Author Topic: Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE  (Read 4608 times)

Offline john seeley

Re: Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 06:06:00 PM »
Thanks. All NCStars are the same so just look for the least expensive one? How about this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Pistol-Slides-Rear-Sight-Tool-Pusher-for-Glock-1911-SIG-Handguns/274586701694?epid=16032162872&hash=item3feea48f7e:g:vX0AAOSw~jJbT8kc

that looks to be the same one I use

Cool. Thanks for confirming. I'll get it after a few more tries with the hammer.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 06:04:12 AM »
You don't care about the rear sight, right?  You are replacing it.

Why are you worried about marking up the rear sight?  I understand the desire not to mark up the slide.

Maybe a brass punch (if you can't hold the punch on the sight when you striker it with the hammer) or a steel punch if you feel you can hold the punch on the sight when struck with the hammer.

Or even drill a small "dent" in the right side of the sight, then use a center punch style punch with the tip/point in the "hole" to help hold it in place when you hit it.

For awhile my standard "gunsmith tool box" hammer was a tack hammer.  One day I was trying to drive a pin out of a hammer to put the spring guide in a different hammer and that little tack hammer just wasn't getting it done.  Strike after strike with no movement.  I went to the garage, got a bigger ball pein hammer and much more easily drove the pin out.  I went out and bought a shop hammer style hammer with a short handle and it's in my "gunsmith" tool box now.

The bigger hammer has advantages.  One is you can get plenty of force even with a low hammer velocity due to the increased weight.  The other is you have a really large striking face vs. a smaller/lighter hammer which helps you keep the hammer on the punch easier/better.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 07:32:21 AM »
I've had a few sights that were just plain in there and wouldn't budge and since I was not going to reuse them They came out easily with a good hammer and steel punch. Trying to save a sight that you're never going to use again isn't hardly worth the effort when you consider taking a chance on damaging the slide trying to save a sight.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 12:29:32 PM »
Thanks. Good idea about drilling a dimple so the punch doesn't move. Don't have a center punch but I have finishing nail punch. I can also try the sledge hammer so I don't lose accuracy swinging so hard.

UPDATE: I just ordered the pusher. I managed to smash my finger with the sledge hammer. :-\ Nicked the slide just a bit.. not too much to feel bad about.  I tried the steel finishing punch and heat. NOTHING. My workbench isn't the most solid... was rocking all over the place.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:46:18 PM by john seeley »

Offline coolbox

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:24 PM »
I nicked one of my CZs while installing sights. Got the CZC tool, and it has all been a breeze eversince.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/tools-punches-bench-blocks/cz-rear-sight-pusher.html

This info might be a little late for you, but could be beneficial for someone else.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline john seeley

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 12:32:01 AM »
I nicked one of my CZs while installing sights. Got the CZC tool, and it has all been a breeze eversince.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/tools-punches-bench-blocks/cz-rear-sight-pusher.html

This info might be a little late for you, but could be beneficial for someone else.

Thanks. Looks like a nice tool. And the rails fit in the bottom and the push screw can get deep in the dovetail unlike the universal pushers. Nice! I already ordered the NcSTAR. Oh well. Hey, if the NcSTAR fails or doesn't work, this may be in order. Thx.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:47:56 AM by john seeley »

Offline Ktm45

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
I have one of these CZC sight pushers and used it many many times.  IMO it should really be named a “sight adjuster”..   It fits the rails perfectly but the throw is short for removing something. The adjustable tip is round and adjusts to slight angles but imo the stubborn sight the OP was talking about would not be a job I would use this particular pusher/adjuster on. By the way make sure you use a piece of something like an old credit card and place it between the sight and this adjuster. It WILL leave a round circle for sure. I used. Piece of chamois and it still marked a sight.   I actually take this sight adjuster in my range tool box as it’s small and contained.   

Offline john seeley

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »
...but imo the stubborn sight the OP was talking about would not be a job I would use this particular pusher/adjuster on.

Why's that? Because of the way the pusher head angles it may not be sturdy? Or the way the slide is anchored in there? Or just the general size of it? Thx.

Offline Ktm45

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 05:32:53 PM »
The frame of this pusher is a real good one piece.    The bolt/screw has a .216 inch shaft, the small pin that actually pushes the small ( head/wobbling  contact area) is .105 in, the actual contact pad area is round and .190 in.    So on a really stuck rear sight as the OP said it is you might end up buying a new part for this $100 pusher. Like I said I’ve had this puppy for years and I only use it adjust not push on really tough stuff.   IMO some thick belt leather, a vice, a good hammer and punch are needed for this one particular job being talked about.  I have two other pushers I would use before the CZ unit.   That’s just me

Offline john seeley

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 05:48:56 PM »
Thanks. Sounds like a perfect tool for fine adjustments at the range. Hope the NcStar works. Should get it by Mon.

Offline Ktm45

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 06:29:27 PM »
Like I say John the CZ unit is a fine unit...but imo it has its limits and I’m thinking your sight be past it’s “recommended range” so to speak.  Masking tape is your best friend in these jobs. Pieces of old leather boots are even better along with spall pieces of old credit cards..  And yup some of these CZ rear sights can be tough...but most of the time they are fine..  And don’t get mad at me for saying this but make sure there is not any kind of set screw in the sight causing you this problem.  Ok now you can yell at me 🙃.   

Offline john seeley

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 10:14:09 PM »
Thanks. I took the set screw out before I started. But at a point where the darn thing wouldn't budge with a sledge hammer and steel punch, I had to stop and think, 'what am I forgetting". But as far as I know, there's only one set screw on the factory rear sights of the P01. My bench isn't the most solid, so it was rocking quite a bit on each strike. Vise is secure to the bench, but the bench is older than me and I'm in my 60s.  :D

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »
You absolutely need to have your bench and vise STABLE. The instability of your bench decreases the force you are able to administer to the sight and has obviously increased the probability of damaging the slide. Hopefully the sight pusher you have coming will get the job done but in the mean time you really should think about a work surface to mount your vise on that does not move.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 11:23:15 AM »
Or, take the vise off the bench, mount it to a piece of 2X8 board, set the board/vise in the floor, stand on the board, bend down, use the punch and hammer to remove the sight.  Between the flat piece of board on the floor and your weight on the board it should be pretty stable, if you can keep the punch on the sight and hit the punch with the hammer, something's gotta give.

I've (twice now) laid an AR15 upper receiver on the floor, put my foot on it and installed the barrel nut.  Finally bought a barrel clamp fixture to go in my bench vise and do all that using a vise now, but my big foot and some of my (big) weight was enough to hold the receiver in place those two builds.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline john seeley

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
Good advice. Thanks. If the pusher doesn't work I now have a few options.

anything