Author Topic: Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE  (Read 4539 times)

Offline briang2ad

Re: Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 02:48:11 PM »
Or even drill a small "dent" in the right side of the sight, then use a center punch style punch with the tip/point in the "hole" to help hold it in place when you hit it.
NICE - good stuff.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 08:16:27 PM »
I got it! ;D That was really on there.
I couldn't resist going downstairs one more time after a beer with the sledge hammer. Of course I got it this time because my pusher's arriving tomorrow. >:(  This time I took-out the vice padding and used some rubber magnet material instead. Some HEAVY wacks and it started moving. Even when the sight was almost all the way off, it was still harder than my PCR to remove that sight from scratch.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 08:02:48 AM »
Great to hear.  That's how that stuff happens.  You're getting the tool, so naturally the sight moves just before you get the new tool.

Now, new rear sight installation.  The original rear sight was super hard to remove.  Rust/corrosion?  Rear sight too large?  Slot in the slide too small?  I don't know. 

I do know that installation of a replacement rear sight can also be an issue if either the sight or the slot in the slide isn't sized right, one for the other.

If the new near sight won't fit into place in the slide without fears that you're going to break something trying to get it in you can "adjust" the rear sight to better fit the slot by removing some metal from the bottom of the rear sight.  I use a stone.  I've got a couple knife sharpening stones that only get used for gun parts.  Metal removal for fitting and metal removal to remove rough spots to make the action smoother.  Some oil on the stone, the rear sight bottom down on the stone and move the sight back and forth on the stone to remove some metal.  I'm always worried about removing too much metal so I only remove a little and then do a test fit.  If I think it won't move into place (and stay - it does need to be tight, but not so tight you need a big hammer and punch to install it - that sight tool should move it into place so you can tighten down the set screw) then remove it and take a little more metal off the bottom of the sight and then test fit it again.  Repeat till you get it right.  You can take metal off but can't put it back on, so go slow and repeat the test fitting attempts till you get what you want.

And, when you go to the range, take that little allen wrench for the set screw and the rear sight tool so you can move that rear sight if you need to during the sighting in process.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline john seeley

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »
Thanks. No corrosion. Some of the polycoat stuck or rubbed off onto the sight (#4) and the slide's dovetail shows bare metal in spots - the sides, not the bottom. Should I cover the bare metal or just oil before the new sight?

I don't know if it's out of spec. I can't measure the width of the slide dovetail at the widest point but the factory sight is is .375" - .376" on the widest point. The dovetail opening is .323".  The dovetail depth is hard to measure with the protruding stick of the calipers... I'm getting .108" -.108.5".

I was going to return the sight pusher, but I'll keep it for fine adjustments and at the range.
Thx.

Offline mkd

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 05:44:22 PM »
john i fit the sight to my dovetail by sanding the sight base . not the slide! i used black magic marker as a guide when sanding once the bare metal started showing. i would taper the leading dovetail of the sight base that enters the slide dovetail first and ink the sight base and insert it to see where it rubbed the ink off. trial and error a bit at a time until i had  it fitted part way into the slide dovetail . i had it about half way in place and used a brass punch and hammer to tap it in place. before i inserted the sight i cleaned it with alcohol and cold blued the bare metal and lightly oiled the base. i also put a dab of blue locktight on each side of the sight base and let it leach into the cracks and wiped the excess off with a q tip.   

Offline john seeley

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
john i fit the sight to my dovetail by sanding the sight base . not the slide! i used black magic marker as a guide when sanding once the bare metal started showing. i would taper the leading dovetail of the sight base that enters the slide dovetail first and ink the sight base and insert it to see where it rubbed the ink off. trial and error a bit at a time until i had  it fitted part way into the slide dovetail . i had it about half way in place and used a brass punch and hammer to tap it in place. before i inserted the sight i cleaned it with alcohol and cold blued the bare metal and lightly oiled the base. i also put a dab of blue locktight on each side of the sight base and let it leach into the cracks and wiped the excess off with a q tip.

Thanks. My new sights are in. I measured with a calipers and got it dead center with the pusher. I won't loctite until I get to the range. I did clean with alcohol and blued the exposed metal. I also used a toothpick to blue the end of the front sight pin <--OCD!! The pusher worked good. I put some small pieces of rubber magnet material on the inside of the metal pusher to protect the new sight. I even took my PCR out and centered it better.

I file the back angle and not the bottom- of the sight ...just a matter of preference I guess. With the front sight I sanded the bottom in addition to filing the sides very carefully with the needle file. The front sight I used (link below) for my P-01 and PCR needs a lot of fitting. I learned from last time, when I only sanded the bottom of my front sight to get it to fit, the half moon cutout for the pin got too shallow and I barely got the pin in. Also the front sight was too low and crashed into my anti glare serrations on the top of the slide. This time, no issues. Thanks again.

Sights I used:
https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/front-and-rear-sights/cz-rear-sights-all/cz-75-85-p01-rear-sights/cz75-short-tac-rear-sight.html
https://cajungunworks.com/product/050-390-correct-oem-fo-front-sight/

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:16:12 PM by john seeley »

Offline s004kcg

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 06:16:16 PM »

Good advice, go slow, can always take off more...can't put it back on.