 with a similar barrel length to the LB Bren 2 carbine weighs 3/4 of a pound more.

I don't know why CZ went with a longer gas system for the carbine, other than to discourage SBR conversions or to NFA SBR/AOW conversion kits.  This, of course, doesn't apply so much to Europe, though.
Yeah its still a little lighter than some other modern rifles, and thats why I own one. However, the front end is overly heavy, and could have had better balance

Offline Aries144

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 03:22:27 AM »

One potential issue is gas port erosion and how that will affect cycle timing over the life of the weapon. The closer the port is to the chamber, the faster it erodes and increases carrier velocity.

Offline Barn Owl Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
After viewing images in the CZ catalogue for 2021, the European MS 16.5 (actually 16.75) inch barrel has the same profile as the 11" MS carbines sold in Europe and everywhere else outside of North America.  So do the European MS rifles and carbines have a heavier "target" type barrel vs the service rifles?

Also, it does seem that long forends/handguards are in vogue right now.  FN is supporting 3rd party handguard extenders for the SCAR series and FB Radom have a longer handguard that's being used as an upgrade for the MSBS Grot in Polish Army service and is being offered for the commercial versions of the rifles.

Offline ///M5

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »
Where did you get the barrel thickness information? What are the actual dimensions?

Offline Barn Owl Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 06:37:51 PM »
I didn't get it from anywhere, but check out the CZ 2021 online catalog.  It has the 11" MS and 16.5" MS European carbines pictured together and at least the European versions of the MS share the same or similar barrel thickness.  How the compares to the service rifles I don't know, though.