Author Topic: A good story about why to plunk match rounds when reloading?  (Read 229 times)

Offline newageroman

A good story about why to plunk match rounds when reloading?
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »
Glock match yesterday.  Normally I hide CZs in Glock bags but I was supplied with G17 and ammo so I'm in. shot so-so, was good to just put rounds down and and hang with the gents. So last stage-1st shot gun jammed. I let the RO clear it. It was stuck in the rifling-long COAL. It required decent effort to clear. Other 2 lanes were waiting ect... uggg.. Finished the stage and went to empty chamber and drop the hammer and same thing. I cleared it this time, kept the bullet. I was blamed for limp-wristing, which I HAVE done before, but it's been years, so it was debated on the way home with some good ribbing.
Got home, popped the round in and same thing, JAMMED. He mentioned that he did plunk the rounds and he uses the separate lyman style chamber checkers. He dropped it in and it stood way proud. I told him it looked like sabotage to me but whatevs.

Back to shooting CZs and plunking my on match rounds.
Hope ya'll all had a great weekend and stay safe.
75B-milsurp- (first CZ build)
SP-01-SAO-compedOpenMajor w/DOT
97B stock for now
SAR P8L
..others..

Offline JBruns

Re: A good story about why to plunk match rounds when reloading?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 07:11:13 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems at the shoot.

I've noticed my S2 is more picky than any of my other 9's of various makes. Mine is not a OAL issue, but slight case expansion. I have a single round plunk tester, but that's not going to work for me if as I'd like to check every round I make. So I'm looking at the 100 rounds plunk testers. Shock Bottle, Armanov and Lyman each make one. Does anyone have any experience with any of them, good or bad?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 08:13:18 AM »
I'm not sure I'd trust a rig like that to be "right" for my pistols.

One CZ to the next you can find differences in what they'll chamber.

Awhile back I was loading for an M&P 5" FDE 9MM but had the CZ P07 on my hip at the time.  We always hear that CZ's are the example of short chambers in handguns.  So I pulled the P09 9MM apart, grabbed the barrel and used it to set up overall length for the new 124 grain hollow points I was loading.  I "figured" if they would plunk in the P09 barrel the sloppy/loose M&P would eat them up just fine.  Nope.  Forgot the M&P had the new Apex barrel in it.  Went to the range, couldn't get it to completely chamber rounds 100%.  It would chamber some but not all.  Stopped shooting the M&P and shot them through the P07 9MM.

The only thing I'd trust to be sure rounds would chamber is the chamber of the pistol you load them for.  Or, if you have more than one pistol in that caliber and want to be able to load ammo that works in all of them you'll have to figure out which pistol has the shortest chamber and use it to set up your overall lengths for each bullet brand/type.  Then write it down in the reloading log book.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline George16

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems at the shoot.

I've noticed my S2 is more picky than any of my other 9's of various makes. Mine is not a OAL issue, but slight case expansion. I have a single round plunk tester, but that's not going to work for me if as I'd like to check every round I make. So I'm looking at the 100 rounds plunk testers. Shock Bottle, Armanov and Lyman each make one. Does anyone have any experience with any of them, good or bad?

I bought an Armanov and Hundo by Shockbottle at the same time to test which one is better. I like the aluminum 100-round Hundo by Shockbottle compared to the Armanov. I keep the Hundo and returned the Armanov.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:37:18 AM by George16, Reason: Spelling »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:30:54 AM »
I have a Hundo and so far it's been perfect with all of my CZ's. As I starting shooting more matches, checking each round in the barrel became a chore. FWIW, I load coated lead . 357 bullets. When I start with a new projectile, I do all of my testing with individual barrels, but for pre match prep the Hundo works great. The majority of rounds rejected by the Hundo cycle just fine in my CZ's and get used in practice.  After checking a few thousand, I've yet to have one fail to cycle in match.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:04:01 PM »
That's awesome news earl, thanks for sharing. the shock bottles would be my preferance if I were in the market for one. Maybe later on when things get more normal and matches become less $$$

I also took the time to say special thanks to one of the GSSF ROs that was doing about perfect job. He was very attentive but not pushy. He kept things moving with his voice and demeanor but was not really aggressive with it. He also gently/swiftly yanked a kid in a pokemon pullover back behind the LOF when his dad was in the process of bagging his gun and wasn't completely clear. The shooter was talking to the RO at station 3, and they didn't notice the kid flanking around his dads back and circling in, with interest, thinking everything was over (dad likely told him last stage then we can go). Kid was also wasting pasters, just wadding them up casually and letting them fall out of his hands into the grass in between rounds of pasting. Then just tossed a line of lik~25 slightly crumbled pasters in the trash. I just rolled my eyes but hey the kid is here with his dad outside in open air and sunlight so whatevs... Admittedly it is a dicotomy of being cheap and saving every paster but then also capturing other ridiculous 2A items I'm sure most would think is way more wasteful.

In the end it was a good day. There is still a chance I will win a glock by lottery not by shooting prowess. If that happens its G34 MOS or nadda... Speaking of which, there WAS one dude with that exact setup. I wanted to ask him what ammo he was shooting and powder choice ect. as it had a threaded barrel and comp on it as well. It looked similar to the SJC 11 port I have on the SP-01 but shorter like the 5 port version or whatever. Just as he finished his stage and had a sec I was instructed to retrieve the gun cart and chairs. I was basically playing squire to the Fudds. Also shooting the Glock was weird. I like the Steel frame CZs better. I mean they shot well. and they are definatley lighter, I just like the heavy gun and hammer fired hair trigger (self proclaimed trigger snob).

Lastly, I jsut scored 300 rnds of 22 at Cabelas, so yes it is out there and showing up.
75B-milsurp- (first CZ build)
SP-01-SAO-compedOpenMajor w/DOT
97B stock for now
SAR P8L
..others..